share rss forum feed

LilYoda
Feline with squirel personality disorder
Premium
join:2004-09-02
Mountains

[Help] Image stacking tips

Hello everyone

Do you know if there is some image stacking software that would be able to detect the rotation between each image?

I'm interested in trying out stacked images for my astronomy picture, but I don't have a tracking tripod and don't have the time so far to build my own motorized scotch mount

I tried googling it, but there is so much software and links when I type astronomy stacking that I'm a bit puzzled as to which software to try out.

I'm using MacOS at home, but my work computer is WinXP so I can try on both

Thanks in advance for any bit of info you might share.
--
«Going on vacation with your wife is like going to the restaurant with your sandwich.»
Fréderic Deville

richdelb
Go Hawks Go
Premium
join:2003-01-22
Algonquin, IL

1 recommendation

I don't have a lot of experience using it, but "Registack" might be what you are looking for. (And it's free)

»www.astronomie.be/registax/

Premium
join:2005-03-29
kudos:3

2 recommendations

reply to LilYoda

You can try this for 30 days free: »www.aurigaimaging.com/.

rcroning
D700 Rocks
Premium
join:2005-05-21
Winnipeg, MB
reply to LilYoda

Richdelb has it right. Most people in my astronomy club use Registax and it works great. »www.astronomie.be/registax/

DeepSkyStacker is free and does it well too »deepskystacker.free.fr/english/index.html

Astrostax is another but it costs about $40.
»www.astrostack.com/

Then there's IRIS »www.astrosurf.com/buil/us/iris/iris.htm

LilYoda
Feline with squirel personality disorder
Premium
join:2004-09-02
Mountains

Thanks guys. I'm trying to use Registax but the learning curve is haaaard

In the meantime I tried using my HDR software. I have to get rid of static points like mountains, etc... otherwise the alignment doesn't work.

But I'm not too unhappy about the results so far.

NIKON D90
16mm 20s F3.5 ISO1600

--
«Going on vacation with your wife is like going to the restaurant with your sandwich.»
Fréderic Deville

rcroning
D700 Rocks
Premium
join:2005-05-21
Winnipeg, MB
reply to LilYoda

Based on you photo I'd say you are heading in the right direction.

Registax is a bit difficult to learn but once mastered you will find it to be quite a nice program.

TheHarvester
Premium
join:2006-08-25
Dana Point, CA
kudos:3

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to LilYoda

Stacking images with both celestial and terrestrial objects is tough since one moves and the other doesn't.
When I used the free programs, I preferred Deep Sky Stacker. I now use a programs called Maxim DL and Nebulosity for acquiring and stacking my images. I feel registax works better for planetary image stacking.

Not as cheap as a Barn Door Tracker but for $399.00 this mount would be great for wide field photography.

(EDIT) What, you want a link to the mount also?
»www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?pid=278-17967
--
mbsastronomy.com