uniqs
share rss forum feed

tholly911

join:2012-05-30
Pasadena, TX
reply to DannyZ

Re: Yes, I was hacked. Hard.

Now that's a great reply!

You used quotes to build up forum members and the usage of the quotes provided great clarity.

The update itself is valuable information. I am not an Apple and am curious about the Apple tech support being used nefariously. Hopefully more details will be provided ... because as the storyline now rests, I get a sense something is very wrong with that tech support? Here's why:

quote:
Apple tells me that the remote wipe is likely irrecoverable without serious forensics. Because I’m a jerk who doesn’t back up data, I’ve lost at more than a year’s worth of photos, emails, documents, and more. And, really, who knows what else.
Is "remote wipe" a reformat hard drive command? I guess when a user allows remote troubleshooting ... they give someone absolutely total control of the computer. Should the "social engineering" trickery be revealed? Which is greater: The benefit of doing so to help prevent others from being suckered; or, the harm caused by teaching the next generation of hackers.

Mat Honan says the hacker is now in contact with him? How bizarre and brazen! What a hoot if the culprit gets caught.

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:12

1 recommendation

+1

I don't know which is worse though, the social engineering of Apple or the recovering of data after a remote wipe

I'm not too surprised the hacker is talking to him. Egos tend to do that. It also wouldn't surprise me to find out he's from a non-extradition-friendly country, so even if they know who it is they still may not be able to do anything.

/M

Mango
What router are you using?
Premium
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net
kudos:13
Mat at least appears to be exponentially more calm than I would be, if someone from my computer manufacturer's tech support allowed a hacker to wipe three of my devices. If I were Apple, I'd be moving mountains to try to get his data back.

DannyZ
Gentoo Fanboy
Premium
join:2003-01-29
Erie, PA
said by Mango:

If I were Apple, I'd be moving mountains to try to get his data back.

Except that if his data is recoverable, it will show that the remote "wipe" available on iDevices is useless.
--
Out the 10BaseT, through the modem, down the co-ax, over the fiber, across the backhaul, past the edge router, off the network...nothing but net

Mango
What router are you using?
Premium
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net
kudos:13

2 edits
I'm not familiar with the technology, but unless it does something as effective as a DoD-style wipe, it will be as adequate as a simple format.

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7
reply to mackey
This is what Mat's inbox looked like

»www.emptyage.com/post/2871039354···-ipad-ol