how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Montanero

@qwest.net
reply to Irish Shark

Re: Actiontec C1000A

Thanks Irish Shark. I'd say Centurylink phone support folks are a bit misinformed then. Looks like Best Buy sells the C1000A for $99 so I'll be picking one up. My ADSL2 line is scheduled to be swapped to VDSL2 next Monday. I've been waiting so long for something better than the 1.5mbps I've been getting from Qwest/Centurylink the last 9 years. 12mbps sounds so wonderful. Netflix may actually stream well now

TheMayor

join:2002-05-09

Do you live near a Sales Kiosk? If so, you could go there & see which VDSL2 modem they are offering

said by Montanero :

Thanks Irish Shark. I'd say Centurylink phone support folks are a bit misinformed then. Looks like Best Buy sells the C1000A for $99 so I'll be picking one up. My ADSL2 line is scheduled to be swapped to VDSL2 next Monday. I've been waiting so long for something better than the 1.5mbps I've been getting from Qwest/Centurylink the last 9 years. 12mbps sounds so wonderful. Netflix may actually stream well now

wishdev

@comcast.net
reply to Montanero

I just received a C1000A in the mail today from CenturyLink for my new VDSL2 line coming in tomorrow.

It better darn well work

Montanero

@qwest.net

When I talked to customer support they mentioned I'd be getting the Q1000. The C1000A is a more current model. I bought one today at Best Buy for 99.00. It's ADSL2 backward compatible so I installed it (Extremely Easy) and had it up and running in less than 15 minutes. It replaced a Netgear DGN3500 and so far the Actiontec is looking like a better performance replacement. The switch to VDSL2 should be transparent to me now. I'll post when that cutover happens next week.

TheMayor

join:2002-05-09

You might have to do a hard reset on the modem so it can configure in VDSL2 mode. I got the Q1000 modem & used it while i had ADSL2. Once my line was converted over nothing came thru until I reset it & ran the initial setup for it again.

By the way, is there any type of screen that shows internet usage info?

said by Montanero :

When I talked to customer support they mentioned I'd be getting the Q1000. The C1000A is a more current model. I bought one today at Best Buy for 99.00. It's ADSL2 backward compatible so I installed it (Extremely Easy) and had it up and running in less than 15 minutes. It replaced a Netgear DGN3500 and so far the Actiontec is looking like a better performance replacement. The switch to VDSL2 should be transparent to me now. I'll post when that cutover happens next week.

Montanero

@qwest.net

>>By the way, is there any type of screen that shows internet usage info?

If there is, I haven't found Internet usage other than KB up and down. There is a web activity log but it looks pretty rudimentary and less than useful. it also warns that performance will suffer if feature is enabled. I notice Best Buy has widely stocked this modem/router/switch now. So far I'm still liking the unit. Only one retrain in last two days.

Montanero

@qwest.net
reply to Montanero

said by Montanero :

..... I'll post when that cutover happens next week.

Well they did the cutover to VDSL two days early and the Actiontec C1000A automagically reconfigured itself. Didn't even notice a drop in the line. So far so good, a huge step up from their horrible ADSL2 1.5mb service. I'm getting about 11.5mb up and 800K down.

I'm impressed by the performance of the C1000A. Recommended.

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:4

Not to jinx you, but it looks good so far.