FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to georgeglass5

Re: Ridiculous

said by georgeglass5:

considering Virgin Mobile 4g is on Wimax, what of those people that pay upward of $300 for their device to use said 4g

WiMAX is dead anyway. This s just helping along the transition.
--
»www.mittromney.com/s/repeal-and-···bamacare
»www.mittromney.com/issues/health-care

Cerlyn
Premium
join:2009-07-30
Clearband (OMGFast) uses WiMax, so it is not quite dead yet.

They also may be using different WiMax sites than Clearwire, as they claim to have coverage in areas around me where Clearwire does not.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
They use MVDDS for downlink. They only use Wimax air interface for uplink and they have to in the 5GHZ region. For fixed broadband wimax can be better because how the frequency selection is done (unpaired spectrum). Since this is upload only, Wimax makes sense.

For all intensive purposes the US carriers are going to LTE. Clearwire has boucoup spectrum, which will probably be repurposed for uplink services and backhaul. Maybe they use LTE better once the microcells come down in price because their higher frequency will make it an issue as those have come to see.

NWOhio2

@buckeyecom.net
reply to FFH5
many other ISPs use it as well. It's far from dead. Karl just doesn't comment on those smaller ISPs who elect to use it.

jbgroup1
Non Conformist
Premium
join:2000-05-04
Dayton, MD
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
reply to elefante72
said by elefante72:

...For all intensive purposes...

Sorry to be a grammar nazi but after seeing this several times today on various sites the I just have to say that the correct wording is "for all intents and purposes"
--
...as an individual, I have a right to [do] what I think, what I feel, and I think we all have a right to our own destiny as individuals. And I think I have a right to choose mine and everybody else has a right to choose theirs.
»jonestown.sdsu.edu