Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Comcast

[Raiding] DS10 Fun Run: All paladins

So, last night some of us were talking while buffing up for a madness kill that we'd like to spice up a DS clear by going all paladin. Here are my thoughts on strat adjustments:

Morchock: Primary concern is that no melee is closer to the tank than the OT. Secondary concern is that melee will have to pay attention and run out to crystals when they are connected to them.

Yor'Sajh: Everyone but the current tank must kill blue orb. We might prioritize Blue add to avoid this mechanic entirely... which will make Green veeeeery interesting.

Zon'ozz: We will have to employ the Monkey in the Middle strat. OT---Raid-Boss---MT The Orb of unmaking will bounce between the tanks, and MT will run away when it's time for the boss to get hit by it (black phase). This may be the toughest adjustment for this fun run.

Hagara: No change.

Ultraxion: No change. In fact, this will be the best opportunity for the Minutes to Twilight achivement.

Blackhorn: one melee on each drake harpoon, the rest stays the same. Sappers... everyone will need a /tar macro and everyone will have to be ready to kill it... no ez-mode DK strat. May need to designate Hammer of Justice rotations. Retadins will be spamming exorcism/judgement on the armored drake for phase 2.

Spine: Firey Grip duty will be micro-managed. Primary and Secondary firey grip apointees will be marked, and expected to camp out near the tentacle when Firey Grip comes off of cooldown (DBM timers required).

Madness: We may have to adjust the platform order if single targetting bloods becomes problematic (might employ LFR order so that we only have to do this on one platform).

So, if any of you have done this and see that I've missed something, please feel free to let me know.
--
Immergruen (resto/boomie) on Nathrezim Server (US)
Guild leader for Pride and Ego

Intelligence is no substitute for Character.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
Get some video and then if you manage a full clear like that post the video.

Nick D
Premium
join:2010-02-04
Orange, CA

1 recommendation

reply to Immer
I assume this is for normal under the 30% nerf?

Morchok: easy fix. The tanks stand on each other's heads. Why is anyone anywhere else but Morchok's ass or on a crystal? Healers should get the crystal.

For Zon'ozz, have some real fun and just have pallies run out and solo bounce, cycling Divine Shield. Also, 3 healers are probably enough to just stand there and soak all of 'em, especially if you only do 5 bounces, so don't need to get fancy.

For Yor, just have everyone nuke blue (though I wonder if due to lack of caster DPS mana pools, if the healers will get back far less mana than usual). Why wait? With that much melee, don't get green.

More people on drakes on Warmaster (unless some of your rets are absolutely baller). Or do it heroic style and stack the adds on the drake. HoJ will be fine; should only need 2 at MOST per sapper. Most likely 1.

Single targeting bloods shouldn't be an issue at all on Madness. Mark a skull if you want to keep everyone stacked for Holy Radiance would be the only thing. The paladin puddle moves with the target after all.

addendum: for reference, people are 5 manning normal DS now (with heroic gear of course, but still), so I wouldn't sweat the details.

Mr Fel
Premium
join:2008-03-17
Louisville, KY
reply to DarkLogix
I'd definitely like to see the video as well.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Nick D
said by Nick D:

I assume this is for normal under the 30% nerf?

It is a fun run, so yes, 30% nerf in full effect. My primary concern for Yor'Sajh is that paladins need mana... regardless of spec. So that's why I might be prioritizing Blue>Green>Purple

We aren't the kind of guild (or server) that has Dk's soloing Atramedes, so... this is just funky enough to get us noticed, I think.

I have one guy that might be able to record this run... but we will be taking screen caps if we can't get the video.

Nick D
Premium
Orange, CA
It reminds me of the time during Ulduar our server put together a 25 man all-druid Sarth run. It was truly a healing forest.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
Yeah, I thought about doing all druid first, but our guild and our sister guild on the server seem to have more paladins geared up than druids. Druids will be our next fun run if everyone enjoys it.

Nick D
Premium
Orange, CA
reply to Immer
Ret pallies don't get their mana burned by blue (nor do Enh shamans). Only caster DPS and healers.

I'd do Green > Purple > doesn't matter, pick one (probably yellow; yellow/black is still an annoying combo ... esp. if you hate the Steelers).

(I don't hate the Steelers)

(maybe)

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Nick D:

Ret pallies don't get their mana burned by blue (nor do Enh shamans). Only caster DPS and healers.

now that's the kind of insight I was needing. (clearly I prefer tanking and healing, no?)

