how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

lunarchild

join:2011-02-26

Telus Fee Increase out of nowhere!

Hi guys,

I was just reviewing my last few invoices from Telus and noticed that they have arbitrarily increased the fees again.

I am currently discussing my bill with Telus "support" staff and they really have no explanation for the fee increase and what it covers, other than "the fee increase was noted on your last bill" and you have to accept it brute force, yadda yadda.

Anyone else fed up with Telus' crappy service and out of the blue fee increases? I definitely do not notice an improvement, in fact, I notice my service deteriorating!

All feedback welcome.
P.S. I am on contract for 5 more months. Telus informs me I have to pay up, no questions asked. Damn contract. The free Xbox WAS NOT worth it! Lol.

Cheers everyone.

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB
Not sure how many times people have to get sucked into contracts before realizing, the small devices they give with it are not worth it. A $300-400 laptop or xbox is not worth Telus bending you over for 3 years.

lunarchild

True dat rustydusty! :-D I think I have learned my lesson one thousand fold!

Still, the game over at Telus continues. I must have spoken to four different individuals who all kept wanting to pass me onto someone else. It was a horror show. That and nobody could explain what the fee increase covered and how it improves upon their service.

It blows my mind. I really want to draw attention to this, as I know some people received a $8 or $9 price hike out of nowhere, and again noticed zero improvement.

I would love to boycott Telus and see a throng of people behind me.
I regret my choice to go with them... all this for a lousy Xbox?
There is a joke there somewhere lol

Mister M

join:2010-05-01
Vancouver, BC
reply to lunarchild
I'm confused here.

I thought the entire point of a contract was that you paid a pre-arranged price for the duration of that contract so as to shelter you from a price increase? If the price can be raised at any time then what would be the incentive? I don't get it.

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB
A SHINY NEW XBOX!!!

Branflakes

@74.198.150.x
reply to Mister M
Telus contracts offer NO price protection for a long time now. Unfortunately Telus overseas call centre cold callers don't tell you that. The Canadian employees are hit and miss but much better. A poxy laptop or tablet isnt worth it IMO.

lunarchild

All good points.
Today I learned that our contract does not have price protection.
So we got hit with the price hike... but the price was already bloated for what little we have signed up for and the overall bad service in our area (Surrey B.C.)
It just stings a bit as our internet service has been rapidly deteriorating and dropping altogether. I have ruled out the router and other possible causes of interference and interruption.
I was hoping that as a result they would reverse the fee hike or promise to improve the service. I got nowhere with them.
Everyone I talked to seemed especially confused with the very services they offer and support! I was passed around endlessly until I got tired and had to go back to work.
Our Vancouver Telus office has fallen a long way since we were last forced to use them (in a basement suite, back in '08).

You are absolutely right. No offering or shiny device is worth the crap one has to deal with in a contract. Xboxs are dropping in price all the time as it is! Lol. What were we thinking? I do not know!

chip89
Premium
join:2012-07-05
Independence, OH
reply to rustydusty
It is not worth it at all just for a free Xbox at lest Microsoft does their buy a PC and get a Xbox deal every once in a while.

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to lunarchild
Companies don't always raise fee's because they've added a service to their clients. They do it to raise revenues (and profits), cover increased costs (just like our bills, corporate spending tends to increase over time due to inflation) etc....

Asking what improvements have been made to justify a price increase is a pretty lame question to ask a CSR. There may not have been any, or they might directing infrastructure upgrades in areas that you don't live it.

As for locking in the 3 year contracts without price protection. That's pretty bad. I had no idea Telus did that (I always assumed the rate was guaranteed for the period of the contract). I don't sign long term contracts anyways, but this gives me on more reason not to.

I've been with Shaw for about a year now. They also keep raising prices. I've considered going back to Telus but when you get past their intro offers, they're pricing isn't any better than shaws.

Roofer

join:2010-11-24
reply to lunarchild
I notice on the Telus website, HS Turbo is listed as $47 bundled, but my bill is $50 bundled (I am not on a contract). How can I be paying more than what the advertised normal price is?

nss_tech

join:2007-07-29
Edmonton AB
Knowing Telus, the $3 increase that appeared on June's bill (if I remember right) is in place but they just never bothered to update the website. The group that does the website is usually tied up in a ton of red tape so any updates have to be approved by a LOT of different managers and directors (not sure if VPs are involved) before changes can be posted.

Roofer

join:2010-11-24

1 edit
said by nss_tech:

Knowing Telus, the $3 increase that appeared on June's bill (if I remember right) is in place but they just never bothered to update the website. The group that does the website is usually tied up in a ton of red tape so any updates have to be approved by a LOT of different managers and directors (not sure if VPs are involved) before changes can be posted.

That comes across as a game that telecos play to hide the true higher costs from potential new customers. So all of us should be able to point to that site & demand that price? Isn't this like the sticker being wrong in a store?

Just to be sure, I did a screen capture so the credit can be retroactively applied.

sphexi

join:2002-08-22
Victoria, BC
reply to lunarchild
I got an email about the increase, as well as saw it on the website in the account area before it happened. At the same time note that they tossed the HD channels into the packs, so you don't pay for the pack + HD anymore, just pack now. Works for me as I have a few channel packs that came with HD, and I watch the HD versions now.

