spc
Search similar:

uniqs
WaitinginNH
join:2006-09-14
Westbury, NY

WaitinginNH

Verizon's Fios 1 News is a joke

Been a Verizon Fios customer for over 2 years. And I've never had any major problems and have been generally pleased with the service, with one major exception. The Fios 1 local news is absolutely pitiful. Today confirmed just how much Fios 1 news stinks. Huge storms with widespread flooding and wind damage across central Nassau, many huge trees uprooted. The storms hit around 11am, no warning from Fios 1, and then no reporting on it at all throughout the afternoon. Tonight I'd think for sure they'd have the storms as a top story but nope! Assuming the studio is still in Westchester, I guess RNN (the producers of Fios 1 news) were too cheap to send a news crew out here. Considering that Fios now has a good base here on LI you'd think the folks at Verizon would invest in a decent news station, even the cheapskates at Cablevision have a decent local news station (News 12). I now have to depend on the NYC stations, even which all lead with the storm damage, including WLNY. Over in Williston Park many trees down, saw news vans from NBC, CBS, News 12, et al, but Verizon never showed up (do they even have a news van). Well I know I cant count on Verizon for news. Fortunately for them, I still loathe Cablevision enough not to switch back. But I know folks who won't leave cable because they won't give up News 12, how can I blame them? Sure Fios has more channels, a better picture, and is generally more reliable, but if you depend on a Long Island based news, it may not be worth it. A friend of mine who runs a retail business switched back to Cablevision, after customers complained about the lack of News 12 on the TV while they wait for their food. If Verizon wants to win over more LI'ers, they better step up their game with news!
McBane
join:2008-08-22
Wylie, TX

McBane

Heh, Verizon has their own news channel? I never knew...

icemannyr1
join:2001-04-11
Township Of Washington, NJ

icemannyr1

It's the exact same thing for FiOS1 News NJ.
They use the same studio for the NJ and Long Island newscasts so unless they combine the news for both areas there is never going to be a live news cast on FiOS1.
There are no news vans.
If they do a live report in a taped news cast they use mobile broadband to transmit the video back to the RNN studio.

MagicalPig
join:2008-07-25

MagicalPig to WaitinginNH

to WaitinginNH
Yeah FiOS1 is a joke. Was there any agreement by VZ when they got the statewide franchise in NJ to provide a news channel and if so what were those terms? I would love to see a comprehensive dedicated news channel like News12 (which is great in the background) or NY1 (only seen it a few times and enjoyed it) But as it is VZ has no need or desire to drop cash to "make it so" (said in my Picard voice) as I go "number one" on my VZ bill.
chitchatjf
join:2008-07-13
Lawrence, MA

chitchatjf to WaitinginNH

to WaitinginNH
In Boston we just get Comcast's NECN.
I know that for at lease one person having NECN and the PEG channels was a major factor for him switching (like me he has the triple play with ALL the movie channels)
WaitinginNH
Westbury, NY

WaitinginNH to icemannyr1

to icemannyr1
So how come Cablevision can have seperate studios and news vans for it's regions (News 12 LI, News 12 NJ, et al) but not Verizon? Verizon needs to realize that this may be hurting their sub numbers, and do something. If Cable companies have the money for this, surely Verizon which has much more in wealth than the Dolans, can afford to..

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom

said by WaitinginNH:

So how come Cablevision can have seperate studios and news vans for it's regions (News 12 LI, News 12 NJ, et al) but not Verizon?

Probably because the 95% rest of us could care less about local Fios news.....

icemannyr1

icemannyr1 to WaitinginNH

to WaitinginNH
The simple answer is FiOS did not want to put much money into FiOS1 news.
Going with RNN who's TV channel only broadcasts one show which ironically is simulcast on FiOS1 news and has a studio was a cheaper way then building a studio.
PhysicsGuy
join:2005-01-02
Nesconset, NY

1 edit

PhysicsGuy to bohratom

to bohratom
said by bohratom:

Probably because the 95% rest of us could care less about local Fios news.....

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

Haha, thank you for that. My wife always says I could care less and I tell her it's "couldn't" Now I can show her this.