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
said by Immer:

said by Nick D:

now that's the kind of insight I was needing. (clearly I prefer tanking and healing, no?)

Then I'd bet the Ret's could burn the void fast.

Or just forget about the void, you all have self heals.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
no, we'll be burning down the void asap. shouldn't be a problem in the least.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
said by Immer:

couldn't all those pali's heal the tanks through it?

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by DarkLogix:

said by Immer:

couldn't all those pali's heal the tanks through it?

sometimes you get so hung up on a detail or a point of argument that I think you miss the overall picture. There simply is no point in making a fun run any more complicated than necessary. It will be 10 paladins... we can follow normal strats for this boss and move on to the bosses that might be difficult (zon'ozz, blackhorn, spine) for us without trying to completely ignore mechanics.
--
Immergruen (resto/boomie) on Nathrezim Server (US)
Guild leader for Pride and Ego

Intelligence is no substitute for Character.

Nick D
Premium
Orange, CA
Breaking a spine tendon is probably on the order of 1 Crusader Strike these days anyways.

stonhinge
Premium
join:2003-07-28
Topeka, KS
reply to Immer
For phase 2 of Blackhorn, ret paladins can Avenging Wrath>Hammer of Wrath as well.
--
When the ship lifts, all bills are paid. No regrets.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by stonhinge:

For phase 2 of Blackhorn, ret paladins can Avenging Wrath>Hammer of Wrath as well.

You mean on the armored drake? I thought she flies away at 25%... so I don't think Hammer of Wrath will be active.

Or are you just talking bout how to burn down blackhorn quickly?

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Nick D
said by Nick D:

Breaking a spine tendon is probably on the order of 1 Crusader Strike these days anyways.

when focused, they go down a little too fast. I forsee lots of rolling in our first attempt, lol.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Immer
I mentioned this run in /trade (scheduled for saturday night 8pm server time)... and it sparked a lot of curiosity... mainly from the heroic geared (read: bored with raiding now) crowd. I'll bet some of your hardcores in 25M Heroic guilds on high-pop servers could make an awesome show of this for the interwebs... 25M DS full clear in 2 hrs... go.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to Immer
said by Immer:

said by stonhinge:

You mean on the armored drake? I thought she flies away at 25%... so I don't think Hammer of Wrath will be active.

Wait a sec how are you going to DPS the armored drake?

I thought only ranged could reach her.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
ret pally exorcism spam and judgement. That part will suck.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
I know having the drake up causes the black aoe's but is it possible to just dps the boss?

If I were blizz I'd put in an achev for just that.

bTU

join:2009-04-22
Aurora, CO
reply to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

said by Immer:

said by stonhinge:

Wait a sec how are you going to DPS the armored drake?

I thought only ranged could reach her.

I forget if it's a glyph or talent in the ret tree but one of them allows you to cast hammer during the entire duration of avenging wrath regardless of health. You'd just have to make your rets use it then instead of the boss.
--
He who controls the Spice, controls the universe.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
awesome, will have to experiment with that.

Nick D
Premium
Orange, CA
reply to DarkLogix
You can melee the drake, no problem. It's traditionally required on heroic mode (usually while cleaving adds).

Just watch that last step; its a doozy.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
said by Nick D:

You can melee the drake, no problem. It's traditionally required on heroic mode (usually while cleaving adds).

Just watch that last step; its a doozy.

But on heroic doesn't the drake land on the ship? (just what I read on the dungeon journal)

Where as in reg the drake stays in the air (my flame orb can't even hit it)

Nick D
Premium
Orange, CA
Wait, you're talking about Goriona, NOT the side drakes. I UNDERSTAND NOW

yeah, she presents a problem. But Immer's got that solved. The ret HoW is a talent that all ret's take. They'll be able to hammer spam their way to glory no problem.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
thanks, guys.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to Nick D
I had said "armored drake" and ment the following posts to mean that, just didn't feel it needed to type "the armored drake" every time, when its the only unique drake in the fight so referring to it as "the drake" I thought was enough.

Nick D
Premium
Orange, CA
I admittedly started at the bottom of the thread (since it was on a new page). I've also never referred to Goriona as "the drake", because she's got a name man.

why you hatin'?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
Because "Goriona must die" alot