uniqs
share rss forum feed

Hitman66610
Pan-National Aquisitioner
Premium
join:2010-01-08
Oakville, ON

[Windows] Cannot get network shares working with Boxee Box

I will copy paste what I posted in the Boxee support forums. Neither them nor official Boxee support were of any help at all. The reason I post here is because I am sure it has something to do with my networking setup, since the Boxee Box is simple in that regard. Here is the post:

"First of all, I have a slightly less than typical setup. The main thing being that I have two routers; the wireless router is a Linksys WRT400N with DD-WRT on it. I use that because the range on my other router is bad. The wired router is a D-Link DIR-657 with regular firmware, and the wireless turned off. The Linksys router is plugged into the D-Link, and DHCP is turned off on the Linksys. So the network administration features typically used in a router are managed by the D-Link, and the Linksys is just used for it's wireless range. The computer which my media is coming from is a desktop with Windows 7 on it, and I am using Windows file sharing. This computer connects to the network wirelessly. The Boxee Box is using a wired connection to the D-Link router. It is not directly into the router, though, because I have a powerline adapter connecting the two. If I configured all of this correctly, the Win7 computer should just be another device going through to the D-Link router without any complications created by the Linksys router.

The particulars of the Win7 desktop computer are that it is running Comodo Internet Security Premium, and this handles the firewall. Windows Firewall is disabled. I have enabled file sharing and whatnot, and it appears to be configured correctly. On the computer I am on right now (a laptop running Win7 that is wirelessly connected to the network) I can see the shares and access them fine. The HomeGroup is set up and these two computers are a part of it. I have also enabled NetBIOS on the desktop, and streaming is turned on.

The Boxee Box has the login information for the desktop computer with the media on it, and the HomeGroup is typed in to the settings (typed like "HomeGroup" since that is what Win7 shows it as). When I go into the SMB sources, there is nothing there. I cannot use any of the other options either, for the record.

I have configured port forwarding on my D-link router since it has a static IP (the ports being 137-139 UDP and TCP), and believe I have also done it in Comodo ISP. I have also defined a trusted network in Comodo ISP using the IP range of my network. As per this discussion I have also removed Windows Live Essentials from my computer.

All that being said, is there any idea as to why sharing files with my Boxee Box might not be working? I can't think of anything else to do. The most likely culprit, from what I can tell, is that I have configured my firewall incorrectly, or that I have configured the Linksys router improperly. Unless there is some hidden setting deep within something which is wrong, I can't really think of much else. I am looking for any sort of feedback on this. Thanks in advance!"
--
Xbox Gamertag: THE GREEN GH0ST

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18

Is this what you're trying to connect to?

So if I have the layout of your network right :

internet -> D-Link DIR-657 (no wireless, portfwd TCP / UDP 137-139) -> Linksys WRT400N (wireless,no DHCP) -> your computer
              |
              Boxee

Is that correct?

Are you trying to access the Boxee from your LAN or from the internet?

Also, is the Linksys connected to the DLINK via its WAN port or one of the LAN ports?

Regards

Hitman66610
Premium
Oakville, ON

1 edit

Yes, that setup is correct, and yes, that is what I am trying to connect to.

I am trying to access Boxee from my LAN, as in share files with it from my desktop.

The Linksys is plugged into the D-Link via it's WAN port. There is nothing else plugged into it, and everything else goes wireless of the Linksys.
--

Serbtastic
You Know How Many People I Have Buried?
Premium
join:2002-02-24
Stoney Creek, ON

That's the problem. You need to connect Linksys and D-Link via both their LAN ports.

Hitman66610
Premium
Oakville, ON

I switched the connection to the LAN port on the Linksys just now, and it wouldn't allow internet access through to the wireless devices. Just to make sure, the LAN ports are the ones labelled with numbers, and the WAN port is labelled "internet", correct?
--

Serbtastic
Premium
Stoney Creek, ON

said by Hitman66610:

I switched the connection to the LAN port on the Linksys just now, and it wouldn't allow internet access through to the wireless devices. Just to make sure, the LAN ports are the ones labelled with numbers, and the WAN port is labelled "internet", correct?

