spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

breynolds

join:2012-02-15
Melbourne, FL

[CFL] Brighthouse CFL channel 1770 Olympics in 3D on CableCARD?

The Olympics are supposed to be available in 3D on Brighthouse (Central Florida) on channel 1770. Unfortunately, no matter what I do, I can't get this channel to appear on my Windows Media Center machine (using CableCARD - like a TiVo Premier).

I chatted with BHN support, and I was told that channel 1770 was only available if I have an STB. Is this true? If so, why is this channel not available to CableCARD customers?

I'm hoping that BHNTechXpert will reply.
--
Brian Reynolds, Melbourne, Florida

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:151

Re: [CFL] Brighthouse CFL channel 1770 Olympics in 3D on CableCA

It does take a special box yes. As for CCs my memory is failing me at the moment. It's been a while since I had t answer the question. For now the answer will be yes ou will need the box. I reserve the right to edit later

breynolds

Melbourne, FL
That just doesn't make any sense. The 3D Olympics channel is side-by-side... and that is just plain old 1080i (or 720p). It doesn't require any special hardware to display the image. Even a person with a TV that cannot play 3D can see it... albeit, they can only see two almost identical pictures side-by-side, but there's no special hardware required, besides the TV itself.
--

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by breynolds:

That just doesn't make any sense. The 3D Olympics channel is side-by-side... and that is just plain old 1080i (or 720p). It doesn't require any special hardware to display the image. Even a person with a TV that cannot play 3D can see it... albeit, they can only see two almost identical pictures side-by-side, but there's no special hardware required, besides the TV itself.

If its what I think it is yes it is special and does require and m box. I won't be ale to confirm it until tomorrow. We can chat then.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

simba1994

join:2002-02-10
Largo, FL
I currently have 2 TiVo Premier boxes and both receive the 3D Olympics Channel just fine. I'm using m-cards and tuning adapters on both. I have enjoyed watching several of the events in 3D on my LG 3D TV.

There has been chatter on TiVo Community forums about only the TiVo Premier being able to receive 3D, because most cable providers push down 3D as MPEG4, not MPEG2. Don't quote me on that though.

Now for the content, it's a bit odd; very little post-production and the same 4 or 5 3D movie trailers just jammed in wherever they want. It is interesting to see the action unfold in real time (not live, but also not edited).

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to breynolds
Well that answers that....and yes the mpeg 4 on the TiVo was the concern and question I had....so issue solved....thanks Simba.

breynolds

Melbourne, FL
Windows Media Center can play MPEG-4 (H.264) just fine. The only issue with this is on extenders for Windows Media Center... and then, the problem only exists on the D-Link, Linksys, and HP extenders. The XBox360 can play MPEG-4 in extender mode just fine... and the soon-to-be-released Ceton Echo can too.

So... the question still stands... why can't I get this channel on my system? Is it because Zap2It/Microsoft hasn't added the channel for my ZIP-code/cable-provider?
--

breynolds

Melbourne, FL
reply to breynolds
I suppose I should add that I can see channel 1770 in the HD HomeRun Prime setup program... but Media Center doesn't add the channel to the guide when I do a channel scan.
--

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to breynolds
said by breynolds:

Windows Media Center can play MPEG-4 (H.264) just fine. The only issue with this is on extenders for Windows Media Center... and then, the problem only exists on the D-Link, Linksys, and HP extenders. The XBox360 can play MPEG-4 in extender mode just fine... and the soon-to-be-released Ceton Echo can too.

So... the question still stands... why can't I get this channel on my system? Is it because Zap2It/Microsoft hasn't added the channel for my ZIP-code/cable-provider?

It isn't because of something we are doing. Your first place to check will be the MFR's of those devices.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

breynolds

Melbourne, FL
I agree that it's not something you are doing. The channel is in the CableCARD's channel map... but Media Center won't add the channel. I'm pursuing the problem with the manufacturer of the tuner to see if they can help me sort it out. In the mean time, I plan to pickup an STB from the local BHN store.
--

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by breynolds:

I agree that it's not something you are doing. The channel is in the CableCARD's channel map... but Media Center won't add the channel. I'm pursuing the problem with the manufacturer of the tuner to see if they can help me sort it out. In the mean time, I plan to pickup an STB from the local BHN store.

Sorry I can't be of more help on this one. I have pretty much everything you can throw at me at my desk here or at home...I do not however have teh Ceton or similar devices as the volume of questions hasn't warranted the purchase yet. But everything else...sittin right here in front of me
--

breynolds

Melbourne, FL
I think I found the solution at the link below. I'll have to try it when I get home.

