StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2
reply to Hotch

Re: More fast food employee stupidity

Many Smartphones (iPhone, Android units etc) embed GPS data in images (EXIF fields). Google "EXIF viewer" and take a look at images taken by your Smartphone and/or camera. If they contain Latitude/Longitude fields then the images are being geotagged.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
All of it is turned off. I remember where I was when I take those pics. I'm not senile!
--
Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
said by Juggernaut:

I'm not senile!

Well not yet But in 20-30 years will you remember where you took your pics?

Geotagging is not always a bad thing. The problem is end-user ignorance. Sending pics directly from your Smartphone to FB etc may allow others to determine exactly where you were/are along with other personal info.
--

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
What is this 'FB' thing you speak of?

True, it's not always a bad thing; a remote location that may be hard to find, a fishing hole etc. are good uses. But, other than that, it's a fail for me.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
Oh it's this small website that about half the population of the planet uses to publish their personal info, thoughts, location and pics of themselves and friends. Just a passing fad I suspect

PS: Oops I forgot to add Bank

--

Hotch

join:2012-06-12
reply to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

Many Smartphones (iPhone, Android units etc) embed GPS data in images (EXIF fields). Google "EXIF viewer" and take a look at images taken by your Smartphone and/or camera. If they contain Latitude/Longitude fields then the images are being geotagged.

Thanks for the info, it's appreciated!

But can I trust my carries, say Verizon or AT&T to tell me before I buy a Smartphone if the camera are geotagged?

Or maybe there is a constantly current website that tells that?

airwavz
Always the green wire

join:2011-09-11
Mount Juliet, TN
kudos:1
reply to Juggernaut
said by Juggernaut:

What is this 'FB' thing you speak of?

ROFL'ing

I'll be the first to admit; don't have an account on it, post to it, read it or have any use for it at all. FB is just a complete waste of time. Besides, when could I possibly squeeze it into my schedule - I have more important things to do, like reading and posting on the forums at this little site called DSLR all night and day....