Wouldn't allow internet access on what devices? Are the affected devices IP addresses' in the same network range as the D-Link lan?

Hitman66610
Premium
Oakville, ON

The devices which connect to the Linksys router had limited connectivity when I switched the cable over to the LAN port.

The devices connected to the D-Link router have IP addresses in the 192.168.0.xxx range, and the devices connected to the Linksys are 192.168.1.xxx. Those correspond with the IP addresses of the routers themselves, which are 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.1.1 respectively.
--

bdnhsv

join:2012-01-20
Huntsville, AL

turn off dhcp in your linksys and allow the drink to provide it for all your devices. You've have 2 separate networks running, but what you want is 1.

bdnhsv

Huntsville, AL

dlink - darned auto correct.

Hitman66610
Premium
Oakville, ON
reply to bdnhsv

Will that cause any problems using things like TightVNC? Since theoretically, this computer and the other computer I use TightVNC on will have the same IP address.
--

bdnhsv

Huntsville, AL

If all your computers are getting IP's via DHCP then they won't have the same IP's. If you have set them statically, then you'll have to re-address the ones with static IP's in the 192.168.1.x scope. How many devices do you have in your network and what is your subnet mask (255.255.255.0) ? And I'd still connect the routers via LAN ports on each one (not the internet port on one to a LAN port on the other).

Hitman66610
Premium
Oakville, ON

So I turned the DHCP off on my Linksys router, and it confused my computers into thinking I was on a public network or something. I also got some random weird IP address on my computers.

Would it work if I changed the Linksys router to be within the range of the D-Link router? As in change the IP of the Linksys router itself so all of the IPs are in the same range? That way I can still manage my static IPs (I just add a zero instead of a 1 to the ones on the Linksys router).

And my subnet mask is for the D-Link router is 255.255.255.224, and it's 255.255.255.0 for the Linksys router. I have 3 computers, an iPhone and other random stuff connecting through wireless (the Linksys router). I have two gaming consoles and my Boxee Box connected wired to the D-Link router.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to Hitman66610

What is the IP address of your boxee box (on your internal network) and your win7 box.

In win7, do you *have* to use homegroup, or can you use traditional workgroup file sharing? Because home group isn't gonna work for boxee.

»windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind···tworking

FWIW, boxee box will do simple SMB file sharing with any server it can find, but it has to be straight SMB, not simple file sharing, and it has to be in the same workgroup, and on the same subnet (so the SMB browsing works)

After that, you'll find that SMB file sharing sucks for the boxee box, and you'll install NFS on your win7 box so you can use that instead. But let's get you there first.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

Hitman66610
Premium
Oakville, ON

The Boxee is 192.168.0.104, and the PC is 192.168.1.108.

I honestly didn't know there was a difference between a homegroup and a workgroup except for the name. Shows how much I know :-P How would I go about making a workgroup as opposed to a homegroup? According to those instructions, you need to join a domain, which I do not believe I have.

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA

Oh bad link then. Making a workgroup is easy

»windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind···orkgroup
--

Hitman66610
Premium
Oakville, ON

Apparently I was in a workgroup already, called WORKGROUP. This is true on both of my computers. I will go and change it within the Boxee settings. What next?
--

Serbtastic
Premium
Stoney Creek, ON

For home use, all computers and devices should be in the same network space (192.168.0.x/255.255.255.0 OR 192.168.1.x/255.255.255.0, NOT BOTH).

If Dlink is already 192.168.0.1, set Linksys to 192.168.0.2 and your DHCP scope to 192.168.0.100-200 (or whatever range you need). Ensure any static addresses are on the 192.168.0.x network, but are NOT within the DHCP scope and are not the same as the Dlink and Linksys.

