spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Craiger

join:2012-07-05
Chesterfield, MO

Is Charter's Four Room $20.00 DVR Ad Deceptive?

I don't have Charter but I saw they are advertising for their four room DVR system at $20.00 a month. Don't they have a $5 set-top box fee also? So if you got four DVR's, I assume they are HD DVR's wouldn't that actually be $40.00 a month for four DVR's? What if you only wanted one or two HD DVR's?

DadCooks
Premium
join:2005-02-28
Kennewick, WA

The mention of an equipment charge flashes on the bottom of the screen so it meets the Federal Requirements. But common sense says that the Federal Requirements should aid the consumer, not allow the provider to hide significant information.
--
DadCooks
(aka Eric)

msmisfit

join:2004-09-13
Lawrenceville, GA
kudos:2
reply to Craiger

Haven't seen the ad, but it must be misleading, because you are right each box is $5, plus there's a $20 fee that covers the first 4 boxes which is for the features/maintenance, etc. of those boxes.

So that theoretical person who might want only two boxes would pay $30.00 month; or $25.00 for one. At least that is how I understood everything I've read so far.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to Craiger

No it's NOT misleading. ALL boxes are $5 a month. So if you had a SD or HD box and you wanted to move up to a DVR you're not paying extra for any boxes. You're paying $20 for the DVR service.

By the way under the old pricing 4 DVRs were $60 a month not $40( including the cost of the box rental ). 3 DVRs were $45 now are $35, 2 DVRs were $30 still are $30.

Expand your moderator at work

Shad0wlore
Premium
join:2004-06-15
USA
Reviews:
·AT&T (Business S..
·Charter
reply to 88615298

Re: Is Charter's Four Room $20.00 DVR Ad Deceptive?

I'd have to respectfully disagree, BF69... The ads are worded as though you get up to 4 DVRs for ONLY $20. Only once you get into the fine print does it indicate that it's $20 for the 'service' and there's another $5 per box tacked on.

Now see, if the user could bring their own DVR's to the mix, then I'd say it's not deceptive... However, since Charter is making customers use their equipment, it *IS* deceptive.

To be honest, I don't have a problem with the new pricing.. but they really should be more forthcoming with the additional fees. (paragraphs of fine print that are up for 2 seconds are hardly forthcoming).

I only side with it this way, because my elderly parents actually saw it and thought it was an amazing deal.. until they started reading the fine print.. that $20 is now $40 for their 4 TVs.

Craiger

Chesterfield, MO

I think it would be neat if Charter would let you use the PS3 and 360 and the PS4 and 720 when those come out. However they use ethernet and no cable card. Charter would probably have to switch to Video Over Docsis for that to happen. Or the next game generation gaming consoles to have cable card built into them.

mmainprize

join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI

Craiger, you can use a cable card and one of these »www.silicondust.com/products/hdh···n/prime/
with your X-box or PC near you TV

Premium
West Tenness
reply to Shad0wlore

said by Shad0wlore:

I'd have to respectfully disagree, BF69... The ads are worded as though you get up to 4 DVRs for ONLY $20. Only once you get into the fine print does it indicate that it's $20 for the 'service' and there's another $5 per box tacked on.

Once again YOU are wrong. Ok so I have 4 HD boxes no DVRs I pay $20 a month you expect to get 4 DVRS and the service for the SAME price? Does that make sense or sound fair?

Anyways in order to get DVR service you have to have digital cable. Digital cable requires a box. ALL boxes are $5. So since one must pay $5 per box REGARDLESS if they have DVR service or not you are NOT getting charged extra for the boxes.

Let's do simple math.

4 HD boxes = $20 a month

4 DVRs = $20 a month; DVR service = $20 a month. total = $40.

Cost differential between having DVRs and not having DVRs = $20. So when Charter states DVR service for $20 how are they wrong?

Premium
West Tenness
reply to Shad0wlore

said by Shad0wlore:

I only side with it this way, because my elderly parents actually saw it and thought it was an amazing deal.. until they started reading the fine print.. that $20 is now $40 for their 4 TVs.

