JPL
Premium
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4

1 edit
reply to skuv

Re: Thought FIOS TV was the best until I saw this. Wow

So... they charge $4 - $5/subscriber for ESPN because it's not popular? What?! Please explain that to me. As for being 'forced' to be on the lowest possible tier - I don't think I'm the one who misunderstands how these things work. There is a carriage agreement placed between the content provider and the service provider. The tier at which the channel is to be carried is spelled out in that carriage agreement. Of cource every channel would love to be carried in the lowest tier of every provider out there - it maximizes their profits. But there are VERY few channels that have the leverage to make that happen with every provider out there. ESPN/Disney is one such provider. Make no mistake - they are EXTREMELY popular channels. Without them this venture will fail. Just that simple. Don't take my word for it - go back and read that story that matcarl linked in. They say the same... exact... thing. Guess they don't understand how this whole thing works, either, huh?

join:2012-06-27
New York, NY

said by JPL:

So... they charge $4 - $5/subscriber for ESPN because it's not popular? What?! Please explain that to me.

I'm just not buying it. ESPN's popularity in the home is mediocre at best. The driving force of the network is really sports bars - not Google Fiber's intended market.

As the younger demographic continues to embrace "cord cutting" ESPN's popularity will continue to fade. Many young people have lived without ESPN now and none of them are particularly upset about not having it thanks to the Internet.

ESPN has no place on a residential service's lowest channel package. I don't see a single regular ESPN program in the 25 top-rated cable shows last week. Where's SportsCenter in this list?
Expand your moderator at work

JPL
Premium
Downingtown, PA
reply to 09129800

Hmm... I guess the sports that ESPN shows doesn't count, huh? They don't have 'shows' in the traditional sense (apart from stuff like Sports Center). But I digress:

»tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/1···/112678/

Didn't look very hard, huh? Granted that's from December, but considering it was one of the first links that showed up when I Googled 'ESPN viewership' I figured it would do. Took me all of 14 seconds to find that one. Yeah, I don't know where I ever got the notion that ESPN is popular.

join:2012-06-27
New York, NY

3.7 million viewers is quite pathetic compared to the ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX/etc. and even Internet cat videos. That is 1% of the United States' population.

Just face the facts. ESPN is no one's "killer app" that warrants them sticking with shitty 30/5 Mbps Internet service and over-compressed HD from Time Warner for twice as much as symmetrical uncapped 1 Gbps fiber and every other HD channel from Google.

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1% of the population? Who cares? The top cable show is 2% of the population, so what is exactly your point?. According to Nielson, ESPN had the #5 and #10 show on all channels. Im watching the Yankee game on ESPN right now. Your points are all completely wrong »www.nielsen.com/us/en/insights/t···ion.html

ITALIAN926

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

3 edits

Furthermore, if you look closely at all the top shows on the Nielson ratings, they are only 3-6&% of US homes. That should tell you plain as day that there are a LOT of different channels, that different people watch. They are all basically necessary for a provider to carry.

quote:
ESPN is no one's "killer app" that warrants them sticking with shitty 30/5 Mbps Internet service
30/5 is shitty all of a sudden? I find it quite comical that 99% of users will see NO difference between a "shitty" 30/5 and a 1000/1000. The only time that speed will be utilized is when they're running a speedtest,( LOL). to gloat, on dslreports.com

ITALIAN926

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

What are you talking about?, Im simply saying that ESPN is an must- carry channel. If 10% of people wont sign up with Google because of that, its a lot ! Factor in the other stations they arent carrying, and thats a huge hit. Then you want to add in competition? Cmon now.

If I could have 1000/1000 for $5 a month more, I wouldnt do it. That would be a donation. I will not use that speed anytime in the near future.

JPL
Premium
Downingtown, PA
reply to 09129800

said by 09129800:

3.7 million viewers is quite pathetic compared to the ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX/etc. and even Internet cat videos. That is 1% of the United States' population.

Just face the facts. ESPN is no one's "killer app" that warrants them sticking with shitty 30/5 Mbps Internet service and over-compressed HD from Time Warner for twice as much as symmetrical uncapped 1 Gbps fiber and every other HD channel from Google.

I like how you keep changing the target here. ESPN isn't as popular as the Beatles either, so I guess it's a bust, huh? What in the world are you talking about? We're comparing CABLE CHANNELS here. The question is - why does ESPN charge more than other CABLE CHANNELS. Not 'where is ESPN in the grand scheme of things?' It's an irrelevent comparison that you're making. Again - you made the point that ESPN isn't all that popular of a cable channel. You tried to drive that point home by comparing the ratings of CABLE SHOWS for the prior week. Then I provided proof that, lo and behold, ESPN IS a popular CABLE CHANNEL! In fact, ESPN/Disney/ABC makes up a good chunk of that list of most heavily viewed cable channels. Hence they are a must carry for a CABLE COMPANY. When I provided said proof, you engaged in some sleight of hand by changing the subject. Sorry, but when someone does that, they've already lost the argument.

JPL
Premium
Downingtown, PA
reply to 09129800

Before we continue to get further wrapped around the axle, let me tell you why I think you're wrong on all this. In order for Google Fiber to be successful, they have to convince consumers to give up what they currently have and jump on board to their product. So... how do they do that? Well one way is to make their product so kick-ass compared to the competition, that it grabs your attention. I think Google has (partly) done that. Their 1 Gbps symmetrical internet service is impressive.

But then it comes down to price and value. It always does. When you look to buy a product or service, you compare what you need/want with how much it costs. If the additional cost for all that kick-ass technology isn't worth it to you, then you just don't make the switch. That's like telling a customer they're morons for not trading in their truck for a Ferrari. 'But the Ferrari is one of the fastest cars on the market!' So? Does it meet my needs? How much does it cost? Just because it's really fast doesn't mean it's worth it for me to buy.

Same thing here. Would I love 1Gbps internet? Sure. Do most consumers need anything even remotely that fast? Not right now they don't. Most consumers are going to look at what they currently have, what they currently pay, and compare that against what Google is offering, and decide if it's the right fit for them. One such item for comparison - what channels are you giving me? Which ones will I be giving up by going to your service. You may laugh at the notion that one simple channel will stop many from converting... but it will. Want to know what held me back from switching to FiOS initially? AMC. Do I watch AMC all the time? Nope. Heck at the time they didn't even have any original programming. I like their Halloween movie marathons. At the time, FiOS didn't have AMC. It really was a deal-breaker for me at the time. Stupid? Maybe, but you're dealing with the psychology of the consumer. Companies do all sorts of things to get into the heads of consumers because they know those things work. JC Penny's just recently gave up the idea of having sales. They just came up with lower prices, all the time, and did away with sales altogether. Guess what happened? Their revenue took a big hit. Yes, consumers know, instinctively, that sales are a gimmick. But so what? They work. Consumer psychology is heavily studied because if you understand the consumer, you make money.

Going back to the subject at hand, when a consumer looks at what Google is offering, they're going to weigh THE ENTIRE PACKAGE. What are they going to give up by making the switch, and what are they going to get. Most consumers would rather have 30/5 internet and ESPN than 1Gbps symmetrical internet and no ESPN.

ITALIAN926

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

quote:
Most consumers would rather have 30/5 internet and ESPN than 1Gbps symmetrical internet and no ESPN.
That summary is all you had to say JPL !

On a sidenote, do we know if Google is doing IPTV or QAM?

UofMiamiGrad
Premium
join:2001-02-03
Great Neck, NY

said by ITALIAN926:

On a sidenote, do we know if Google is doing IPTV or QAM?

It's IPTV!