Premium Member

Um...What the F---?

Home-built PC's to become illegal?

Should I be paranoid?

onavi
join:2000-09-21
Porter Ranch, CA

onavi

i've just looked quickly at the first page, if it does happen, I'm packing my bags, getting in the car, and moving back to Canada

Weasel
Premium Member
join:2001-12-03
Minnesota

Weasel to Stonedonkey

Premium Member

to Stonedonkey
Mind if I hop a rid Onavi?

Axilla
Finger, Finger

join:2001-03-26
Schofield, WI

Axilla to Stonedonkey

to Stonedonkey
me gets the feeling a large amount of 'rouge' users would crop up with rouge ISPs, software companies, ect... you8 thought Napster was big? just wait.

DelaWhere_Steve
join:2001-03-21

DelaWhere_Steve

kinda hard to enforce.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to Stonedonkey

MVM

to Stonedonkey

Symptom of a larger threat

While the Security System Standards and Certification Act looks like it is getting a cool reception in congress it is symptomatic of a much bigger problem.

The music and film industry i.e. RIAA and MPAA are terrified of people using computers and have successfully lobbied congress to:

#1 Tax recordable media because it may be used to infringe on copyright.

#2 In Canada just passed a heavy tax on portable music players based on storage size.

#3 Continually extend the length of copyright protection so it makes a mockery of the constitutional provision "for limited period of time."

#4 Passed the draconian Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) which allows content owners to use technical controls to assert total control over how copyrighted material can be use. Negating the principal of fair use under copyright law. DMCA even makes it a crime to discuss the technical provisions used to protect the work (re. the Professor Felten case).

#5 SSSCA is designed to ratchet up the level of control. In Professor Larry Lessig's words the goal is "Perfect control of content."

In a few years if you want to read a book a second time, or listen to a song, send more money. Give your password to your brother to read a book you purchased -- get convicted of theft. The goal of the media industry is to charge for every possible commercial and private use of the material they create and due it in perpetuity. Nothing will ever become public domain, even though many of the works currently under copyright protection are based on public domain material. Eventually we will all live in fear of the copyright police.

This is the world media conglomerates want to create because the Internet terrifies them. Just at the automobile displaced the buggy whip manufactures the Internet eliminates there strangle hold on distribution. The only way these folks can stay in business is to prevent the Internet from being used. They are attempting to do this by passing laws that protect their historic monopoly and by implementing technology that artificially increases communication cost.

For more info in SSSCA:
»216.110.42.179/docs/holl ··· 701.html

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike to Stonedonkey

Mod

to Stonedonkey

Re: Um...What the F---?

You can call us nerds... we don't care.

You can pick on us at school.. we don't care.

If I'm forced to buy a Dell, or some national chain computer with shitty parts, there is going to be hell to pay.

JeffB8
Premium Member
join:2001-12-20
Somewhere

JeffB8

Premium Member

If they do everything they're saying there...you won't have to worry about ever owning a PC again, it'll be too cost prohibitive

zno
join:2002-01-08
Atlanta, GA

zno to Stonedonkey

to Stonedonkey
a few things no one will ever be able to control...

alcohol, tobacco, drugs, guns and BINARIES.
as long as it consists of "0"s and "1"s, there's a good chance cloning them.

if they don't like what people do, they can go back to analog, LP and VHS where no exact copy can be made.

marine1
M82A1... The Ultimate Choice
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Houston, TX

marine1 to Stonedonkey

Premium Member

to Stonedonkey
Time to go and find a remote island that doesn't belong to another country, and create a whole new civilization......

dbmaven
There's no shortage
Mod
join:1999-10-26
Sty in Sky

dbmaven to Stonedonkey

Mod

to Stonedonkey
Make sure you sign the petition - and don't forget to write to your local Congressman/Senator.

Petition here:
»www.petitiononline.com/S ··· ion.html

nitricacid
join:2001-07-30
Elizabeth, NJ

nitricacid to Stonedonkey

to Stonedonkey
There's big brother tring to control and regulate the computer field. That SSSCA bill is just plain scary. If that were to pass they would screw everything up for computers. Sale, devolopment, research. U name it. Who would want to sell computers(limited profits if it passed)? Who would want to have one? Government hasn't regulated the internet and such and it should stay that way. Do u think the internet would be what it is if government stepped in to try and "help the ppl"? Do u think u would have a 2.2ghz CPU right now if government regulated like they want to do? Leave us alone and go fix your current system instead of adding more mess to what u call government.

