Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Bonedoggie

join:2012-08-09
Montclair, NJ

Change to Fios Broadband Only

Hello All,

We recently cut the cord to Fios television and telephone, but have maintained the broadband service. We watch TV over air and via Netflix, etc. and we have Vonage for POTS. With this change I have a couple of questions. I apologize if these topics have been covered before, and please direct me to an appropriate search if that would save duplication here.

1) I believe I am correct that I no longer have any need for the Verizon provided router and I can replace it with my Airport Base Station as long as I release the IP properly as described elsewhere in this forum. Can you confirm this? Is there any reason I should maintain the old set up which has the verizon router as the primary and the Airport as a bridged device used only for the wifi?

2) Do I have any need for the battery back up and the in house device which contains it? The ethernet line comes to my router from the ONT outside, but I don't know if I even neet to power this other device. It was my understanding that it was only for the Fios telephone service.

Thanks in advance.

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
kudos:2

1 recommendation

1) Correct

2) You need the Power Supply, the battery backup is for phone, but the Power Supply powers the ONT for all services.

Bob99

join:2001-12-07
Teaneck, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

With some ONT models the battery does back up the Internet connection. The amount of time that the Internet backup lasts varies with different models. Of course, you would also need backup power (a UPS) for the AirPort in order for the ONT backup to do you any good. Your laptops would run on their batteries.

You can test whether you have battery backup for the Internet by unplugging the battery backup/power supply unit from the electrical outlet. If the Internet stays up, leave it unplugged for half an hour, or until the connection drops, to see if it has a short time limit.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
reply to Bonedoggie

Depending on your technical skills, you may be interested in this topic. »FiOS BBU operation [long post]

Since you no longer rely on FiOS for their phone service, it's more important for you to keep data services running during a power outage.

VirtualLarry
Premium
join:2003-08-01
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
reply to Bonedoggie

Is it still true that if you move to a data-only service, that you must pay by credit card? That is what I was told when I tried to drop my TV service from my double-play bundle. Since I don't own any credit cards, I'm screwed and stuck with the double-play bundle.

serge87

join:2009-11-29
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by VirtualLarry:

Is it still true that if you move to a data-only service, that you must pay by credit card? That is what I was told when I tried to drop my TV service from my double-play bundle. Since I don't own any credit cards, I'm screwed and stuck with the double-play bundle.

Not the case for me on Business FIOS. When I did have Residential it was credit card only but I was pleasantly surprised when I switched to a Business account.