OK, best wishes

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

1 recommendation

Draiman

said by guppy_fish:

If the PE doesn't have soil report, as its was not provided by the client, his options are limited, his license is on the line as is his liability insurance, not a clients budget concerns.

I'm still not seeing where the PE is at fault here ...

Thanks for the input but you've gone so far off track and your not helping at all. Feel free to review the thread for info but your input is no longer wanted. I'm sorry about that.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k to guppy_fish

Premium Member

to guppy_fish
said by guppy_fish:

If the PE doesn't have soil report, as its was not provided by the client, his options are limited, his license is on the line as is his liability insurance, not a clients budget concerns.

Sure, assuming the building is going to be floating on quicksand is fine, right.

A PE's job is to design a safe, compliant foundation that also happens to meet the job requirements. Overbuilding a ridiculous foundation because he was too lazy to investigate, or even ask about, soil conditions is a display of incompetence.

I'm with Xcal here (and I'm a PE): That guy screwed up and his work OUGHT to be ridiculed. It's well deserved.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

1 edit

Draiman

said by garys_2k:

said by guppy_fish:

Sure, assuming the building is going to be floating on quicksand is fine, right.

A PE's job is to design a safe, compliant foundation that also happens to meet the job requirements. Overbuilding a ridiculous foundation because he was too lazy to investigate, or even ask about, soil conditions is a display of incompetence.

I'm with Xcal here (and I'm a PE): That guy screwed up and his work OUGHT to be ridiculed. It's well deserved.

What burns me is he knew he overbuilt it to crazy specs but had the balls to ask for $1,500 to stamp it. At that point a monkey could have stamped the drawings. The next thing will be getting my money back for the stamps unless he does the job correctly. I've contacted the state PE society today and they said they'd be happy to investigate it if we can't work it out.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

said by Draiman:

I've contacted the state PE society today and they said they'd be happy to investigate it if we can't work it out.

One thing you have to remember, the State Society represents the Engineer.

The State Board represents the government.