IamGimli

join:2004-02-28
Canada
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to DKS

Re: [Serious] Scarborough block party turns violent

said by DKS:

Perhaps you should ask the Chiefs of Police in Canada about the effectiveness of the long gun registry? Again, the political right whines, carps and complains from their bankruptcy.

Why should I ask political lobbyists who accept gifts from the main company holding Government contracts for the maintenance of the long gun registry about the long gun registry? I might as well ask a new car salesman whether I should buy new or used.

BTW before you blindly follow the CACP you should look into their position on the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Unless you want that gone too.

»www.ualberta.ca/~clement2/cacp.pdf

said by DKS:

Both points are nonsense and not part of any legitimate gun control argument. They are only the paranoid arguments of the right, attempting to reduce the argument to their believed point of ridiculousness. Such strategies may assist in reduction of harm to society, but never reduce it to a zero point. That's impossible.

Yet there's no evidence of any potential "reduced harm to society" either, whatever that means.

You want to "reduce harm to society"? Ban alcohol. Alcohol has no useful purpose and is involve is many more Canadian deaths than firearms. Oh wait, you've tried that already and only created MORE crime and "damage to society" as a result. The very definition of insanity is repeating the same actions expecting different results.

NCRGuy

join:2008-03-03
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by IamGimli:

BTW before you blindly follow the CACP you should look into their position on the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Unless you want that gone too.

»www.ualberta.ca/~clement2/cacp.pdf

Now we're trotting out 30 year old policy statements to attack current policies? #FAIL

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to IamGimli

said by IamGimli:

You want to "reduce harm to society"? Ban alcohol. Alcohol has no useful purpose and is involve is many more Canadian deaths than firearms. Oh wait, you've tried that already and only created MORE crime and "damage to society" as a result.

Funny you brought that up, a group of us discussed that idea last night after dinner and it stemmed from a discussion on gun control!

I relayed that I was frustrated that despite my and 'our' (being my friends) respect for responsible behaviours and proper societal conventions, the rest of society may not be. Thus, people in power create laws that won't solve the problem that creates this fear in the citizens they're placating...

Then I suggested "why don't they ban alcohol? Look at what happens downtown St. Catharines on a Saturday night, fights everywhere, sometimes broken windows, or in the down town bar scene of Toronto? There they need officers everywhere, some on horses, and those booze fueled situations hurt plenty of people... and even encourage shootings."

I then compared to countries where alcohol is banned, where Thursdays and Fridays are social nights where people get together and eat and laugh and eat again later.

But then we also discussed countries like Italy, Spain, Austria, Germany, etc. where people use alcohol to enhance their social interactions without the same issues that we experience in North America and the UK. Hrm..

Then we realized that if people want alcohol or drugs, they'll find a way to get it like they've already done... just the same as they'll get guns, just the same as they've been getting guns - imported from other countries.

At that point the conversation ended.

IamGimli

join:2004-02-28
Canada
kudos:2
reply to NCRGuy

said by NCRGuy:

Now we're trotting out 30 year old policy statements to attack current policies? #FAIL

The only #FAIL is gun control. It has failed everywhere it's been attempted and it's always the fascists that push for it in their quest to control every aspect of everybody else's life.

The goal of the CACP is to get Canada as close as they can to a police state and their policies (all their policies) have been proof of that ever since it's creation.