BBBanditRuR
Dingbits

join:2009-06-02
Parachute, CO
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to howardfine

Re: Could Linux take off thanks to Windows 8?

said by howardfine:

Microsoft loses about $500 million every quarter on Bing so maybe they do. Or should.

Since you mentioned it, I felt it's worth remembering this little "oopsie": »googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/02/···rch.html

--

Can Linux take off thanks to Windows 8?

My feelings are these:

In the "Desktop" no. Go Apple. The desktop concept is changing, and not in Microsoft's favor.

Hence; onwards to Mobile. My answer is, "Yes, sort of"; depends on too many factors for my brain to grasp (think Windows phone/Surface/iOS/Firefox OS/Android/Tizen... get the idea? It's still the three big ones, Apple, Microsoft and Linux. Linux however, has more of a chance, but who knows. If patents come into play (and their outcomes), it may be a moot point.

All I do know in this sector is that, "he who advertises and ships more units and has more developers and has the biggest user base..." could win. Win what? I don't know. Become the next target?

However, 10/10 people that I run into don't have a Windows phone...

On Servers --> Yes, and more yes. The web and that cloud buzzword(s) will keep it a viable option. Nobody likes licensing hurdles.

--

Gaming helps Linux in usage and coverage, maybe not ideologically, but that's another battle down the road. With the detest that Valve and I guess Blizzard now have for Win8, that should say something to the potential for desktop OS switching by users, but it depends on who sops them up, and how they plan on doing that.

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN

said by BBBanditRuR:

said by howardfine:

Microsoft loses about $500 million every quarter on Bing so maybe they do. Or should.

Since you mentioned it, I felt it's worth remembering this little "oopsie": »googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/02/···rch.html

Thanks for bringing that up! I was probably going to bring it up myself eventually if someone else didn't, but I couldn't remember if they ever really got hardcore proof of this skullduggery or not.