spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jellisii

@windstream.net

[Troubles] Big latency and slow speeds in North Florida

Over the past couple of weeks, we've been getting abysmal service. Latest speed test (231674) gives an indication of 1.24Mbps and pinging speedtest.windstream.net returns an average of nearly 400 ms on GOOD tests. Last one I just ran gave me nearly a second over the 4 packets.

Contact with support via online chat only gets "We're performing upgrades in your area, and will have latency due to that", which increasingly sounds like a boilerplate answer that passes muster with some focus group.

Is there any more information I can get so at least I know it's not just a blow-off answer?

wheelbarrow

join:2010-01-06
USA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Windstream

You might be able to find out a little more in the Windstream Direct forum if you post your phone number there.

Other than that, I wouldn't count on anything. Like I told someone earlier, the main problem with Windstream is that the company in general is all about impressing investors with their profits, rather than actually keeping customers happy - ie. a network that actually performs well.

Windstream has little incentive to upgrade equipment in areas with little competition.

If you have another option for an ISP, my suggestion would be to move to it.

jellisii

join:2012-08-15
High Springs, FL
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to jellisii

Support is no longer saying "upgrades", but that "there doesn't appear to be a problem". To say that I'm disappointed would be an understatement.

Edit: Latest speed test:

jellisii

High Springs, FL
Reviews:
·Windstream

Support has changed their tune to "Estimated repair of 2012-12-31". I would like to believe this, but it smacks of a bit too convenience of a date.

Latest speed test:

JimmyGator

join:2010-11-09
Melrose, FL
reply to jellisii

Where in north Florida? I'm near Melrose/Keystone Heights and the evening speeds suck!

JimmyGator

join:2010-11-09
Melrose, FL

Over utilization in the area:

jellisii

High Springs, FL

Outside of high springs.

jellisii

High Springs, FL
Reviews:
·Windstream

Despite promises, I'm still having issues. I have re-posted in the direct forum in hopes that I can get some resolution.

jellisii

High Springs, FL
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to jellisii

Bandwidth still problematic. Latest:

There seems to be some sort of disconnect between those who have to do the customer contact, and those who actually have to try and fix the problem. I suspect this is true with most, if not all, technically oriented organizations. I'm not certain how that gets resolved in a fashion that's acceptable to both sides.

Does anyone tracking this know if there a cellular data plan that I can use for my house? I think there's a Sprint tower near where I'm at...

jtesh69

join:2010-08-27

1 edit

Live just outside of Live Oak been fighting with them for over 4 years to fix our issues. They changed the date I had for August 2013 to sometime 2015 from a Field Tech I stopped and talked with. Only good thing is I happen to get a contacted an investigator with the FCC last night that had me send him my connection logs and data. So Today at work I sent him a few hundred Gigs of screenshots of speed test and line test along with emails from the CEO, the network engineering head, and other techs with repair dates that were never met. They tell me this is a normal connection at this point.

edit: Added link to latest Line Quality test
»/testhistory/1755504/eebab

Piggie
I Actually use Windstream
Premium
join:2005-11-23
Orange Springs, FL
Reviews:
·Windstream
·HughesNet Satell..

I wondered if others from Florida were here. I am in Orange Springs, south of Melrose by 20 miles about. It's horrible here. But you know, since 2008 this town has lost population. I have lived here 15 years and there are more empty houses than I have ever seen. About every 3rd house in town is now empty. Bad mortgages just like other places. But my point is we aren't growing! What I just read in this thread nearly confirms my theory, that ALL OF FL is OVERLOADED!! It's not just who is on another PIN at your DSLAM, but the bandwidth for the ENTIRE STATE!.

They are either too cheap to buy enough total bandwidth or they are going broke. So all the stimulus money might have been wasted. Bodybagger says he is switched over to the new system and it's just as bad. So are they rolling out new DSLAMs but no bandwidth to feed them? That is the conclusion I am starting to draw.
--
| Speedstream 4200 Modem - 3m/384 plan | W98-W2KSP4-XPSP2 - All AMD | Buffalo WHR G54S with Tomato 1.18 | 3 downstream switches feeding 6 total clients (no wireless) | Including the Data port on the side of my neck |

Piggie
I Actually use Windstream
Premium
join:2005-11-23
Orange Springs, FL

Smoking in the boys room, NOT.....
This is 10:20 pm.

Faster than 95% of the US??? A+ ???? Hello radio!

jtesh69

reply to jellisii

Here is my speed today at 6:10 pm.

jellisii

High Springs, FL
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to jellisii

Yep, still broken:

jtesh69

reply to jellisii

Well had to call and get the field tech out to my place Tuesday due to dropping synch and then it taking 20 minutes for the modem to re-synch. When I talked to teir1 and the field tech I found out that one of the Teir2 Tech by the name of Tony B had gone through and closed all the tickets in my area including the request for new equipment. So as of Tuesday the field tech had to resubmit the request with the test results showing the equipment could not handle the load and asking for new equipment to the central office, meaning back to square one after 55 months. While talking to him He told me the remote on the other side of me offers up to 12 meg was at 40% utilization the one south 2 miles is the same way also. The CO which is less than 3 miles away the residents get 24Meg and no over utilization issues there. But the Unit I am on is at 196% utilization. They also had to backhaul to including dial up so even the customers using any dial up connection are limited to 24.6bps. Then he said they just ran a fiber and new unit to the far end of the county and they will get 24Meg once turned up and it serves get this 4 people. Yet the Remote is 2.65 miles or 13992 feet from the CO and I am less than 5100ft from the remote, and Windstream refuses to upgrade the equipment.

jellisii

High Springs, FL
Reviews:
·Windstream

Ugh. Sympathies.