spc
Search similar:

uniqs

codecx
join:2007-04-16
Mississauga, ON

codecx

Petition to bring Google Fibre to canada

As like most of you, I don't put much thought into online petitions but, I figure we have have nothing to lose for trying on this one.

»secure.avaaz.org/en/peti ··· ?abDmqdb

hm
@videotron.ca

hm

Anon

A couple of years ago google was buying or laying fibre some place around toronto.

Pretty sure this can be found either in this forum or the TSI forum. I recall the google fanbois cheering about this.

What happened to that?

codecx
join:2007-04-16
Mississauga, ON

codecx

I am not quite sure.

But, some people are suggesting the CRTC is blocking Google to bring services here.

Wouldn't surprise me, but not going to put on my tinfoil hat just yet.

hm
@videotron.ca

hm

Anon

They shouldn't be. There was already a CRTC decision that allowed foreign entities to own Canadian fibre & the hook-up. That too can be found in this forum.

So, unless Bell and Telus started something we all don't know about, then I'm not leaning on the CRTC being a factor in this, just yet.

So in effect, google can 100% own it all, but a Canadian majority holding company can sell the services. I'm not up to date on the foreign ownership thing where the CON's said they are opening the door to this. So yeah, there could still be some issues.

I even recall the TSI fanbois also bugging Rocky to jump on this ship and find the ins and outs of this and to get involved.

I'm too lazy to search. Not even sure what search term to use to find this stuff here. But it's here some place...

frankhomeand
Cisco Geek
join:2004-12-05
Oakland, CA

frankhomeand to codecx

to codecx
»fiber.google.com/about/

Thats the link and yea I signed up :P

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to hm

MVM

to hm
The government has basically removed all foreign ownership restrictions in C-38. Below 10% market share revenue (roughly $4 billion) there are zero restrictions, over that percentage the only added restriction is that they can't buy any Canadian carrier or any shared infrastructure currently used by Canadian carriers to deliver service. So those restrictions are not really onerous.

In fact of all telecom companies in Canada, only Bell/Telus/Rogers are bigger than that. Companies like Videotron serve entire provinces and still aren't over 10%.
singerie3
anon are muted
join:2008-10-12
Montreal, QC

singerie3 to codecx

to codecx
signed

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to frankhomeand

Premium Member

to frankhomeand
What did you use for a zip code? 90210?
Gheez
elwoodblues

elwoodblues to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
The infrastructure costs in Toronto would be through the roof. That's the #1 problem with any new wireline provider, the cost of building out a whole new infrastructure would prevent a ROI for a century(I exaggerate, but the cost would be huge).

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

said by elwoodblues:

The infrastructure costs in Toronto would be through the roof. That's the #1 problem with any new wireline provider, the cost of building out a whole new infrastructure would prevent a ROI for a century(I exaggerate, but the cost would be huge).

They'd never do Toronto in the near-term, it's immensely larger than Kansas City. Montreal is still significantly larger. They'd probably pick some smaller city.

The high infrastructure costs are offset by the "fibrehood" method they use, where they only build out neighbourhoods that a certain percentage of people sign up in, and they set the percentage to 5%, 10%, or 25% depending on how expensive it is to build out that area.
plebel
Premium Member
join:2011-01-27
Ottawa, ON

plebel

Premium Member

They should start in Ottawa, preferably within my neighbourhood, where the services are on overhead lines so the buildout will be cheap.

Two summers ago I watched some technicians run fiber cable for Bell behind my house. A couple of months ago, Bell finally made fiber to the home available in my neighbourhood, a full two years after running the fiber cable. Of course, the primary motivation for this rollout is to provide Fibe TV, the internet plans that use real fiber are ridiculously overpriced. If Bell can affort to roll this stuff out at whatever rate of adoption there is around here, I have no doubt Google could afford to do the same.

I signed the petition, hopefully this will help to get their attention. We can certainly use some competition from a company that is focused on providing top-tier internet services to their customers.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by plebel:

They should start in Ottawa Hamilton, preferably within my Mike's neighbourhood

Fixed that for you.

Goes to show how retarded Canada's telecom sector is. Wealthy. But totally retarded.

Mike

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

They'd probably start down east , Halifax or St John's
Roofer
join:2010-11-24

Roofer to codecx

to codecx
Words I thought I would never see in writing from an ISP: "No data caps".

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

said by Roofer:

Words I thought I would never see in writing from an ISP: "No data caps".

You mean like the plans offered by TekSavvy, Electronic Box, Acanac, etc? Plans without data caps are not rare or difficult to get.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by Guspaz:

You mean like the plans offered by TekSavvy, Electronic Box, Acanac, etc? Plans without data caps are not rare or difficult to get.

Nor all that expensive.

They're just, comparatively speaking, as slow as Kingdom Come [TM].

Mike
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

said by elwoodblues:

They'd never do Toronto in the near-term, it's immensely larger than Kansas City. Montreal is still significantly larger. They'd probably pick some smaller city.

The high infrastructure costs are offset by the "fibrehood" method they use, where they only build out neighbourhoods that a certain percentage of people sign up in, and they set the percentage to 5%, 10%, or 25% depending on how expensive it is to build out that area.

Most (not everywhere in the city , but most) of Toronto wired telecom residential services are done via poles installed on the BACKYARD property line. This alone makes the labour component of stringing fiber much more costly.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to codecx

MVM

to codecx
It's still cheaper than digging trenches. I would imagine that a significant portion of Toronto's population is in MDUs that are not done by poles.
DanteX
join:2010-09-09

DanteX to codecx

to codecx
Well we a l cant sit back and complain it will cost too much to install fiber in places like Toronto . It has to be done might as well be done now then later. if we do not do this Canada will become even more of a laughing stock when it comes to its communications infrastructure and companies who gauge the shit out of us.

Does there exist a telco company focused on innovation first and bleeding the customer dry second?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by DanteX:

Does there exist a telco company focused on innovation first and bleeding the customer dry second?

Think of the shareholders, the little grannies that are holding on the Bell stock and relying on the dividends to support themselves.

How dare you take money out of the mouths of those Grannies, so you can have a faster Internet connection!

You should be ashamed of yourself.
DanteX
join:2010-09-09

DanteX

How dare those share holders charge us modern day car prices for a horse and buggy
Cloneman
join:2002-08-29
Montreal

Cloneman to codecx

to codecx
I wasn't aware grandmothers held BCE stock.

If you want to pretest google sevices in Canada, Start with google voice