share rss forum feed

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15

2 edits
reply to telcodad

Re: Speculation of 305 tier provisioned speeds/prices?

I am wondering what modem(s) may be used with this new 305 Mbps "Platinum" tier. It has to be one that can bind at least 8 downstream channels in order to provide that data rate.

The Comcast press release (»www.comcast.com/About/PressRelea···ect=true) doesn't mention anything about the equipment that will be needed/used, but the Multichannel News article (»www.multichannel.com/article/487···iers.php) about it seems to indicate a wireless gateway device will be supplied at no extra cost ( 'Included in the service for no additional charge are Xfinity Signature Support ... ; a dedicated "personal communications consultant" assigned to the account; and a DOCSIS 3.0-based wireless gateway. ').

However, in another article I found on the CED Magazine site (»www.cedmagazine.com/news/2012/07···ata-tier), it states, "Comcast’s service uses a new commercial-grade wireless gateway and commercial-grade cable modem that are both provided for an additional $20 per month."

I'd like to believe the Multichannel News article that, for the premium price they are charging for the Platinum tier, they would not be charging an additional equipment rental fee on top of it!

Could the "new commercial-grade wireless gateway" that the CED Magazine article mentions be the new ARRIS TG1672(»www.multichannel.com/article/484···r_Q4.php) that is supposed to be available soon?