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
reply to Hitman66610

That should do it, once boxee is in the same workgroup it should see the server.
--

Hitman66610
Premium
Oakville, ON
reply to Serbtastic

Okay, I tried that, but it ended up confusing my computers. They wouldn't connect with anything but limited connectivity, and I could not access the D-Link router interface after. I went back into the D-Link router to change everything back, but could not access it's interface afterwards. I ended up having to reset the modem to factory defaults and start over. What could cause this?
--

Serbtastic
Premium
Stoney Creek, ON

Why did you reset the modem? If you couldn't access the DLink? Also, was the machine you were using in the DLink IP address space? Can you share some more details?

Hitman66610
Premium
Oakville, ON

I changed the Linksys routers IP to be 192.168.0.2. I rebooted the modem, renewed the connection on this laptop, and ended up getting limited connectivity with the laptop. I went in to the Linksys router to change the static IPs for my devices to ones that would work, and then tried to access the D-Link router to check and see if something needed to be changed in there, and couldn't access that. So I tried to reverse the process again, so I changed the Linksys router back to it's original IP. After it rebooted, I could not access anything through it, including the web interface. Since that meant I could not fix whatever the problem is, that's what I factory reset the Linksys.
--

LowInfoVoter
Vote early, vote often, vote democrat.

join:2007-11-19
USA

said by Hitman66610:

I have two routers;

do they both have different network schemes? for instance, one as 192.168.1.* and the other 192.168.10.*?

Serbtastic
Premium
Stoney Creek, ON

Read the thread.
»Re: [Windows] Cannot get network shares working with Boxee Box

bdnhsv

Huntsville, AL
reply to Hitman66610

You have several devices, and they all need to be in the same network - in your case that sounds like 192.168.0.x . Since the dlink is the router it's also the default gateway for all your devices - so everthing other than the dlink would have it's 192.168.1.x address, subnet mask equal to what you have on the drink (I'd recommend 255.255.255.0) and default gateway of 192.168.1.1. Then you'll get into what's static and what's DHCP, and make sure the static IP's are not within the DHCP range. I'd start with the Dlink (changing it's subnet mask) and work back from there. If you have some sort of diagramming software (visio, dia, etc) then I'd suggest you draw your entire network first and include the IP info so you can have it all planned out before you start. We'd all be happy to help you proof read it. Here's an example to give you an idea of th type of diagram I'm talking about.

bdnhsv

Huntsville, AL

correction - everything should be in 192.168.0.x and use 192.168.0.1 as their gateway. That's why I suggest you diagram it first so you can proof it to make sure it all lines up.

LowInfoVoter

USA
reply to Serbtastic

the problem with two routed networks is that the edge router doesn't know how to get packets back to the internal router.

you have to manually tell the edge router to pass traffic to the internal router. you do this by creating a "static route".

otherwise, your devices in the internal router can get out, but the stuff on the outside cant get in.

LowInfoVoter

USA

2 edits
reply to bdnhsv

said by bdnhsv:

I suggest you diagram it first so you can proof it to make sure it all lines up.

use gliffy.com. free as the dickens.

quote:
and they all need to be in the same network
not always true. this works:

»www.gliffy.com/gliffy/api/client···G&size=L

i had 10.10.10.1 and 10.10.15.1 with a static route to 10.10.15.1 on 10.10.10.1. don't ask why i did it this way. just know i had a good reason to and that the important thing is that it worked.

bdnhsv

Huntsville, AL

That's a good looking tool. Thanks for sharing.

bdnhsv

Huntsville, AL
reply to LowInfoVoter

Sure a static route could work if the router will support it, but it seems like a complex way to accomplish what has been stated (to me anyway). Just my opinion.

Hitman66610
Premium
Oakville, ON
reply to LowInfoVoter

So here is the layout I have right now: »www.gliffy.com/go/publish/3761479/

I probably would need exact numbers as feedback since lastime I tried to change the IP for the Linksys, it didn't work and I lost access to the web configuration page.
--