KeysCapt

join:2001-07-11
Carson City, NV

3 edits

KeysCapt to fatness

to fatness

Re: 10 Most Frequent Questions

HOW DO I GET THOSE STARS?
I'M NOT SEEING MY STARS AND TRINKETS UNDER MY NAME.

Stars, which used to be earned for site participation and were displayed under user names, were discontinued and are no longer part of the site.

"Trinkets" refer to the icons displayed by those who participate in Site sponsored distributed computing clubs. See: »Re: 10 Most Frequent Questions

Check [here] and make sure that "Show No Trinkets" is NOT checked.

Also, If you have a posting tag, your post must be a certain length or only your posting tag and username will show up.

Use the Dev/Null Forum for testing this.

For additional info about turning trinkets on or off go to [this thread].

KeysCapt

1 edit

KeysCapt

HOW CAN I GET ONE OF THOSE SAYINGS BESIDE MY NAME?

This is called a "posting tag". You need one silver star to have one.

You can go [here] to create your posting tag.

KeysCapt

1 edit

KeysCapt

WHY DON'T I SEE MY SIGNATURE LINE IN ALL MY POSTS?

Your post has to be at least one character LONGER than your signature, in order for it to show up. You can test this in the Dev/Null forum; try just posting your signature line, and adding a space to the end of it.

Keep in mind if you have HTML in your signature, your post must still be longer than all of the characters in your signature, including the HTML, not just the link that shows.

KeysCapt

4 edits

KeysCapt

HOW DO I UPLOAD A GRAPHIC WITH MY POST?

See »Site FAQ »How do I post attachments and screenshots?
KeysCapt

1 edit

KeysCapt

WHAT IS "PREMIUM MEMBER"? SHOULD I GO PREMIUM?

Since February 2002, all new user accounts at BroadBandReports.com are created as either basic or premium.

For the answers to those questions, look at [this FAQ entry] toward the bottom ... the benefits and features of the different accounts.

Premium Accounts
(New Accounts)
... created by buying 10 or more tool points ($10) at the time of the account creation. The 10 tool points used will be credited to the user's account. (There is a 24 hour window after joining to do this.)

(Upgrading Existing Accounts)
Accounts created prior to February 2002 gained the premium account features over time. They are not true premium accounts, however. Members prior to February 2002 can also upgrade their accounts to premium in order to support the site, but the 10 tool points WILL NOT BE credited to the user's account.

How do I upgrade?

Once you are logged in you may go to "Members" selection on the left hand menu option on the home page.
Click on "[Upgrade]"

If you have not purchased ten tool points for upgrade then you must do this before you will be able to upgrade your membership. You may access our secure storefront from this page to purchase toolpoints and then return to this page to upgrade.

If you have already purchased ten tool points or more you may proceed to the bottom of the page. Click on the link that says "upgrade your account now". You can upgrade your membership from here. Your toolpoint account will be debited 10 toolpoints.

Please Note: It takes a while, sometimes overnight, for the "Premium" tag to show up under your name in your posts.
KeysCapt

1 edit

KeysCapt

PLEASE CORRECT YOUR SPELLING - Why am I getting this?

This is a new site feature, designed to try to reduce some of the shortened word abbreviations used in post, also known as "board-slang", to make all posts more intelligible to everyone using the site.

If you have included certain abbreviated words in your post, usually more than once in that post, you will see the following screen when you go to review it:

The words that are flagged will appear in red. Simply return to your edit screen, fix these words, and review again. This will sometimes occur only in longer posts as you go to the preview function, and not in shorter ones.
(Note: Some innocent words may be included in the list. Look for the "slang" word or words and fix them. The others can be ignored.)

KeysCapt

1 edit

KeysCapt

HOW DO I GET THOSE SPINNING GLOBES, MOLECULES, etc.?

These are icons that indicate membership in special distributed computing teams at DSLR.
indicates membership of Team Discovery (United Devices & TSC)
indicates membership of Team Starfire (SETI)
indicates membership of Team Helix (Folding/Genome)
These teams provide you with ways to let your computer's unused CPU cycles work toward things like finding cures for diseases or searching for extra-terrestrials. A good starting place to learn more is the [General Distributed Computing forum]. Why not put that unproductive time to good use? It won't interfere with anything you're doing on your machine or machines. Take a look!

KeysCapt

1 edit

KeysCapt

I JUST MADE A CHANGE TO MY ________ AND IT DOESN'T SHOW!

Avatar, posting tag, premium status, etc.

This site is hosted on several different servers. Just be patient ... your changes will show up as they propagate across all the servers. Maybe tomorrow, maybe sooner.

If you've submitted a new Avatar, you will see a message like this one when it is approved:

http://www.broadbandreports.com/r0/download/248183;85d083287ae66516633fd62be8835765/whatdoesitmean.jpg

The "shift-reload" action is designed to supercede any older copies of your avatar that might be held in your cache, thereby preventing you from seeing your new one. If it doesn't work, try "CTRL-Reload".
KeysCapt

2 edits

KeysCapt

HOW CAN I MAKE MY AVATAR MOVE? WHAT ARE TOOLPOINTS? HOW CAN I GET SOME?

Please see this for latest info about avatars: »Site FAQ »How do I get an Avatar?

You can purchase tool points [here].
You can learn more about tool points [here].

KeysCapt

1 edit

KeysCapt

HOW DO I GET THAT "QUOTE" SECTION IN MY POSTS?

When you open the window, click on "Auto Quote".

This will bring in the text from the post you're responding to. You can EDIT OUT what you don't need, especially if you're replying to a long post. (Please do.)

Try this in the Dev/Null Forum ... that's what it's for.

Check out this [FAQ entry] for more info on quoting in your posts.