Search similar:

uniqs
This is a sub-selection from
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72

Free Speech?

These are not "people" --well at least our supreme court foolishly thinks so, they are for profit companies and thus what they say are under consumer protection clauses and should be regulated. Before such laws existed people were selling snake oil in the streets.

So I guess what they are saying is that they have replaced snake oil with telecom. Fitting, snakes...

What they are saying is in essence we can make up whatever we want and not be held to it. In that case, their contracts should all be voided then

This ranks up there with unlimited internet and unlimited VOIP, or unlimited until it is no longer highly profitable.

jester121
Premium Member
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

jester121

Premium Member

said by elefante72:

These are not "people"

Yes, they are collections of people. Employees, owners, managers, investors. All people.

If they weren't people, they wouldn't be able to do any of the awful things that people accuse them of.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25

Your comment is so stupid I dont know if you are being sarcastic or serious.

In no way is a company nor a corporation a person in any way shape or form. Something consisting of people, does not make it a person you and the supreme court saying otherwise is shear stupidity.

jester121
Premium Member
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

jester121

Premium Member

I'm quite comfortable siding with the Supremes, especially if it's the alternative to your opinion.
dra6o0n
join:2011-08-15
Mississauga, ON

dra6o0n

No, he's right. A company or corporation is the enbodiedment of a organization, not a person or a individual.

A organization does have the thought process of what it's goal is, it's needs and wants, like that of a person, but it isn't a human being per say.

It's easier to look at it like a bus, it only goes one way, whether you like it or not, you rode on it, you are a passenger on it.

So no, companies and corporations are not people, it's a name, a business, used by groups of people, under the guise of a identity.

You can be a part of Roger's company and they'll say things like "We at rogers would prefer" and it would be applicable to you too, regardless if you deny what Rogers says as a company.

GlobalMind
Domino Dude, POWER Systems Guy
Premium Member
join:2001-10-29
Indianapolis, IN

GlobalMind

Premium Member

said by dra6o0n:

No, he's right. A company or corporation is the enbodiedment of a organization, not a person or a individual.

All true but totally irrelevant. I actually disagree with SCOTUS on the subject of an organization being the same as a person.

However, the First Amendment that so often times trotted out in these arguments does not say in it's text that it is to only apply to people.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The purpose of such amendment, like others, is to set the guidance for the actions of government. Congress shall make no law... it does not state that law must only apply to individual citizens.

So while I think the argument VZ and others have made regarding their 1st Amendment rights being violated when having to adhere to consumer protections is laughable, making the statement that the Amendment only applies to people is in fact without basis - at least in literal read of the text. In spirit did they mean citizens...probably. But that's not what it says.

There are also many out there who think that the 1st provides the right of every citizen to say whatever they want without the burden of consequence, and that's simply not at all true. Your employer, your friend, folks who think you're full of crap...none of them violate your 1st amendment rights by calling you out on your BS.

The 1st only applies to government's actions. And that's where these guys are complaining. Again, I think it's crap but that's the application they are using.
This is a sub-selection from