»www.silicondust.com/forum/viewto···?t=13100
--

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to breynolds
Very good...only problem is by the time they get done it will be over

breynolds

Melbourne, FL
Well, the solution I found looked really simple... but it didn't work. I'll just go get a cable box at the BHN store. The Olympics in 3D is just a curiosity for me... and since it will be over soon, there's not much point in stirring things up too much.

I wonder though... if it would make any difference if BHN sends a "hit" to my cable cards.
--

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to breynolds
Make sure you tell them that is the intended use of the box please...I don't want you going there getting a box that won't do the job

breynolds

Melbourne, FL
What boxes do you recommend?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to breynolds
Any of the M boxes will be fine...you may not get a lot of choice and since you won't likely keep it long I wouldn't worry about it.

breynolds

Melbourne, FL
By "M", I assume you mean Motorola?
--

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to breynolds
No...the agent will know what that means

breynolds

Melbourne, FL
OK, thanks. I don't need a DVR, so hopefully an "M box" is just a plain old STB.
--

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to breynolds
Yup

breynolds

Melbourne, FL
The lady didn't know what I meant by an "M Box". She thought maybe that was the boxes that have "MOCA" printed on the cover over the CableCARD.

She gave me a Samsung SMT-H3262. Is that what you intended?
--

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to breynolds
Yup that will work

breynolds

Melbourne, FL

1 edit
Hey BHNtechXpert, I just found the logs for the tuner... and they don't show channel 1770 coming down in the channel map.

Can you help with that?

EDIT: To clarify, I think that channel 1770 is not subscribed on my CableCARD's (I have two)... and I think it should be.
--

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by breynolds:

Hey BHNtechXpert, I just found the logs for the tuner... and they don't show channel 1770 coming down in the channel map.

Can you help with that?

EDIT: To clarify, I think that channel 1770 is not subscribed on my CableCARD's (I have two)... and I think it should be.

Try rebooting. My CC's here picked it up no problem. Just checked.
--

breynolds

Melbourne, FL
No go. I tried power cycling the tuners and the tuning adapters, then I told Media Center to do another channel scan and get the latest guide listings. The channel still does not appear.

The Samsung STB receives the channel, but as you can imagine, we miss the FFWD/RWD and recording capability of Media Center.

Should I start a thread in the BHN private forum? I'd like to get this channel working on the CableCARD. Is this channel part of a package that I don't subscribe to? I asked a friend in Palm Bay who also has a Media Center PC check his... and he doesn't get 1770 either. But others around the country (not necessarily on BHN) get the 3D Olympic channel just fine in Media Center.
--

breynolds

Melbourne, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
Anybody home?

breynolds

Melbourne, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert
Never mind. The fine folks at www.thegreenbutton.tv helped me get it working.
--

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to breynolds
Glad you got it working. As I stated above I can't help you with the specific of the Silicon Dust or Ceton issues unless they are from our side of the operational equation neither of which applies in this case.

breynolds

Melbourne, FL

4 edits
That's correct this time... my CableCARD had the correct subscription information. I'm glad I didn't need to spend a bunch of time on the phone with a BHN rep. That is always painful. But, I must mention the BS I was fed at the start... when they told me that CableCARD is not a 3D-capable technology. Once again, you guys need to inform your people. The Samsung STB that I received has a CableCARD installed in it... so obviously, CableCARD can support 3D video (at least in top/bottom and side-by-side).

In this case, Microsoft has failed to update their guide info. Their EPG data comes from Zap2It. Zap2It's data is correct for channel 1770, but MS has failed to update the Media Center EPG with that info for my ZIP code (and also for a friend of mine who lives in Palm Bay).

I can now view the 3D content on channel 1770 in Media Center, but I don't have any EPG data. I can do manual recordings for now.

On a different note... I'm currently watching some of the free 3D VOD content via the STB I got from BHN. The content is beautiful. I'm surprised how little difference there is in the resolution of top/bottom content and the frame packing content on 3D BluRays. I'm wondering why NBC chose to transmit the Olympics in side-by-side instead of top/bottom... because top/bottom is much better.

Still, the guide on the STB is severely lacking in detail and resolution on the STB compared to the much better guide in Media Center. I get a lot more information in Media Center (synopsis, cast/crew, etc) and the guide simply looks better in Media Center.
--