uniqs
share rss forum feed

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6
reply to DarkSithPro

Re: Could Linux take off thanks to Windows 8?

said by DarkSithPro:

Why do I get the feeling a lot of Linux users don't want it to take off? Is Linux a hobby to tinker with, or just a reliable Operating System/s?

While I'm sure there are folks who fit that description, I don't think it's a fair generalization.

There are many people, like myself, who advocate the adoption of Linux and Open Source and think it would be great to have it showing up in greater numbers in everything from embedded systems, datacenters and desktops.

I'm also pragmatic about it, understanding that not everyone shares my interests. More importantly, I realize the in-your-face zealotry, often accompanied by childish derision of other choices that is sometimes wielded by OSS fanatics is counter productive. If I want someone to try my alternative, it's probably not a good selling strategy to start the conversation with "Your choice is stupid."

As for the thread topic, I suspect Win8 will bring some new Linux converts - a few more will test the waters and decide it's not for them. Mostly, enterprises will drag their feet, tech writers will postulate, enthusiasts will adopt early and alternatively praise and damn and consumers will mostly ignore it until their next device comes with it.

DarkSithPro

join:2005-02-12
Tempe, AZ
kudos:2
said by No_Strings:

said by DarkSithPro:

Why do I get the feeling a lot of Linux users don't want it to take off? Is Linux a hobby to tinker with, or just a reliable Operating System/s?

While I'm sure there are folks who fit that description, I don't think it's a fair generalization.

There are many people, like myself, who advocate the adoption of Linux and Open Source and think it would be great to have it showing up in greater numbers in everything from embedded systems, datacenters and desktops.

I'm also pragmatic about it, understanding that not everyone shares my interests. More importantly, I realize the in-your-face zealotry, often accompanied by childish derision of other choices that is sometimes wielded by OSS fanatics is counter productive. If I want someone to try my alternative, it's probably not a good selling strategy to start the conversation with "Your choice is stupid."

As for the thread topic, I suspect Win8 will bring some new Linux converts - a few more will test the waters and decide it's not for them. Mostly, enterprises will drag their feet, tech writers will postulate, enthusiasts will adopt early and alternatively praise and damn and consumers will mostly ignore it until their next device comes with it.

That sounds more like a reactive approach rather than a proactive approach. Creating a great distro and posting it online to spike peoples interests. That is the extent of what's being offered on the table? Rather than finding other creative ways to spike interest and adoption. Now I know It's possible for Linux to gain a large amount of market share based on what happened with Fire-Fox. They designed a browser that overtook IE, by making it better with plug-ins, extensions, standards, and better privacy and security. Like I've said in other posts Gretzky once said a good player plays where the puck is, a great player plays where the puck will be.

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6
said by DarkSithPro:

That sounds more like a reactive approach rather than a proactive approach. Creating a great distro and posting it online to spike peoples interests. That is the extent of what's being offered on the table? Rather than finding other creative ways to spike interest and adoption.

There is plenty of marketing, which is what you're describing, of Linux. It's fragmented, though. Red Hat is chasing a different demographic than Canonical is with Ubuntu, etc. There's no single, inclusive entity driving a common goal of choking Microsoft or Apple.

Open vs. proprietary, "free" vs. commercial. Different approaches.

As for trying to get ahead of the game, Canonical seems to be setting its sights on the tablet/mobile market just like Microsoft, and are developing accordingly. I'm not smart enough to predict the next big wave.

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO
Reviews:
·AT&T Southwest
reply to No_Strings
said by No_Strings:

*nix already DOMINATES all those (except the desktop) and Windows is virtually non-existant.

Razzy

join:2012-06-21
said by howardfine:

said by No_Strings:

*nix already DOMINATES all those (except the desktop) and Windows is virtually non-existant.

Really? My brand new touchscreen credit card machine has Windows CE. All of businesses here have Windows Servers.

howardfine

Saint Louis, MO
Yes. Really. You can always find a couple of anything but if you think Windows has any significant share of embedded devices or datacenters, well, I won't say anything or this will get deleted, too.

Razzy

reply to howardfine
Oh yeah, xbox 360 has windows code... my Ford has SYNC.... Uverse DVR/converter box is on Windows...

Razzy

reply to howardfine
TomTom GPS runs on Windows CE.....

howardfine

Saint Louis, MO
Keep going. I'm sure you can find hundreds. Of course there are millions of devices out there but keep going. btw, your router runs Linux. Charter DVR's run Linux. Oh, I'm not playing this game.
Expand your moderator at work

Razzy

reply to howardfine

Re: Could Linux take off thanks to Windows 8?

Believe it or not, my Linux server is a router (two network cards). ;p

howardfine

Saint Louis, MO
Reviews:
·AT&T Southwest
reply to Razzy
said by Razzy:

Oh yeah, xbox 360 has windows code...

Honest to God? A Microsoft product has Windows code in it?! And Microsoft claims they rule the embedded world? Imagine that.

howardfine

Saint Louis, MO
reply to Razzy
So does your ISP.

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to Razzy
said by Razzy:

TomTom GPS runs on Windows CE.....

My Tom Tom One runs Linux - Tom Tom uses Linux a lot. As does, IIRC Garmin. Magellan does use CE.

And I've got Sync in my Ford. It's obviously a MS product. See Ford's many issues with My Ford Touch which most of which can be traced to the use of Microsoft.

Linux Owns Embedded and MS is the ones playing catch up.

Razzy

Right I did not deny that. It's all from this:

said by howardfine :

*nix already DOMINATES all those (except the desktop) and Windows is virtually non-existant

FF4m3

@bhn.net
reply to howardfine
said by howardfine:

said by No_Strings:

Agreed.

The following was last updated on 8 January 2012 so it is not nearly all inclusive by any means. It's 143 pages provide a general overview of sorts: Linux-Based Devices.