Voice your opinion. Write your House and Senate members. Sign the petition against the SSSCA bill

DelaWhere_Steve
join:2001-03-21

DelaWhere_Steve

Free the electrons!

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0 to Stonedonkey

Premium Member

to Stonedonkey

The hell they'd better NOT!

This is simply an outrage beyond every possible facet.

The x86 platform was built on OPEN STANDARDS, okay? It wasn't built on the proprietary crap that these OEMs are trying to do (don't get me started on my Getaway). These computer OEMs are trying to be their own Apple. Nobody is going to be able to become their own Apple that easily, but that's apparently not stopping OEMs now, which is why i wanted to build my own. And now this bill wants to make it illegal? Then they can go @#$%^ themselves, because I will be voting against it so fast... now where's that voting booth?

FastEddie

join:2000-12-29
Channel Z

FastEddie

They'll have to pry my home built out of my cold dead hands!

zno
join:2002-01-08
Atlanta, GA

zno

adding two more hands.

racer9876
Defender Of The Universe
Premium Member
join:2000-07-03
Lancaster, CA
·Frontier FiberOp..
(Software) pfSense
eero Pro 6

racer9876 to Stonedonkey

Premium Member

to Stonedonkey

Re: Um...What the F---?

Man this really sucks. I hate the RIAA and MPAA so much. Look here you !@#$%^& (times infinity). Ah now I feel better. I think that is time that the people did something about this. Now what we do about this is entirely up to that individual. For me I would say ANYTHING that needs to be done. I will leave it up to your imaginations how far we must go in order to secure our freedom of choice.

Anjorni
Hello World
join:2001-12-13
Van Nuys, CA

Anjorni to Stonedonkey

to Stonedonkey
How can someone even CONSIDER passing this F*CK*NG piece of legislation?? MONEY HUNGRY B*ST*RDS!!! If you want to make more money, put out better material! Material people would be WILLING to buy....not punish the ENTIRE WORLD for downloading to what amounts to nothing more than a little change that would have been in your pocket. IF DVD'S AND CD'S WERENT SO DAMNED OVERPRICED TO BEGIN WITH -- NOBODY WOULD HAVE EVEN STARTED DOWNLOADING MUSIC (and that, my friends, is where it all began)

rtcpenguin
Premium Member
join:2001-01-21
Fairfax, VA

rtcpenguin

Premium Member

not a chance in hell.

they can't stop me from building my own computer

seqrets
Premium Member
join:2001-05-03
Nederland, TX

seqrets to dbmaven

Premium Member

to dbmaven
said by dbmaven:
Make sure you sign the petition - and don't forget to write to your local Congressman/Senator.

Petition here:
»www.petitiononline.com/S ··· ion.html

[text was edited by author 2002-03-13 15:14:50]

Nsane_iceman
Premium Member
join:2001-02-26
North Richland Hills, TX

Nsane_iceman to Stonedonkey

Premium Member

to Stonedonkey
I am going to Russia, getting a new name like Boris, and building great computers top of the line and sell them to the black market in the US ;) got to make a living some how...

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to Stonedonkey

MVM

to Stonedonkey
Stop the world, I wanna get off!!!

I would honestly rather not touch another PC for as long as I live then conform to this atrocity.

Lets look at the big picture!! Anyone who is apt to engage in illegal or immoral activity with a computer wont give a hang about this bill because they will just keep on keeping on.

Righteous law abiding citizens are the only people who will be getting hosed by this bill. And if you continue to use your illegal box, well, your no longer law abiding then….are you!?!

When your freedom of choice is being curtailed by your government, 99.999% of the time, you’re just being screwed. It just doesn’t get any simpler then that.

flashlites
Premium Member
join:2001-01-22
Trenton, NJ

flashlites to Stonedonkey

Premium Member

to Stonedonkey
This is my re-post from the SETI forum
Michael Dell wouldn't be worth $36 Billion today if this were a law back when he started building PC's out of his dorm room.

Hollywood can go to hell (oh wait, isn't Hollywood hell already?)

