join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to OTIS3

Re: Upgrading Firmware on Thompson DCM475

Yeah, the firmware situation for the cablemodems is certainly a worrying issue...

Rogers has the capability and should have no problems to send firmware updates to modems that are accepted to use on its network.

They did it before, I don't get why they wont do it again.

But if TekSavvy wants to maintain a happy customer base, this is something they have to address, either by engaging Rogers or by getting equipment where they can flash the modems themselves, where they can basically swap the customer a modem with new firmware, and then when the customer returns his modem, they flash that one and the cycle continues...
--
GO BLUE JAYS!

Expand your moderator at work

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to HiVolt

Re: Upgrading Firmware on Thompson DCM475

said by HiVolt:

Rogers has the capability and should have no problems to send firmware updates to modems that are accepted to use on its network.

Cogeco does it with TPIA providers - in fact, when I connected my DPC3000 for the first time the firmware update happened automatically the moment it attained sync - so the fact that Rogers doesn't is just petty nonsense.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2

But rogers doesn't want you to have a "pleasant experience" with a TPIA provider, they want to provide that experience, and they throw in the lube for free, they can afford it.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Gone

said by Gone:

said by HiVolt:

Cogeco does it with TPIA providers - in fact, when I connected my DPC3000 for the first time the firmware update happened automatically the moment it attained sync - so the fact that Rogers doesn't is just petty nonsense.

I know it's stupid. Rogers updated the sb6120 and sb5101 modems for tpia
Before.
--
GO BLUE JAYS!

dra6o0n

join:2011-08-15
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·ITalkBB

4 edits
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

They did it before, I don't get why they wont do it again.

Basically it's not really mentioned but, if a company stop or refuses to give customers a service for something, it really shows how much Rogers dislikes Teksavvy (unofficially of course). Heck for some reason I get vibes that they brainwash all their employees to hate competition.

Because the way I theorize this is:
If Rogers didn't have competition, more people would have to 'resort', that's the keyword, resort, to their plans and cough up a larger amount of dough. Now with Teksavvy and third party internet, they feel that they are 'losing potential profits' now that they can sell usage to Teksavvy, etc. but not keeping the customers so they can't milk them. They think that causing distress (but they obviously won't admit to that) is a way to make people leave third party back into their milking game.

The thing about Canada, is that almost every large position of power, be it corporate or government, is into 'milking' or abusing something to it's non-existent. Today, you are starting to see the cracks of the social system, with unions and such at war with government on 'wanting to be spoiled with more money', and government wanting to pay off the debt but can't seem to 'stop spending money'...

Just recently I read that the construction industry was corrupted by a Canadian line of Mafias and was only figured out and publicly testified this week.

Slowly, but surely, all things 'power' is heading to the direction of corruption.

----

As for this thread, I have a DCM 475 also but I don't see any changes on it, other than weird packet loss and lag spikes that occurs randomly every other day...

I totally check all my network and none of them are causing the huge 600ms latency spike across outside from my home. Could be the 'peak' hour thing, but I find that strange because it's not like Teksavvy's own nodes are hitting max capacity that easily right?