Ian
Premium
join:2002-06-18
ON
kudos:3
reply to chrisretusn

Re: [FireFox] The Den: A handy 'Tips & Tricks' place for Firefo

said by chrisretusn:

Good tips. I don't agree on the changing every three months or so; that is a bit much. A strong and long password should last a long, long time.

I disagree with some of their other password advice...

" Now, associate it with each website you log in to. For example, you could use YT for YouTube, FB for Facebook, your bank’s initials — you get the point. So your password would now look like this:

YTTqbfjotld! (for YouTube)
FBTqbfjotld! (for Facebook)
and so on, and so on…"

The theory behind changing you password every so often is that if a site's password hash database is compromised somehow, your password could be uncovered by brute force, rainbow tables, or a simple online hash matching tool.

If that does indeed happen, you picking "YT" for youtube, and FB for facebook doesn't suddenly make the password secure on the other site. It wouldn't take a genius to uncover that such a scheme were being used. A cracker would undoubtedly be trying "BA" for Bank of America, and so on....
--
“Any claim that the root of a problem is simple should be treated the same as a claim that the root of a problem is Bigfoot. Simplicity and Bigfoot are found in the real world with about the same frequency.” – David Wong

chachazz
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:9
Reviews:
·TELUS

Have to agree that those are not very good examples. Too short and mostly the same..tsk, tisk.

Everyone should get a good password manager and have individual and very different and long passwords for each site.

If using password storage/service in the cloud, the safest solution is when your data is encrypted before it leaves your machine.
--
Gladiator Security Forum: www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

chachazz
Premium
Reviews:
·TELUS

August 14, 2012 - Firefox tip:

3 Tips for Using Email Securely
--

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
join:2007-08-13
Philippines
kudos:1
Reviews:
·PLDT
·Comcast
reply to Ian

I noticed that too and agree. That said, it better than nothing or something out of the dictionary. I use long random made password if a site allows it. I would be screwed with out my password manager; of which I have multiple backups just in case. I do keep a few in memory. These are pass phrases, easy for me, but not for others.
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
Philippines
Reviews:
·PLDT
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to chachazz

That's a decent tip, except it assumes one would be using Firefox to do email. There are a few of use who do not. My weapon of choice is Claws Mail. Of course it is a Firefox tip.
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

chachazz
Premium
Reviews:
·TELUS

August 16, 2012 - Firefox tip:

Search for Text Shortcut

--

chachazz
Premium
Reviews:
·TELUS

August 20, 2012 - Firefox Tip:

5 Ways to Pump Up Your Productivity with Firefox

--

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
Philippines
Reviews:
·PLDT
·Comcast

Another good tip, one I did not know. Pretty cool.

Firefox Tip – Bookmark Search Shortcut | The Den
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!