uniqs

JohnB
@personainc.net

JohnB to avenison

Anon

to avenison

Re: Sudbury ON - FibreOP FTTH - job fair Thursday 6pm

Hello Everyone,

The network build is finally moving ahead again in New Sudbury. We had some issues with Sudbury hydro and the poles, minor set back. Sudbury Hydro is not an easy group to deal with, and they are the reason that the south end will be last in the city to be covered.

Grandview and the surrounding area is being done this week, and that entire section of New Sudbury should be finished very shortly. After that, it is that Hawthorne street area. The Valley is still being worked on, but is nearing completion. Our goal of New Sudbury and the Valley being covered in July will likely be missed by a couple weeks due to external factors.

If any one has questions relating to the build, I will try my best to answer them!
Riplin
join:2002-05-13
canada

Riplin

What was the issue with hydro? They strung fibre many years ago under other sub company name/names but never branched out into neighborhoods preferring only to service "business needs". Bet they're pissed that some competition is here actually doing the work they should have done many years ago

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by Riplin:

What was the issue with hydro? They strung fibre many years ago under other sub company name/names but never branched out into neighborhoods preferring only to service "business needs". Bet they're pissed that some competition is here actually doing the work they should have done many years ago

Probably with rent costs for the poles...
Riplin
canada

Riplin

Probably rent yes. Funny thing is where did hydro get the money to put the poles up in the first place? We paid for the poles, we paid for the labor. When you think about it you gotta wonder why they're even allowed to charge any rent at all.

avenison
join:2009-12-10

avenison to JohnB

to JohnB
If they were demoing the services downtown, can I hope that areas off of Notre Dame will get connected before winter?

JohnB
@personainc.net

JohnB

Anon

Yes, the areas off Notre Dame will be connected well before winter - target is begin the build in that area in September 2012.

The issue with Sudbury Hydro was the cost of the pole space, which was way out of line compared to what other utility companies were charging out east.
Riplin
canada

Riplin

said by JohnB :

The issue with Sudbury Hydro was the cost of the pole space, which was way out of line compared to what other utility companies were charging out east.

Exactly, cause you are in direct competition with hydro's fibre sub companies who don't want to let you use the poles so they jack the rent and hope you'll go away.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning

said by Riplin:

said by JohnB :

Exactly, cause you are in direct competition with hydro's fibre sub companies who don't want to let you use the poles so they jack the rent and hope you'll go away.

Pole attachment rates are set by the OEB.

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to JohnB

Premium Member

to JohnB
said by JohnB15:

Hello Everyone,

The network build is finally moving ahead again in New Sudbury. We had some issues with Sudbury hydro and the poles, minor set back. Sudbury Hydro is not an easy group to deal with, and they are the reason that the south end will be last in the city to be covered.

Grandview and the surrounding area is being done this week, and that entire section of New Sudbury should be finished very shortly. After that, it is that Hawthorne street area. The Valley is still being worked on, but is nearing completion. Our goal of New Sudbury and the Valley being covered in July will likely be missed by a couple weeks due to external factors.

If any one has questions relating to the build, I will try my best to answer them!

What about the bustling Metropolis of Chelmsford? I saw some locates and whatnot that looked to be going on, but no actual activity though I noticed the ground is dug up in some areas around the CO....

Just curious if we'll be before the end of 2012 or looking at 2013....there's a sign on RR-35 that says 'Fibreop' is here, but that's as you're coming down into Azilda near where they're rebuilding the Tim Hortons....is it available in all of Azilda yet?
Riplin
canada

1 edit

Riplin to HeadSpinning

to HeadSpinning
So the oeb rates were that out of line with eastern (edit) canada to put a temporary stop on roll out?

Sounds fishy to me.

My mistake on location.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning

He never said Eastern Ontario. I suspect he meant Eastern Canada (i.e. Atlantic Provinces) where Aliant is from.
Riplin
canada

Riplin

I'd be curious to know if Sudbury Hydro falls under the cloud of the OEB. Being a municipal system it may not be bound by ON rules
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning

said by Riplin:

I'd be curious to know if Sudbury Hydro falls under the cloud of the OEB. Being a municipal system it may not be bound by ON rules

Enwin in Windsor is owned by the City of Windsor and is bound by the OEB. I see no reason why Sudbury would be any different.