It's not $40 since they are already paying for the boxes on the 4 TVs. They are swapping out the boxes for DVRs AT THE SAMNE PRICE.

Craiger

Chesterfield, MO
reply to mmainprize

I was wanting Charter to let a customter use the lastest video game consoles as a standalone HD DVR and it wouldn't need to be connected to a PC.

Craiger

Chesterfield, MO
reply to 88615298

People wouldn't see the fine print on the bottom and would expect $20.00 covers all four DVR's in the house at $5 per DVR. One way to do it would be to change the ad and say its a $20 DVR Service Fee and the DVR boxes are $5 extra. If Charter said that on the ad I wonder how many people would think that would be too expensive and not go for that plan?

Or do something like $10 DVR Fee and $5 Box Fee, if Charter would still want to charge a DVR Fee.

Premium
West Tenness

said by Craiger:

People wouldn't see the fine print on the bottom and would expect $20.00 covers all four DVR's in the house at $5 per DVR. One way to do it would be to change the ad and say its a $20 DVR Service Fee and the DVR boxes are $5 extra.

The boxes are NOT extra. If you already have 4 boxes you are just swapping them out for DVRs. The price on the boxes is the same.

Once again I'm not sure how someone logically thinks they can get 4 DVRs and the DVR service for the SAME price as people are paying for non-DVRs and no DVR service.

By the way price DVR service form DirecTv. They charge $20 for DVR service and $6 per box. AND they charge $500 fee for the boxes on top of it. So yeah Charter is screwing customers.

msmisfit

Lawrenceville, GA

I have one DVR and when my price changes... I will be paying $25, rather than $15.

Craiger

Chesterfield, MO
reply to 88615298

I have Directv I was just curious about Charter's DVR Ad. I like to keep up with what TV Service Providers are up to with their technology. Directv doesn't charge a $20 DVR Service its only $6 per month for both regular and HD DVR. DirecTV does charge a $10 HD Fee. Charter should maybe do something similar but keep their $5 per box fee.

Premium
West Tenness

said by Craiger:

Directv doesn't charge a $20 DVR Service

yes they do. I went though the whole ordering process. When you get to check out there is CLEARLY a $20 DVR service fee.

Premium
West Tenness
reply to msmisfit

said by msmisfit:

I have one DVR and when my price changes... I will be paying $25, rather than $15.

Do you have any other boxes? If not then yes a person with just ONE box will pay more. Everyone else will save.

msmisfit

Lawrenceville, GA

Just the one box....

Premium
West Tenness

said by msmisfit:

Just the one box....

Well with the reduction of the prices in programming maybe it will even out for you.

crohakon1

@charter.com
reply to Shad0wlore

said by Shad0wlore:

Now see, if the user could bring their own DVR's to the mix, then I'd say it's not deceptive... However, since Charter is making customers use their equipment, it *IS* deceptive.

To be honest, I don't have a problem with the new pricing.. but they really should be more forthcoming with the additional fees. (paragraphs of fine print that are up for 2 seconds are hardly forthcoming).

It still is a really good deal compared to the old pricing and most other companies.

Old pricing; Note, DVR in old pricing was 5.00 (Digital Box) + 15.00 (DVR Upgrade) so the first box was 15.00 as the 5.00 Digital Box was included in the Digital Home package.

15 + 20 + 20 + 20 = 75

New pricing

19.99 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 = 34.99

Most companies charge 20.00 per DVR.

Craiger

Chesterfield, MO
reply to Craiger

I guess one way to look at the $20 DVR fee as Charter combing an HD fee and DVR fee into one since other TV providers charge a $10 HD fee. Even they don't charge an HD fee.

Premium
West Tenness

said by Craiger:

I guess one way to look at the $20 DVR fee as Charter combing an HD fee and DVR fee into one since other TV providers charge a $10 HD fee. Even they don't charge an HD fee.

But that's not what they are doing since you can get HD without having a DVR. HD is 100% free.

BlakePaulson

join:2008-08-06
Alexandria, MN
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Charter
reply to 88615298

said by 88615298:

said by Craiger:

yes they do. I went though the whole ordering process. When you get to check out there is CLEARLY a $20 DVR service fee.