Realistically, STILL cheaper than Shaw was for what we get.

mithrilG60

join:2011-04-21
Vancouver, BC
reply to lunarchild
Have to agree with the other posters, I received an email noting the upcoming price changes well before they were implemented. Telus was also way easier to get a price match out of than Shaw ever was. Been with Telus for 1.5 yrs after being with Shaw for 10… no problems with Telus' service or customer service yet.

I also refused to get dragged into a contract on the promise of a "free" Xbox/tablet/laptop/etc. Nothing is ever free, the loss of freedom to switch providers when I want just isn't worth it IMHO.

mrTelus

@telus.net
I agree price increases suck, but this is my most recent speedtest on my optik 25 connection

»www.speedtest.net/result/2157759970.png

Speeds seem to have been upgraded in my area, so I'm not complaining if the service is stepping up to match!

ChuckcZar

@teksavvy.com
reply to lunarchild
With dsl and VDSL set to go the way of the do-do bird or dinosaur it's hard to believe they'd have the nerve to prematurely set this process in motion. Heck with price cuts Telus could last maybe another 5 years before dsl and VDSL is phased out completely.

Symtex

join:2005-04-06
Burnaby, BC
kudos:21
said by ChuckcZar :

With dsl and VDSL set to go the way of the do-do bird or dinosaur it's hard to believe they'd have the nerve to prematurely set this process in motion. Heck with price cuts Telus could last maybe another 5 years before dsl and VDSL is phased out completely.

They said the same thing about the ATM network 4 years ago and still alive and kicking. VDSL is not going anywhere for a long time.
--
I may work for, but do not necessarily represent the views and beliefs of TELUS Communications.

bimmerdriver

join:2010-12-10
Coquitlam, BC
reply to mrTelus
Just noticed that Telus is finally hosting a speedtest server in Vancouver.

SlowDSL

@shawcable.net
reply to lunarchild
Maybe they are trying to match the prices of their wireless internet services?

My Galaxy S3 can break 50mbps down and 15mbps up on their LTE network, yet all I can get to my house with DSL services is 15mbps! Some what sad IMO.

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to lunarchild
I left telus about a year ago because I moved into a place that couldn't get turbo 25 anymore. Its a shame that telus doesn't have their top tier rolled out to more of Victoria.

To make everyone else feel better, Shaw keeps raising their rates too.

At least we some competition between shaw/telus. It would really suck be stuck in the Rogers/Bell service areas..!

Muncher

join:2008-04-15
reply to lunarchild
Get ready more is coming late September/October I had to call mytv and was told that my bestofHD pack is going to increase 5 bucks (currently paying 20 bucks for it). It looks like I'm cutting back to just the basic tv. That is the only thing that is price guaranteed for the remainder of the contract. Yes, I wanted the xbox. I will not pay more for the service, I will pay less, I will cut back.

JammerMan79
Premium,VIP
join:2004-05-13
Prince George, BC
kudos:10
fyi
the basic is not rate protected either

businessman

@telus.net
reply to zod5000
said by zod5000:

I left telus about a year ago because I moved into a place that couldn't get turbo 25 anymore. Its a shame that telus doesn't have their top tier rolled out to more of Victoria.

To make everyone else feel better, Shaw keeps raising their rates too.

At least we some competition between shaw/telus. It would really suck be stuck in the Rogers/Bell service areas..!

No, that is not competition. It is called collusion. Check your facts before you post.

Toodee2
Premium
join:2009-04-06
Canada
reply to lunarchild
And I also notice some new fees on my current telephone bill (landline) have magically appeared...

- E9-1-1 Municipal Call Answer Fee
- E9-1-1 Municipal Call Answer Fee (from Jul 21 to Aug19)
- E9-1-1 Provincial Network Fee

Now they're not large amounts (all under $1) but what's that all about?

nss_tech

Edmonton AB
The E911 fees are NOT new in any way. They have been present for quite some time. Those charges are provincial / municipal and are not from Telus.

Toodee2
Premium
Canada
reply to lunarchild
Thanks for the info nss_tech.....

Its just that this is the 1st time they've been presented that way on our monthly telephone bill.....

Up until now there's been charges for:
- local line
- long distance admin fee
- our long distance plan

Then those 3 E-9-1-1 charges showed up on this bill for the 1st time....I've checked our previous bills & not found them listed....

nss_tech

Edmonton AB
I've had them listed on my bills since I got my current line a year ago.

JammerMan79
Premium,VIP
join:2004-05-13
Prince George, BC
kudos:10
reply to Toodee2
Where do you live ?
Did you just get 911?
For most people they've been around for years

Toodee2
Premium
Canada
reply to lunarchild
I live to the west of you JammerMan79.....we've had 911 for about 6 mo. now.....

I guess that's why it appeared.....& of course the way its printed on the bill, E9-1-1 Municipal Call Answer Fee, I didn't even twig to being for 911..... .....

nss_tech

Edmonton AB
said by Toodee2:

... I didn't even twig to being for 911..... .....

twig?