share rss forum feed

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7
reply to StuartMW

Re: DHS Prepares for Civil Unrest...

The DHS submitted a rushed solicitation to the Federal Business Opportunities site on Wednesday, which is a portal for Federal government procurement requisitions over $25,000. The request gave the potential suppliers only one day to submit their proposals and a 15-day delivery requirement to Alexandria, Virginia.
As the brief explains, “the objective of this effort is to procure riot gear to prepare for the 2012 Democratic and Republican National Conventions, the 2013 Presidential Inauguration and other future similar activities.”
The total amount ordered is about 150 sets of riot helmets, thigh and groin protectors, hard-shell shin guards and other riot gear.
Specifically, DHS is looking to obtain:
- “147 riot helmets” with “adjustable tactical face shield with liquid seal”
- “147 sets of upper body and shoulder protection”
- “152 sets of thigh and groin protection”
- “147 hard-shell shin guards” with “substantial protection from flying debris, non-ballistic weapons, and blows to the leg” and “optimized protective design for severe riot control or tactical situations.”
- “156 forearm protectors”
- “147 pairs of tactical gloves”
The riot gear will be worn by Federal Protective Service agents who are tasked with protecting property, grounds and buildings owned by the federal government.
The urgency of the order can be explained by the fact that there is a growing anticipation that many demonstrators will travel to the Republican National Convention (RNC), scheduled for August 27-30 in Tampa Bay, Florida, and Democratic National Convention (DNC), planned for September 3-6 in Charlotte, North Carolina.
The RNC itself, for example, will have free speech zones, which will serve as containment quarters for the protesters by not allowing them to leave the designated areas and cause trouble.
Another recent DHS move to gear up was back in March of this year, when it gave the defense contractor ATK a deal to provide the DHS with 450 million .40 caliber hollow-point ammunition over a five year period.
On top of that, the DHS has recently purchased a number of bullet-proof checkpoint booths and hired hundreds of new security guards to protect government buildings.

»rt.com/usa/news/dhs-unrest-gear-283/

»rt.com/usa/news/dhs-drone-survei···ano-156/

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:3
This is a better article than the one I linked to (which had a bunch of political stuff thrown in).

However my point is the same.

quote:
Despite growing opposition from the American public of drones largely centered over privacy objections, the United States has continuously ramped up its drone program in recent years, both domestically and abroad.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

1 recommendation

"Oh for goodness sakes, that's just what we needed. The tin fugitive from the Wizard of Oz. "

said by StuartMW:

This is a better article than the one I linked to (which had a bunch of political stuff thrown in).

However my point is the same.

quote:
Despite growing opposition from the American public of drones largely centered over privacy objections, the United States has continuously ramped up its drone program in recent years, both domestically and abroad.

--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 recommendation

reply to Name Game
quote:
... Another recent DHS move to gear up was back in March of this year, when it gave the defense contractor ATK a deal to provide the DHS with 450 million .40 caliber hollow-point ammunition over a five year period.
... the DHS has recently purchased a number of bullet-proof checkpoint booths...
That doesn't sound like "crowd control", "civil unrest", or "riot containment"... it sounds like preparation for all-out, lethal combat. Washington and Jefferson must be turning over in their graves...
--
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!" -- P.Henry, 1775

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

2 edits
Wondered when some would pick up on that..seems others have ideas what that is all about...
»endoftheamericandream.com/archiv···-bullets

»metabunk.org/threads/599-Debunke···-America

We've also learned that the Department has an open bid for a stockpile of rifle ammo. Listed on the federal business opportunities network, they're looking for up to 175 million rounds of .223 caliber ammo to be exact. The .223 is almost exactly the same round used by NATO forces, the 5.56 x 45mm.
The deadline for earlier this month was extended because the right contractor just hadn't come along.
Looks like the Department of Homeland Security means business.

»articles.businessinsider.com/201···s-bullet

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt2yGzHf···embedded

--

Gladiator Security Forum

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to StuartMW
Practice Range for the drones in Dakota

»www.airforcetimes.com/news/2012/···=twitter

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big
reply to Name Game
said by Name Game:

quote:
The riot gear will be worn by Federal Protective Service agents who are tasked with protecting property, grounds and buildings owned by the federal government.
The urgency of the order can be explained by the fact that there is a growing anticipation that many demonstrators will travel to the Republican National Convention (RNC), scheduled for August 27-30 in Tampa Bay, Florida, and Democratic National Convention (DNC), planned for September 3-6 in Charlotte, North Carolina.

