how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

moes

join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT

landline

Had my landline for 20 years now, same number and all, they think I am willing to get rid of it, nada gona happen.

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO
What will you do when the number of customers on copper drops far enough that the plant maintenance costs a fortune for those that remain? Maybe that's 10 years out but it's eventually going to happen. If you think the local PUC will prevent rates from doubling, rates are based on cost and if they show costs vs. revenue are out of whack, they'll get a rate increase.

blohner

join:2002-06-26
Cortlandt Manor, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Optimum Online
reply to moes
You won't give up your number... And depending how solid your POTS physical plant is you may or may not be better off overall on wireles... When I went from POTS to VoIP my reliability whent up dramatically... I - like many others - am on a POTS plant that is 50+ years old and I am almost 5 miles from CO - as such any thing from a fallen tree to a sneezing squirrel will cause a problem... No more POTS for me and I already had two multi day events where the neighbors came to my house to make calls as none of the traditional network was up...
--
I am addicted to speed --- Boost + speed that is ---

join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH
reply to moes
never heard of number portability?

moes

join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT
Reviews:
·Revol Wireless
·Optimum Online
reply to moes
Well I guess when the time comes they can reclaim it then, because I'm not giving it up, also not going to port, heard way to many horror stories and with how many people in the family are ill right now and old, i could not be down for more then an hour.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to rradina
said by rradina:

What will you do when the number of customers on copper drops far enough that the plant maintenance costs a fortune for those that remain? Maybe that's 10 years out but it's eventually going to happen. If you think the local PUC will prevent rates from doubling, rates are based on cost and if they show costs vs. revenue are out of whack, they'll get a rate increase.

I'd say 20 years not 10 and I probably won't be around in 20 years. Even if the rates go up (I doubt double in my remaining lifetime), I still would keep my landline. In fact, my landline company notified me on this month's bill that my unlisted, unpublished service monthly fee was more than doubling in price beginning next month. (I can't imagine why that service I have had since 1976 at a fixed monthly fee is suddenly more than doubling in price).

I have no interest in ever owning a cell phone because I value my privacy. I will get a cheap, prepaid cell phone only for emergency calls if, during my lifetime, public phones disappear. Plus, I pay my credit cards via my landline which is much more secure than a cell phone for that purpose or even my computer. My ISP offers joke phone service ....joke because there is no battery backup so no way to reach 911 during a power outage (we have quite a few of those). I don't even use cordless phones for years now because of the privacy issues with them and the fact that you had to keep a corded phone on hand for use during power outages anyway so why not just use the corded phone which has much better sound quality and better speaker phone.

I would spend less money if I switched to my ISP's Mickey Mouse phone service because of package deals but I know from others that unlisted, unpublished numbers with them is a joke and there is no battery backup. My local phone company's motto is "Always On" as a constant reminder that the cable company's phone service is not always on. Plus, who wants one of the monstrosity modems that is necessary if you get phone service from the cable company? I like my Surfboard modem very much and also do not want to go through the crap my friend is going through currently in order to upgrade his internet speed with no DOCSIS 3 EMTA modem available.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson