spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MSLA Bill

@bresnan.net

[Bresnan] Just got my 30MB Optimum Boost Service in Missoula, MT

Seems like there is some over subscription going on.

If I run the official optimum west speed test to Missoula I get a perfect 30+ download speed. Yay me!

If I run any other speed test on the Internet (speakeasy, bandwidthplace, dslreports, and others), the best I have gotten is 9/4

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
kudos:3

Re: [Bresnan] Just got my 30MB Optimum Boost Service in Missoula

Try downloading several files at once see what you get.

JohnILM
Mayhem til the AM
Premium
join:2003-03-15
Tuckahoe, NY
reply to MSLA Bill

Remember it's 30Mb (megabits), big difference from 30MB (megabytes).

On speedtest.net, the optimum speed test, dslreports ... I get somewhere between 25Mbps and 27Mbps.

On speakeasy, I'll get 25Mbps on the DC locations (rather than the closer NY location which gives about 15Mbps).

Bandwidth place give me around 20Mbps.

All of them give a consistent 8Mbps up.

Also, I should note that I'm wifi wireless g.

I'm sure someone else here can give you more insight into the differences between speed test results.

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to MSLA Bill

Are the speeds reported received when directly connected to the modem? Also, do you have a Docsis 3 modem? I don't know the current state of west operations (if full footprint of Docsis 3 upgrades are done, for example, and how many downstream channels are available if so), and how easy it is to get a docsis 3 modem, but a good first step would be to call support and see what they have to say about it.

koolkid1563
Premium,MVM
join:2005-11-06
Powell, WY
reply to MSLA Bill

I know when I had OOL/Bresnan in Butte on a SB6120 with 4 bonded DS channels I could test out at a perfect 30/5 to the on-network speedtest locations (»www.bresnan.com/speedtest) but anywhere else off-network would be maybe 10-12Mb/s at best. At the time you could see a bottleneck when Bresnan handed off to any of their peers out of Billings on traces. I moved out of Butte 3 months ago so I can't comment on the current state of things there but something tells me things are still the same.

MSLA_Bill

@bresnan.net

These tests are done plugged directly into the back of the cable modem. The modem is the standard Cisco DPQ-3925