Color me skeptical. What'd they do with all the stuff they bought for the riots that didn't happen in Chicago during the NATO summit? (At least, not as much as they planned for.)

Add to that the quote is contradictory. The federal government doesn't own the "property, grounds, and buildings" where either convention is being held.

So what's it for really?

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
To be honest, this sounds like preparation for a complete police / military state. Think Syria.
--
Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Name Game
said by Name Game:

Wondered when some would pick up on that..seems others have ideas what that is all about...
»endoftheamericandream.com/archiv···-bullets

»metabunk.org/threads/599-Debunke···-America ...

[H.A.S.C. No. 108–42]
DoD SMALL-CALIBER AMMUNITION PROGRAMS AND THE ASSOCIATED INDUSTRIAL BASE
quote:
JUNE 24, 2004
STATEMENT OF MAJ. GEN. BUFORD C. BLOUNT III, ASSISTANT DEPUTY CHIEF OF STAFF, G–3, UNITED STATES ARMY
... The Department of Defense requirement for small-caliber ammunition has grown from approximately 600 million rounds in 1999 to over 1.5 billion cartridges today. And over the next five years it is projected to grow to 1.7 billion rounds annually. ... Currently, we shoot 80 percent of our small-caliber ammunition on the training ranges and in live fire exercises.
So... running the math, and assuming current DoD ammo consumption to now be all the way up to his 1.7 billion rounds (of all types) per year, over 5 years that would add to 8.5 billion rounds, compared with presumed DHS consumption of up to 0.45 billion rounds for the same time span. That breaks down to a 1:19 ratio of comparison of DHS ammo consumption to that of the entire armed forces of the United States, currently engaged in an active combat zone. Maybe it's just me, but a domestic non-military Federal agency requiring over 5% of the ammunition demands of the entire US military (engaged in a period of active combat) seems more than a little "excessive".
--
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!" -- P.Henry, 1775

Snowy
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Clearwire Wireless

2 recommendations

reply to Name Game
said by Name Game:

The request gave the potential suppliers only one day to submit their proposals and a 15-day delivery requirement to Alexandria, Virginia.

That's bullshit.
It's a sneaky but not subtle way to assure the 'right' company gets the bid.
A buddy supplier with a private advance notice of the bid will not only get the contract but the lack of competition will allow the buddy company to jack up the bid price to cover cost of advance notice from the insider @DHS who waited until the 11th hour to post the bid.
There ought to be law against this practice.
Wait! There is a law against it but I guess when it comes to national security laws do not apply.

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Snowy
said by Snowy:

said by Name Game:

The request gave the potential suppliers only one day to submit their proposals and a 15-day delivery requirement to Alexandria, Virginia.

That's bullshit.
It's a sneaky but not subtle way to assure the 'right' company gets the bid.
A buddy supplier with a private advance notice of the bid will not only get the contract but the lack of competition will allow the buddy company to jack up the bid price to cover cost of advance notice from the insider @DHS who waited until the 11th hour to post the bid.
There ought to be law against this practice.
Wait! There is a law against it but I guess when it comes to national security laws do not apply.

+1

As if the authors of DHS's RFQ didn't know months ago when the dates of the two political conventions and the 2013 inaugural would be... ?!
--

Snowy
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Clearwire Wireless
said by Blackbird:

As if the authors of DHS's RFQ didn't know months ago when the dates of the two political conventions and the 2013 inaugural would be... ?!

They knew exactly what they were doing.
As expected, just one company got a bid in -
»www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&···ode=list

btw - "***Question Submission: Interested offerors must submit any questions concerning the solicitation at the earliest time possible to enable the Buyer to respond. Questions must be submitted by using the 'Submit a Question' feature at www.fedbid.com. Questions not received within a reasonable time prior to close of the solicitation may not be considered.***"
"Questions not received within a reasonable time prior to close of the solicitation may not be considered.***
That's nervy as hell.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
Interesting. The supplier is from India.

