how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO
reply to No_Strings

Re: Could Linux take off thanks to Windows 8?

said by No_Strings:

There are many people, like myself, who advocate the adoption of Linux and Open Source and think it would be great to have it showing up in greater numbers in everything from embedded systems, datacenters and desktops.

*nix already DOMINATES all those (except the desktop) and Windows is virtually non-existant.

Razzy

join:2012-06-21

said by howardfine:

said by No_Strings:

There are many people, like myself, who advocate the adoption of Linux and Open Source and think it would be great to have it showing up in greater numbers in everything from embedded systems, datacenters and desktops.

*nix already DOMINATES all those (except the desktop) and Windows is virtually non-existant.

Really? My brand new touchscreen credit card machine has Windows CE. All of businesses here have Windows Servers.

howardfine

Saint Louis, MO

Yes. Really. You can always find a couple of anything but if you think Windows has any significant share of embedded devices or datacenters, well, I won't say anything or this will get deleted, too.

Razzy

reply to howardfine

Oh yeah, xbox 360 has windows code... my Ford has SYNC.... Uverse DVR/converter box is on Windows...

Razzy

reply to howardfine

TomTom GPS runs on Windows CE.....

howardfine

Saint Louis, MO

Keep going. I'm sure you can find hundreds. Of course there are millions of devices out there but keep going. btw, your router runs Linux. Charter DVR's run Linux. Oh, I'm not playing this game.

Expand your moderator at work

Razzy

reply to howardfine

Re: Could Linux take off thanks to Windows 8?

Believe it or not, my Linux server is a router (two network cards). ;p

howardfine

Saint Louis, MO
reply to Razzy

said by Razzy:

Oh yeah, xbox 360 has windows code...

Honest to God? A Microsoft product has Windows code in it?! And Microsoft claims they rule the embedded world? Imagine that.

howardfine

Saint Louis, MO
reply to Razzy

So does your ISP.

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to Razzy

said by Razzy:

TomTom GPS runs on Windows CE.....

My Tom Tom One runs Linux - Tom Tom uses Linux a lot. As does, IIRC Garmin. Magellan does use CE.

And I've got Sync in my Ford. It's obviously a MS product. See Ford's many issues with My Ford Touch which most of which can be traced to the use of Microsoft.

Linux Owns Embedded and MS is the ones playing catch up.

Razzy

Right I did not deny that. It's all from this:

said by howardfine :

*nix already DOMINATES all those (except the desktop) and Windows is virtually non-existant

FF4m3

@bhn.net
reply to howardfine

said by howardfine:

said by No_Strings:

Agreed.

The following was last updated on 8 January 2012 so it is not nearly all inclusive by any means. It's 143 pages provide a general overview of sorts: Linux-Based Devices.