You're wrong. I have directv. I wouldn't use charters tv service or dvr's if you paid me to have them. Horrible on screen guides (what is this, 1995?) and small hard drives.

Premium
West Tenness

said by BlakePaulson:

said by 88615298:

said by Craiger:

You're wrong. I have directv. I wouldn't use charters tv service or dvr's if you paid me to have them. Horrible on screen guides (what is this, 1995?) and small hard drives.

I am NOT wrong. here you go from the checkout

Fees
Advanced Receiver Service $20.00

from directv website

What is Advanced Receiver Service?
Advanced Receiver Service gives customers with an HD DVR receiver access to all of the cutting-edge features available from DIRECTV, including:

Whole-Home DVR: The ability to record and watch shows in any room, with one HD DVR. (HD receiver required for each additional TV.)
Access to HD programming
Over 7,000 shows and movies On Demand, at no extra charge
Live TV on your iPad®
The new HD On-Screen Guide
Pandora Internet radio and YouTube on your TV
Facebook and Twitter connection to share your favorite shows
Advanced Receiver Service costs $20/month and is required for new customers who get the HD DVR, Home Media Center HD DVR, or the TiVo HD DVR. There's only one monthly service fee no matter how many receivers you have on your account. New customers who enroll in Auto Bill Pay may be eligible for a $10 monthly credit on Advanced Receiver Service for the first 24 months of their DIRECTV service.

Please note: The TiVo HD DVR does not offer Whole-Home DVR functionality.

Also I may add that they charge $99 for the 2nd DVR and $199 each for the 3rd and 4th DVRs. That's $497 if you had 4 DVRs.

Craiger

Chesterfield, MO

I guess Directv's $20 Advanced Receiver Fee is not shown on the bill as a separate charge its included with monthly fee. I don't think I have ever seen that fee on the bill.

The one advantage to buying DTV's receivers and DVR's if you buy them online and not through DTV is that you can get the latest ones. With Charter you might not get the latest HD DVR or Receiver.

Premium
West Tenness

said by Craiger:

I guess Directv's $20 Advanced Receiver Fee is not shown on the bill as a separate charge its included with monthly fee. I don't think I have ever seen that fee on the bill.

The website states it's for new customers so maybe you don't get charged being a long time customer. The fact is it would apply to someone like me if I ever went the DirecTv route. So the fee is the same for both but Charter's boxes are cheaper.

Shad0wlore
Premium
join:2004-06-15
USA
Reviews:
·AT&T (Business S..
·Charter

1 edit
reply to 88615298

"Once again" *I* am wrong?? I've never quoted you or commented to anything on you.. so please take the personal attack elsewhere.

Going to clarify here.. for a new subscriber, they will see "$20 for Up to 4 DVRS!!"... no way are they going to see the quick subtext in a 2pt font at the bottom of a screen for a half a second that reads: "plus an additional $5 per box".

Not everyone stays up on the whole cost of equipment nowadays, and with many companies taking a loss on equipment to get subscribers, it's not unheard of to think a cable co might make a simple $20 for 4 DVRs...

Regardless of how someone may argue this, one way or another, it's all a matter of personal opinion. My claiming something is deceptive to me, is not necessarily something you may think is deceptive.

The OP wanted opinions, and telling someone they're wrong for their opinion is rather immature.

Hence why I openly said I respectfully disagree with your opinion.. I didn't come out and say 'NO!!! YOU'RE WRONG!!'.. it's your opinion and you're entitled to it. Just as the rest of us are entitled to ours as well.

Craiger

Chesterfield, MO
reply to Craiger

Just curious does Uverse charge a $20 DVR Fee?

ptgmacman

join:2001-12-09
Fenton, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
·FreelyCall

It depends on the package and what promotions are in your area at the time. When I signed up with U-Family package got whole house dvr and two additional "receivers" for a total of 3 for a total of $57 which includes ~120 stations or so. I think now ATT is $7 per additional receiver and in any case would charge a $10 HD fee.