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to Name Game
said by Name Game:

... they're looking for up to 175 million rounds of .223 caliber ammo to be exact. The .223 is almost exactly the same round used by NATO forces, the 5.56 x 45mm.

The .223 is offered in both AR15 and the H&K MP5s used by law enforcement.

I wouldn't try to interchange the cartridges, though. I don't know about the H&K, but the AR15s chambered for .223 won't safely shoot a 5.56 cartridge. "Multi" chambered AR15s will handle both.

Spy
Premium
join:2001-09-22
NE
reply to Name Game
yes, that's a pretty good read there also Name Game

Camaro
Question everything
Premium
join:2008-04-05
Westfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Juggernaut
Took the word's right out of my mouth, seems the U.S is learning from Russia and China and are slowly turn our democracy into a dictatorship without us even caring because the economy is the number one concern right now.

(Puts tin foil hate on) Just a coincidence that over the last year this has been happening slowly, civil unrest anyone?). And to think prob. more money from our property taxes goes to the cops then schools social services etc.

goalieskates
Premium
land of big

1 recommendation

reply to Juggernaut
said by Juggernaut:

To be honest, this sounds like preparation for a complete police / military state. Think Syria.

It does.

So just what is DHS planning on doing that they believe will inspire riots by the masses? Somebody is about to be very, very bad, deliberately.

FutureMon
Ach Du Lieber
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
join:2000-10-05
Seaside, CA
I would simply state that when Obama gets re-elected, there's gonna be a LOT of pissed off rednecks and teabaggers who wouldn't think twice about starting riots over it.

Simple enough to see. Why not plan for it?

- FM
--
Q: How many theoretical physicists specializing in general relativity does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Two. One to hold the bulb and one to rotate the universe.

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
said by FutureMon:

I would simply state that when Obama gets re-elected, there's gonna be a LOT of pissed off rednecks and teabaggers who wouldn't think twice about starting riots over it.

- FM

Party already started last month...thank you very much But bring your own stuff.
--
Gladiator Security Forum

goalieskates
Premium
land of big

2 recommendations

reply to FutureMon
said by FutureMon:

- FM

Because there are always so many riots after an election, right? And only rednecks and teabaggers are sore losers? /sarcasm.

If you believe that and accept it as a reason to "plan" you're a product of that dumbed-down education. Head on over to the porch and ponder the fact a drone can't tell a redneck from a liberal, and nobody stops during a riot to ask the question either. When liberties are taken away, it's everybody's liberty, including yours.

FutureMon
Ach Du Lieber
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
join:2000-10-05
Seaside, CA
I'm not going to be the one throwing rocks at the police, so I doubt it will affect me

- FM

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
said by FutureMon:

I'm not going to be the one throwing rocks at the police, so I doubt it will affect me

- FM

Love it when you have it all signed sealed and delivered... kinda gives credence to your suppositions.. you'd be fun at the party.
--
Gladiator Security Forum

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch

1 recommendation

reply to FutureMon

Are there any WOMEN here today?
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
They are all busy today on the hockey field..but if you can get all ten through the hoop we might have some extra medals laying around.

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX
kudos:4
reply to Name Game
said by Name Game:

"Oh for goodness sakes, that's just what we needed. The tin fugitive from the Wizard of Oz. "

That iz NOT from the "Wizard of OZ", and I have castrated for lesser offenses than plagerizing the Skipper and "My Little Buddy". Just FYI.
Let the thread continue.....
--
Breaker One Nine.

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
Looks like you missed season two...

»joesgiantrobots.com/post/6381613···season-2
»www.jeffbots.com/Gilligan.html

Skipper and little buddy might miss it also.
--
Gladiator Security Forum

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
said by Name Game:

Looks like you missed season two...

»joesgiantrobots.com/post/6381613···season-2 ...

Robot, HAH! Anyone can see that's an NSA surface-drone... used even back then, though the technology looks dated by modern standards. (That "box" on the 'chest' area is the image-orthicon optical sensor and the two C-band communication antennas are clearly evident on the sides of the 'head').
--

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX
kudos:4

2 edits
reply to Name Game
Removed. OT.