All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine to scross

to scross

Re: Could Linux take off thanks to Windows 8?

said by scross:

...a Google insider, and the amount of vitriol he threw at me when I tried to point some of its flaws was nothing short of astonishing! His attitude was literally "We're Google, we know what we're doing, and we know what's best for you - meanwhile you're just an incompetent user!"

I'm not surprised. These are very intelligent people who are directly working on the product and they DO know more than you and I about how it all works cause they have the bigger picture and...they work directly with the product...so we don't know what they know and they know everything about the users universal preferences.

In my restaurant, I occasionally get sniffy people who try and tell me how to run things and what to carry but they don't see what I see on a daily basis and don't understand why things are done the way they are. In many cases, what they are requesting is the exact opposite of what others tell me what they want or expect. I know better than the customer and, yes, the customer is not always right.
scross
join:2002-09-13
USA

scross

said by howardfine:

said by scross:

...a Google insider, and the amount of vitriol he threw at me when I tried to point some of its flaws was nothing short of astonishing! His attitude was literally "We're Google, we know what we're doing, and we know what's best for you - meanwhile you're just an incompetent user!"

I'm not surprised. These are very intelligent people who are directly working on the product and they DO know more than you and I about how it all works cause they have the bigger picture and...they work directly with the product...so we don't know what they know and they know everything about the users universal preferences.

In my restaurant, I occasionally get sniffy people who try and tell me how to run things and what to carry but they don't see what I see on a daily basis and don't understand why things are done the way they are. In many cases, what they are requesting is the exact opposite of what others tell me what they want or expect. I know better than the customer and, yes, the customer is not always right.

Yeah, yeah, yeah - "the smartest guys in the room!" Where have I heard that kind of BS before? And I don't care if you graduated at the top of your class and have a PhD from Stanford or wherever - "stupid is as stupid does", and not listening to someone when they try to tell you your product is broken (much less insulting them for going to the trouble) is just flat out stupid!

And actually, those guys may not know how it really works at all. They may know how it's supposed to work, or they may know how management tells them and the rest of the world how it's supposed to work, but they may not really have a clue as to how well it actually works (the quality of the results returned, that is). Unless they are doing the very type of testing that I was (informally) doing for them.