Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

wdh280
TWC Extreme

join:2001-10-13
Middletown, OH

[TWC] Aaris TG852G question.

So just seen from another thread that this modem has alot of security holes. Should i call Twc ask for a new modem or are they going to fix the security holes or can they? Here the article on the security holes.
»www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenbe···ecurity/

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX
kudos:6
Go to your local service center and see if they have any other brands. That is a digital phone modem isn't it (eMTA)? I have the ubee one the DVW3201B, I think they are trying to phase these out and go to the arris ones like the one you got but still it won't hurt to ask at your local service center if they got any other brands.
--
»www.akaskriller.com - Your ultimate source for all android needs.

bluepoint

join:2001-03-24

2 edits
reply to wdh280
said by wdh280:

So just seen from another thread that this modem has alot of security holes. Should i call Twc ask for a new modem or are they going to fix the security holes or can they? Here the article on the security holes.

I have always worry when my network is managed by someone else, these things will happen. With TWC taking responsibility of managing these routers, they can be liable for lawsuit damages, I hope they realize that. If you want to secure your own network while the issue has not been fixed or to have control of your own network, ask TWC to set your modem in bridge mode then put your own wireless router which effectively closes the vulnerabilities and have control of your own destiny.

Added: BTW, if you do the bridging the modem and turning off the wireless, make sure you ask TWC to remove the monthly wireless charges from your account if it applies.

wdh280
TWC Extreme

Middletown, OH
reply to wdh280
Thanks for the replys guys i have a friend that works for Twc he's a network system adminstrator level II. He's checking into this for me. I'll keep you guys posted.

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:13
reply to bluepoint
said by bluepoint:

With TWC taking responsibility of managing these routers, they can be liable for lawsuit damages, I hope they realize that.

Actually, the ToS you agree to by using their service says they cannot. You also cannot sue them and must use their binding arbitration instead unless you opted out within 30 days of installing the service.

/M

bluepoint

said by mackey:

said by bluepoint:

With TWC taking responsibility of managing these routers, they can be liable for lawsuit damages, I hope they realize that.

Actually, the ToS you agree to by using their service says they cannot. You also cannot sue them and must use their binding arbitration instead unless you opted out within 30 days of installing the service.

/M

It's subject to court interpretation. The TOS doesnot give them authority to not care and secure those routers when they assume responsibility of managing those defective routers, specially if the holes are known to the public.

whiteyonenh

join:2004-08-09
Keene, NH
reply to wdh280
said by wdh280:

I went to that talk, and it was really quite amusing. Audio can be found here: »www.hopenumbernine.net/schedule/

The talk was called: The ARRIStocrats: Cable Modem Lulz

bluepoint

reply to wdh280
said by wdh280:

Thanks for the replys guys i have a friend that works for Twc he's a network system adminstrator level II. He's checking into this for me. I'll keep you guys posted.

I just take a hold of a TG852G and found out that it is configurable by any owner, it's not true that the settings are not accessable. I was able to change the SSID/shared keys, turn the wireless off and set the modem in bridge mode all by myself. It looks like the author of the article you posted didn't even try or is just full of it.

wdh280
TWC Extreme

Middletown, OH
Yea my friend at TWC told me that they patch that part of the modem so you change the settings! He also told me another patch is in the works to fix security holes. He not sure the next patch will fix all the security holes or just some. As of this moment i'm keeping the modem no plans to switch it out yet want to see if they patch it. Also thinking of upgrading my speed to turbo plan 20/2.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:5
reply to wdh280
Wow. I hope my new TM502G doesn't have any of these problems, but then it doesn't come with wireless. I will handle the internal networking stuff myself!

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11
said by antdude:

Wow. I hope my new TM502G doesn't have any of these problems, but then it doesn't come with wireless. I will handle the internal networking stuff myself!

This made me laugh.

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by hobgoblin:

said by antdude:

This made me laugh.

Hob

:P
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

wdh280
TWC Extreme

Middletown, OH
reply to hobgoblin
Should be fine with that modem. My internet and phone stop working earlier had to call cable TWC when they was able to get it back up i went in and seen that the firmware was change from sept 2011 to may 2012 not sure why it's not dated aug 2012 if they was to upgrade the firmware who knows.

wdh280
TWC Extreme

Middletown, OH
reply to wdh280
Aaris TG852G
Before

Name: TS0703108D_091611_MODEL_852_GW_TW
Firmware Build Time: Fri Sep 16 16:50:59 EDT 2011
eSAFE 0 FW Revision: 2.0.22C_0916_CERT

After

Firmware Name: TS070532D_050712_MODEL_852_GW_TW
Firmware Build Time: Mon May 7 17:21:19 EDT 2012
eSAFE 0 FW Revision: 2.0.40_0508

bluepoint

New Firmware pushed this morning.

Firmware Name:TS070532H_071412_MODEL_852_GW_TW
Firmware Build Time:Sat Jul 14 00:57:42 EDT 2012
eSAFE 0 FW Revision:2.0.40_0508B

wdh280
TWC Extreme

Middletown, OH
I know now can't log in to the modem anymore to change any settings sucks lol.

bluepoint

Are you connecting to the modem wirelessly?

wdh280
TWC Extreme

Middletown, OH
Yes up until today was able to log in to the modem and change settings now i can't.

bluepoint

Most of the time, rebooting the modem will fix your no access problem. If not, connect your pc to the modem/router with an ethernet cable and access it from there.
Just a note, I can access the modem wirelessly with the new firmware.

wdh280
TWC Extreme

Middletown, OH
How the password of the day doesn't work anymore from here »www.borfast.com/projects/arris-t···nerator?