Click for full size
NIKON D80
48mm 1/45th F4.8 ISO200

Lou P. and Frank
Click for full size
NIKON D80
66mm 1/125th F5.3 ISO360

Steamer, Muskingum River
My nephew scanned photographed these photos and a treasure trove of others from a childhood neighbor's photo album.

#1, the filling station;
The top photo is of a neighbor who was still around when I was a kid. The land behind the house on the left was our family farm. The land where the filling station was became the site for a Grange Hall where we used to have ice cream socials, Junior Grange and 4-H meetings. The Grange hall was sold and torn down in the late 1950's. The land is now occupied by a Duke & Dutchess convenience store.

#2, sheaving wheat;
Two men I knew as a kid. Jim, the man on the left was a cousin twice removed and E.H ("Slats"),the man on the right was our next door neighbor. By the looks of the land, they were sheaving wheat on Jim's farm. Slats still farmed with horses when I was a kid. He did relent to bring in a stationary combine driven by a PTO on a tractor. The farms are now history, divided up for homes.

#3, Lou and Frank;
Lou, E.H's dad, with one of his draft horses, Frank. Lou was in his nineties when I was a kid. Lou used to tell me stories about the old days while we sat under the big oak tree in his front yard. I wish I'd had a tape recorder ...

#4, Steaming on the Muskingum;
This is one of many paddlewheelers that plied the Muskingum river, unknown name. I'm still researching which one it was. I suspect the photo was taken before 1920.

The photos have faded, but the memories are still priceless.

KittyMom
Premium
join:2005-05-15
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:8

1 recommendation

What great memories. Glad to see they have been preserved.

DownTheShore
Russia Lies, Ukraine Dies
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:13
reply to EGeezer

Fascinating!

EGeezer
Go Cats
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to EGeezer

The wife of the farmer died many years ago. At some point, she'd gone through the album and made notes on the subjects for posterity.

I have the oldest of my parent's photo albums. It has photos from their travels, relatives and events like the 1914 (From my grandparents) and 1937 floods. Most were taken with one of those Kodak box cameras. It took wonderful photos, and they used it until Kodak stopped making the film. I believe it was 620 film, not sure. I wish I had that camera. It's possible someone is still making the film..

I've been meaning to digitize the ones I have. It's time I started.

badd
Premium
join:2001-10-04
De Queen, AR
kudos:1
reply to EGeezer

Fasinating photos makes me think back to my childhood.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
Scottsdale, AZ
kudos:24
reply to EGeezer

Wow! Memories are right. Good stuff and fabulous wealth of things to have saved.