Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

chgo_man99

join:2010-01-01
San Jose, CA
reply to digiblur

Re: This is old news

Springfield Massachusetts is technological desert. It would not surprise me they don't have e911 on cell phone there. In Chicagoland they have not only e911 in some locations but also some townships, like bloomingdale in Dupage, have a website where u can register any of your phone number and you provide there all details, address, relatives, medical information, directions etc. Once you call from your registered number they have everything in place.

join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH

E-911 depends on the state. Ohio and Michigan both have e-911 but it is only phone number. e911 was 2 phases location is hit and miss and was never required as they can obtain your phone number.

NetFixer
Snarl For The Camera Please
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by 25139889:

E-911 depends on the state. Ohio and Michigan both have e-911 but it is only phone number. e911 was 2 phases location is hit and miss and was never required as they can obtain your phone number.

And with the AT&T device being discussed in this thread, it probably won't make any difference if you live in an area that fully supports all of the E-911 features (including GPS for mobile phones) unless the device is connecting through an AT&T 3G Microcell.

I could not find anything in the on-line documentation supplied by AT&T that even implied that this device supports GPS. However in several places there is a 911 warning disclaimer:

said by AT&T :

You should expect to provide your home address to the emergency response center responsible for sending first responders (e.g., police, medical assistance, or fire) to your location.

I think that the only way this device would fully support E-911 would be in conjunction with a 3G Microcell because the 3G Microcell does use GPS (and if my memory serves me, it also uses a manually entered street address that is expected to match the GPS reading).
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.