Teasip
join:2001-05-14
Plano, TX

Teasip

And I as well. Couldn't, couldn't, couldn't, care less; or maybe I could care MORE?
Cablefish
join:2002-01-19
Toms River, NJ

Cablefish to WaitinginNH

to WaitinginNH
Guessing there isn't much sense in making a fuss over it. Channel 1 does not exist in VH07. I was interested in seeing what they had to offer.
dmine45
join:2002-11-03
Fredericksburg, VA

dmine45 to WaitinginNH

to WaitinginNH
In VHO 4 (DC Metro), FiOS 1 either plays stupid videos (as if it were a public access channel) or is the overflow channel for one of the local sports channels (MASN - Mid-Atlantic Sports Network). When one local baseball team (Washington Nationals or Baltimore Orioles) is on MASN and both teams are playing - the other team is on FiOS 1.

bohratom
Red Bank NJ

bohratom to Cablefish

to Cablefish
said by Cablefish:

Channel 1 does not exist in VH07. I was interested in seeing what they had to offer.

Im in VHO7 and I have FIOS1 on channels 1 and 501 (not HD).
WaitinginNH
Westbury, NY

WaitinginNH to icemannyr1

to icemannyr1
Thing is they promote Fios 1 as "Long Island's Freshest News" on various billboards. Either way Cablevision is still worse, with yet another channel blackout, this time WPIX, which should send new subs over to VZ.
Cablefish
Toms River, NJ

Cablefish to bohratom

to bohratom
Hmph. I punch in manually channel 1, and it takes me to 1952. If I manually go to 501, it takes me to 499. No idea why it doesn't work in our VH07.

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

said by Cablefish:

Hmph. I punch in manually channel 1, and it takes me to 1952. If I manually go to 501, it takes me to 499. No idea why it doesn't work in our VH07.

I think only parts of northern NJ gets it, closer to the city. You're too far south.
bsangs
join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ

bsangs to WaitinginNH

to WaitinginNH
...in yo town...

bohratom
Red Bank NJ

bohratom to matcarl

to matcarl
said by matcarl:

I think only parts of northern NJ gets it, closer to the city. You're too far south.

That could be true but I always thought everyone in the same VHO get the same programming?
bohratom

bohratom to Cablefish

to Cablefish
said by Cablefish:

Do you have favorites enabled? We are both in same VHO so my understanding is we get the same programming.
Cablefish
Toms River, NJ

Cablefish

Yep. Fav's 1 + 2 I have channels in. I also tried to add FIOS 1 to the list. Not an option. Starts at channel 2. No big deal. We just don't get it.
Duckbacker
join:2005-06-16
Nesconset, NY

Duckbacker to WaitinginNH

to WaitinginNH
I think it's the only channel with lower ratings than MSNBC.

MeatChicken
join:2007-08-15
Paramus, NJ

MeatChicken

said by Duckbacker:

I think it's the only channel with lower ratings than MSNBC.

Live + Same Day Cable News Daily Ratings for August 21, 2012:

Primetime

P2+ (000s) . . . .l 25-54 (000s) . . . .35-64 (000s)

FNC . . . . . 1,272 . . . . . . . 299 . . . . . . . . . . . 524
MSNBC . . . . 539 . . . . . . . . 166 . . . . . . . . . . . 247
CNN . . . . . . 378 . . . . . . . . . 109 . . . . . . . . . . 163
HLN . . . . . . 190 . . . . . . ,. . 73 . . . . . . . . . . . 111
CNBC . . . . . . 150 . . . . . . . . .42 . . . . . . . . . . . . . 77
FBN . . . . . . . 48 . . . . . . . . . 14 . . . . . . . . . . . . 27

Only Fox news channel regularly beats MSNBC, MSNBC generally beats CNN, HLN, CNBC & FBN most of the time.
Fox business network is by far the lowest of all rated cable news stations.

icemannyr1

icemannyr1 to WaitinginNH

to WaitinginNH
What people have wanted is slowly happening.
FiOS1 has started a new live news cast called The Recap.

"The Recap is a one-hour program that will be simulcast in both Long Island and New Jersey, Monday through Friday at 5 p.m. This show, hosted by Emmy Award-winner Megan Vega and veteran anchor Mike Stevens, will provide viewers with all of the critical news impacting New York and New Jersey each day. The program focuses on the top local stories from both areas but also provides a regional and national flavor as well. Meteorologist John Heyman provides accurate and up-to-the-minute weather forecasts and sports anchor Rich Barrabi has all of your favorite teams covered."