Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0 to davidhoffman

Premium Member

to davidhoffman

Re: [DIRECTV] Thinking of cutting the cord in the next 2 weeks

said by davidhoffman:

I never got the cord. I have been OTA for 26 years.

Of course what you don't consider is the VAST area of this country that is not possible.... nice if you live around a large city with flat terrain.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

Oh, I remember the BUDs(Big Ugly Dishes), when I traveled out into the rural areas and far suburbs of Illinois and Indiana. In Wisconsin they existed too. Those people could only get atmospheric skip channels at night from OTA. A friend of mine at work has lived in the forest area of Georgia for 25 years and could never get OTA to work. The TVFool maps would lead you to believe otherwise. They do not take into account dense tall forest interference. He has had DirecTV for a long time. The installers have had a difficult time each time he upgrades getting the antennas positioned to see through the few gaps in the tree cover.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0

Premium Member

And thing that pisses me off wiith sat for years here in Key West I could get distant locals like west coast which more fit my night schedule and didn't timer conflict with other things...

A few years ago Congress and FCC once again caved, and just because tied by CABLE though 150 miles from Miami and even over water no way any OTA without giant tower....we are now part of the Miami DMA... and not an option anymore, even though physically far closer toFL west coast Ft Myers DMA if anything.

And believe me KW and Miami socially and politically have about as much in common as Apples and Oranges.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

I have visited Key West and Miami for a short time. It was on the Majesty Cruise Ship Line, now gone. They had one ship. Yes, I was one of those befuddled tourists who stayed for only a day. No way are Miami and Key West similar. I do not know if I could take living in Key West with the long period of hurricane seasons. Always on edge, having to be ready to go north on a narrow road into mainland Florida or even Georgia at great expense. The homeowner's insurance rates must be astronomical. It is a beautiful place, so I guess the sacrifice is worth it to many.