I'm not a fan of downloading music or movies; but it seems to me that there should be some type of tax or fee that could be imposed on those that do. If you drive your car more then most...you pay more gas tax. If you smoke, you pay a tobacco tax. MY ISP knows what sites I go to. They have hardware that tracks this, so they can monitor bandwidth. If there is abuse in the system, impose a fee on those who do the abusing.

We should vote with our wallets. If Hollywood, and Record companies want to play games...I'll buy my CD's from the artist themselves on line, if that's what it takes. If more music artist released their music independent (on the web) they may make more money. Besides, you pay $15 for a CD with 3 good songs and 11 others that will never see the light of day (on Billboard). I'll pay $2 a song, to get what I want.

My local movie house will never see me again. I already pay for HBO and Showtime. I'll wait the 6 months to a year before they release it.

We have the power, it's time to use it!

Gemologist
Premium Member
join:2001-11-15
USA

Gemologist to Stonedonkey

Premium Member

to Stonedonkey
Not too mention..If this bill gets passed..My whole lifelong experience and college education are pretty much trashed..Won't be much of a need for experienced web designers, techs, or hardware experts!!! If they pass this sh*# web designing will be stuck with crap a 2 year old could do!! No more multimedia rich sites, etc! This Bill would do the same to honest people as banning guns would!! The people doing it will still find a way to have them or do it..only the honest people will be affected! The big problem is that Computer manufacturers like Gateway, Dell, HP, Compaq will support this bill (most likely)..they stand to gain too much $$$ by supporting it!! No more custom built computers..so the OEM ppl will be able to charge whatever they want for their POS machines! I love this country..but they are wearing everything a little thin; and if they pass this BFS Bill my rear end will be moving to another country in a heartbeat! I honestly think that piracy wouldn't happen as much as it does if the Government just regulated the price of the products!!! Example: 2 people to the movies, a large popcorn, and a large soda=$30..BFS..what a rip..just for one example! That's why I wait till the movie stores have them for rent instead of going to the movies now!! They are acting like a bunch or mommy and daddy's spoiled little brats over this whole thing...and need to grow the f@#$ up!! SOrry for going off on a rant! Just my 2 cents worth!

redxii
Mod
join:2001-02-26
Michigan

redxii to Stonedonkey

Mod

to Stonedonkey
62339 Signatures Total.

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77 to Stonedonkey

Premium Member

to Stonedonkey
Make that 62344 now.

CyberSchnook$
C B D T P A Outlaw
Premium Member
join:2001-12-31
Terra Firma

CyberSchnook$ to Stonedonkey

Premium Member

to Stonedonkey
Beat the rush--lock me up now!

'scuse me if I don't post for a bit--I'm pouring a concrete bunker with razor wire.

Just proves that Disney went to shit since Walt died, especially with that a-hole Eisner.
CyberSchnook$

CyberSchnook$ to Stonedonkey

Premium Member

to Stonedonkey

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to Stonedonkey

MVM

to Stonedonkey
I just signed up!

You know the truly scary thing is not just this bill but rather the fact that any power junky on the hill hopped up on tobacco and alcohol can hatch such a scheme at will.

Our rights are constantly under attack.

N10Z13
surfer57
Premium Member
join:2001-01-18
Maylene, AL

N10Z13 to Stonedonkey

Premium Member

to Stonedonkey
I just finished reading the articles etc....I am speechless:o...(but just for a moment)....It appears that it is aimed at those that would copy and commit theft for profit....so that is a justification for placing "policeware" on everyone's computer. Is that saying that anyone including me is suspect because I own a computer?....hmmmmmmm...I thought we had other more pressing problems such as poverty, illiteracy, terrorism, education, crime, health care to name a few.......my take is why doesn't those that are so paranoid about copyright learn how to protect their products with copy proof mediums etc...rather than making anyone that owns a computer a potential criminal that has to be policed, police yourselves you clueless wonders..

the gov't trying to regulate the use of computers,hmmmmmmmmm....:Dhehhehehehehehehhehehehehehhehehehehhehehehhehehehhehehe....L MAO X infinity....and by the way, does this mean I will have to pay to use my radio that plays copyrighted materials and places it on the airwaves....I could go on, but I think not.....:)