how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tgermon

join:2007-12-31
Vanceboro, NC

Internet Availability

Hello, Is there anyone on here, who works with suddenlink, that can find out if a certain area may be in the works to get internet service? My road is off of a road which has just had cable lines installed. They did not run it down any side roads. I am half a mile down a side road from the road which had the lines installed. I am in Vanceboro, NC off of hwy 118. Can anyone check this out?

SL86

join:2009-06-01
Greenville, NC
kudos:3
Hi tgermon,

I have your address from when we last spoke. I will check again on this for you.

tgermon

Vanceboro, NC
Okay, thank you. Looks like suddenlink is getting closer to me. Would love to get off satellite internet one day.

tgermon

Vanceboro, NC
reply to tgermon
Now that suddenlink is going past my road, would it be helpful to get a petition of residents on my road that show a interest in maybe getting internet service from suddenlink? Or, would I just be wasting my time? I have heard that suddenlink has been checking with residents, a road over from mine, if they would be interested in getting service. We are getting tired of the satellite internet scene.

moldypickle

join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
I done this with TW back up north. The engineers finally told me that (for TW atleast) I had to get commitments from 22 houses per mile to run more main line...... or go ahead and pay the 20 something grand per mile they charge for main line.

tgermon

Vanceboro, NC

3 edits
reply to tgermon
Maybe someone can help. SL checked this for me and said the cable was not suddenlinks. I also checked with the New Bern office, and they said the same. The cable was run a couple of months back. The cable is west of Vanceboro on hwy 118 from Piney Neck Road and goes 4.8 miles to honolulu road. Now there are round white posts with orange signs at every pole where the cable goes up or down that says buried fiber optic cable, Suddenlink. Maybe it goes to someone special and is a big secret. Is it possible someone paid to have it run to them? Can some other company run some cables and put suddenlink signs up without suddenlink knowing? I don't understand why someone would run a cable 4.8 miles and not offer anyone service. Is there any way to get up with a suddenlink engineer or construction department by phone or email? We need something better than satellite internet.

The manager at the New Bern suddenlink said, for them to run new cables, there would have to be between 24 to 28 houses per mile and 60% would have to sign up. He said, if they will not make money they will not do it. Also said a petition would not do any good, they would not even look at it.

moldypickle

Haughton, LA
It could be a main line run meant to connect nodes and not houses. ATT just dropped a fiber line the whole length of my road, but it was only to connect a dslam

tgermon

Vanceboro, NC
You would think they would want to get some people on that line to make some more money. Why would suddenlink say it is not their cable when it actually is?

moldypickle

Haughton, LA
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
If it's a main line or a back haul, then phone support or level 1s might not known it even exists as they really have no interaction with that. Level 2 tech might, or a plant tech would.

Or they could also be laying some dark fiber, in which case no one beyond the plant would really know.

shelby10763

join:2005-03-12
Greenville, NC
The drop could be for planned expansion.

tgermon

Vanceboro, NC

1 edit
SL sent me a instant message saying, "The cable you are referring to is fiber optic cable that is run for a business. There isn't any Cable TV plant (RF) there, which is needed to provide our TV and Internet services". Maybe one day. What can we do to expedite getting service?

areacode304

join:2006-08-26
WV
said by tgermon:

What can we do to expedite getting service?

1. Figure out whose ass you need to kiss.
2. Buy lots of Chap Stick.
3. Get to work.

I'm not even sure if that's a joke or not.