Premium
join:2005-01-26
Plano, TX
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to FF4m3

Re: Is GNOME in Free Fall?

This is something I see written a lot but I don't understand it.

GNOME 2 was 'inspired by' Mac OS Classic
KDE was 'inspired by' Windows
GNOME 3 was 'inspired by' Mac OS X (Along with Unity)

I see nothing in GNOME 3 that would make it suitable for touchscreen use, just like Mac OS X is not suitable for touchscreen use. Does anyone have any examples? I think the people that make these comments don't own a iOS device or an Android device, or I am just missing something here.

On a side note, the GNOME 2 to GNOME 3 transition was not a big jump for me having been though the Mac OS Classic to Mac OS X transition. I think the users that feel shell shocked with this transition probably never used a Mac as well.
--
Verizon FiOS subscriber since 2005 | Mac owner since 1990 | Fedora user since 2006 | CentOS user since 2007 | "Anyone who is unwilling to learn is entitled to absolutely nothing." - graysonf | EDIT: I seldom post without an edit.

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL
said by rexbinary:

I see nothing in GNOME 3 that would make it suitable for touchscreen use, just like Mac OS X is not suitable for touchscreen use. Does anyone have any examples? I think the people that make these comments don't own a iOS device or an Android device, or I am just missing something here.

THIS.
I am a programmer, and I use Unity to great effect. It is very keyboard friendly, and allows me to work much smarter.
If I want to open SQL Developer I hit then 'S' followed by and it loads. A terminal can be brought up with ++t. I put different tasks on different virtual desktops and can quickly execute a command from a drop down menu with + and type in whatever without having to find where in the menu structure it was placed.
Unity is absolutely for desktops and power users.
I've played around in Gnome 3. I keep going back to Unity, which is probably speaks more to which desktop I've invested myself in being comfortable than the merits of one over the other.
--
"Padre, nobody said war was fun now bowl!" - Sherman T Potter

»maxolasersquad.com/

»maxolasersquad.blogspot.com

»www.facebook.com/maxolasersquad