how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

malletto

join:2009-01-03
Purcellville, VA

They caused the lack of subscribers by stopping expansion

I would think the slowdown in subscribers is because they aren't expanding anymore. If they aren't expanding then there isn't even an option for new people to sign up. They basically limit their maximum subscriber pool all by themselves.

UnnDunn
Premium
join:2005-12-21
Brooklyn, NY

They're also facing surprisingly stiff opposition from the likes of Comcast, Cablevision and Time Warner Cable, who are all ramping up internet speeds, offering crazy intro bundle deals and providing as many value-adds as they can to stop customers from leaving or win them back.

As good as FiOS Internet is, frankly that's the only real differentiator they've got. Their TV product is not all that amazing and their phone product is not much better than standard POTS.

HaloFans

join:2006-12-18
reply to malletto

Yep. When your neighbor 100 feet away can get FiOS, and you can't (and never will), that is just terrible advertising.

Adding on top that it is more expensive is a huge turn off.

This tech is supposed to be cheaper than cable is, but since telcos don't want to be billed like utilities yet want to be treated like them, this bullshit spawns this price gouging model.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4
reply to malletto

Maybe in new markets but they are expanding in some current markets.

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY
reply to UnnDunn

said by UnnDunn:

As good as FiOS Internet is, frankly that's the only real differentiator they've got. Their TV product is not all that amazing and their phone product is not much better than standard POTS.

How is the phone product "better" than standard POTS? Standard POTS doesn't rely on power being available at the customer premises.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to ptrowski

The are "fulfilling franchise agreements" where it suits them. They are not doing any new expansion. I hear every other day how NJ was supposed to be 100% wired and VZ is cobbling stuff together to get at those metrics and never intended to wire NJ 100% with fiber. On top of that they were getting government $$$ and breaks from NJ, and nobody calls them out. Manhattan isn't doing much better.

On top of this, record profits, and every other day Shammo comes out brazenly saying, FU we are going to raise rates everywhere, and when we are done, we are going to do it again.

Cable w/ Docsis 3 is competitive and can handle 99$ and while their 3 play bundles are me too, their internet-only deals are 50% less than verizon.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4

Granted its not in my area but in my drive in RI they are wiring up some new towns. They have the black cylinders attached to the fiber strapped to the bottom of the poles.

buzz_4_20

join:2003-09-20
Limestone, ME
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·Pioneer Wireless
reply to UnnDunn

With the FTTH tech, VZ can beat the pants off of DOCSIS based services.

But it's not as profitable as wireless so since they can't get as much blood from FIOS as from Wireless so they don't bother investing.

Invest in the future not in next week.

somebodeez
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-24
here
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to malletto

said by malletto:

I would think the slowdown in subscribers is because they aren't expanding anymore. If they aren't expanding then there isn't even an option for new people to sign up. They basically limit their maximum subscriber pool all by themselves.

This was my first thought upon reading the article.

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16
kudos:2
reply to UnnDunn

Compared to Cablevision TV it is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. Youve got to be joking.