!

One word: Disgusting

buddahbless

join:2005-03-21
Premium
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service

Re: Disgusting

Agreed... but thats big business.. why take the government handout and service the nation properly for an affordable rate when you can force them all onto LTE for $15 per GB and rape them blind.

This even makes the caped wired service overages from ATT and comcast ( $10 per 50 GB) seem affordable. If those were the rates for wireless LTE ($10 per 50GB not for 1) there would not be as much uproar. heck ATT/Verizon you could even get away with your bogus $20 hotspot fee if the data was priced as above.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

1 recommendation

reply to ITALIAN926

Re: !

Why is it "disgusting"? Mega-corporations refusing government handouts. Would you rather them accept the money and piss it away with something they are just going to abandon or otherwise not care about? Send the funds over to a telco that would actually use it.

buddahbless

join:2005-03-21
Premium
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service
I do see your point and agree they would piss it away, however the mega-corps have made sure that any new telco operation ( Caugh... local municipal broadband) that would step in on there territory are sent the way of the DODO before they even get off the ground.

Its literally a loose-loose for the consumer anyway you look at it.

jcondon

join:2000-05-27
Fishkill, NY
said by buddahbless:

I do see your point and agree they would piss it away, however the mega-corps have made sure that any new telco operation ( Caugh... local municipal broadband) that would step in on there territory are sent the way of the DODO before they even get off the ground.

I was going to say this. Why do they block the towns from doing their own thing if they aren't interested? Because some day they might get around to offering something there and don't want any competition. Why would I buy their expensive / capped LTE service when my town offers much cheaper fiber?

There are some interesting podcasts about this that I have recently listened to.

»muninetworks.org/tags/tags/broadband-bits

Cabal
Premium
join:2007-01-21
reply to ITALIAN926
Still not a charity.

Cobra11M

join:2010-12-23
Mineral Wells, TX
reply to buddahbless
said by buddahbless:

Agreed, these companies really think wireless is a replacement and it is for their business but in the end it really isnt.. at the price of 4g with overages people are just gonna stick to sat.. (used it before at a friends house..) lets just say its not so fun, 4g priceing is outragous (I understand that it costs money to operate and profit is needed) but im startin to think for rural areas they should allow increased caps (due to lesser pop..) or at least let the citys that really want their own to make it..

maartena
Elmo
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA
kudos:3
reply to cdru
said by cdru:

Why is it "disgusting"? Mega-corporations refusing government handouts. Would you rather them accept the money and piss it away with something they are just going to abandon or otherwise not care about? Send the funds over to a telco that would actually use it.

This is the issue I have with it.... there are quite a few "community broadband" projects going on. Some want to deploy their own fiber, others want to use the city light poles to deploy wifi, and again others are looking at some other affordable wireless alternative. These efforts are again and again being fought by AT&T and Verizon as they are afraid of competition, in some cases to such a point where they just send 20 lawyers @ $500 an hour, where limited city/community funds just can't fight the behemoth.

If AT&T doesn't want to connect the rural areas, but a local ISP is willing to take it on, they should NOT be allowed to fight it if they refused money to do it themselves.
--
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

1 recommendation

reply to Cabal
said by Cabal:

Still not a charity.

You wouldn't be saying that if your options were dialup or satellite.

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2
reply to ITALIAN926
Disgusting that they don't want to leach off of the government's teat? You should be thankful that those evil big corporations aren't taking even more taxpayers' money.

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16
Yes, its disgusting. There are thousands, no, MILIIONS upon millions of people in this country that want FiOS / Uverse access, and they wont even build it with taxpayer money ! Yes, its truly disgusting.

openbox9
Premium
Germany
Then let another company leach off of the government. I'm still scratching my head why not taking government money is such a bad thing for a business.

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
I'll bet ya that if it was a billion dollars, they would have taken it. This was like Bill Gates walking by a $1 bill, and actually spending the time to pick it up.

Verizon is getting fined way more money by PSC's/ PUC's for inadequate phone service right now.

openbox9
Premium
Germany
Ok. So the question still remains why are VZ and T being vilified for not taking the money? If indeed the amount of money was too small, we as taxpayers should be thankful that it's not being squandered any more than it already is.

How much if VZ being fined?

garrybussey

@communications.net
reply to ITALIAN926
Google Fiber should light a fire under their asses.