how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jodhak

@rga.com

beIn Sport 1 & 2 (new soccer channels)

Hey soccer fans,

beIn Sport 1 & 2 is taking over all european soccer except for the English Premier League games.

La Liga, Serie A, Ligue 1, nPower Championship, etc...

is FiOS going to carry these channels?!?!?

leagues kickoff this weekend.

Are they going to be in HD?

GolTV I assume has lost just about all soccer coverage except for South American league soccer. So I assume we will not be getting that channel in HD.

Any insight thanks!

Greg2600

join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ
do not hold your breath.

Strommy

join:2010-04-23
King Of Prussia, PA
reply to jodhak
Do I think they'll eventually carry these channels, yes, will it be anytime soon, not a chance.

dimi1963

join:2001-12-27
Union, NJ
reply to jodhak
This was one of their tweets few hours ago, we'll find out soon if FIOS will carry them.

»twitter.com/beINSport1USA/status···40425472

beINSport1þ@beINSport1USA

@ppage7200 We are on Dish and DirecTV for now. New announcements will be made, however!

WhitherBein

@verizon.net
reply to Greg2600
said by Greg2600:

do not hold your breath.

Reports are that the deep-pocketed Quataris who own beIN Sports have given sweatheart deals for DirectTV and Dish to carry their channels. If they follow suit with the cable/telco providers, then there is a chance of a unprecedented quick add (usually reserved for the large multichannel companies like Fox and ESPN). The only question is whether they will offer a great deal only the carriers with the largest number of subscribers (i.e. Comcast, TWC, etc.) or make enticing offers to all providers.

I am told that Phil Shoen told viewers on today's Real Madrid-Valencia match that he apologizes that "you" (the satellite customers) probably have so many people on your couch to watch the game, but hopefully the situation will change in the next week of so.

Obviously, beIN is actively seeking more providers, but we will see how effective they are.

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ
reply to jodhak
Even with a sweetheart, I just don't see Verizon adding them in HD. It's not the Premier League, not the MLS. The ratings are miniscule.

dimi1963

Union, NJ
Don't forget that we are talking about the Spanish League, perhaps Serie A may not have a lot of followers here in the US, but the La Liga have a large following. South Americans, Spaniards, and Portuguese to name a few, and now that the channel has the Npower League and the Carling Cup from England, and the US qualifier games, I wouldn't be surprised if they add the channels soon and in HD. Basically they have more than FSC, GolTv and ESPN Deportes.

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ
reply to jodhak
»sports.yahoo.com/news/la-liga-se···sow.html

Here's an excellent article on the beIN situation from Yahoo. The ratings won't even be measured by Nielsen they have so little carriage. In fact, many of the clubs are already questioning the Al Jazeera deal, that by taking more money over distribution, they've effectively killed momentum in the United States. Which I think is correct. This was an incredibly short sighted agreement.

Ironically GolTV is due to start airing more South American and Mexican games as a result, which may well increase their Latino viewership. If you examine the ratings on GolTV and FSC Yahoo gives, it's really minimal. Beyond the Real Madrid/Barca games, which I think ESPN Deportes will still air, the ratings are small. There's very little incentive for Verizon or other Cable Co's to act.

jodhak

@rga.com
ESPN Deportes can not and will not air the Barca/Real games.. beIN Sport has a spanish version along with 2 english version channels for US television.. After this season FOX's contract ends with premier league and champs league.. There will be a bidding war to acquire US television rights to english premier league and champs league.. Knowing the al jeezera network I assume they will outbid FOX/Espn no problem and then they will have almost all european football..

which means by time next year if other carriers don't have these channels a lot of people will be without the greatest sport in the world on american television..

hurry up FiOS and add these in HD!!

tennisman94

join:2010-02-18
Palm Harbor, FL
kudos:2
said by jodhak :

which means by time next year if other carriers don't have these channels a lot of people will be without the greatest sport in the world on american television..

...or wait till next year if/when it becomes at issue

Keano

join:2012-03-14
South Grafton, MA
reply to jodhak
Directv added beIn last Wednesday. It looks FANTASTIC!

From what I've been reading the Arabs are literally paying D* & Dish to carry beIn. If Verizon is getting that same sort of deal and does not add the channel they are even more pathetic then I ever could of imagined.

Keano

South Grafton, MA
reply to dimi1963
said by dimi1963:

Don't forget that we are talking about the Spanish League, perhaps Serie A may not have a lot of followers here in the US, but the La Liga have a large following.

Barca & Real have a large following. The other 18 clubs in La Liga, not so much.

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ
reply to jodhak
said by jodhak :

At which point, the European leagues would have screwed themselves over. This is ludicrous. So now providers like FIOS have to carry how many soccer networks??? I love soccer, but this is completely absurd. They went for the buck, so I hope Verizon doesn't add the channels and the leagues get egg on the face. The ratings simply do not justify carriage of all these soccer networks.

hdsports

join:2012-07-26
reply to Greg2600
said by Greg2600:

»sports.yahoo.com/news/la-liga-se···sow.html

.. Beyond the Real Madrid/Barca games, which I think ESPN Deportes will still air, the ratings are small.

beIN has rights to the entire La Liga schedule as well as all Copa Del Rey matches (excluding the final). You might have been confused because ESPN Deportes DOES have rights to the Spanish Supercopa (Barcelona v. Real Madrid). The two legs will be aired Thursday, Augist 23 and Wednesday August 29.

fan15

@199.107.43.x
reply to Greg2600
Greg, you're missing the point, and misunderstanding the facts about viewership. Or you just do not understand where soccer is currently broadcast and who watches it. To suggest that ratings for the MLS are a sufficient measure of interest is downright laughable. And since you clearly do not know, Real Madrid and Barcelona are the most heavily watched sports teams in the world, bar none. By the way, Deportes will not be carrying them -- so you're wrong again. On FIOS, there is a single network (FSC) in HD, and one in SD (Gol), which has been stripped of essentially all worthwhile product. FS-plus carries a few nonsense games a week and rugby. But FIOS has a ton of dedicated channels for other sports.

Reread the article you cite above. It does not even remotely suggest that the satellite channels won't be rated because of law viewership. It says that until carried by more channels (read cable providers), it won't be counted. That's all.

I'm not saying I disagree with your point about the world leagues cutting deals that seemingly kill momentum in the US. But to then stand behind that fact as a reason why Verizon should prevent viewers from watching the network with EXCLUSIVE coverage of the sport for the most popular leagues in the world is absurd.

If that is Verizon's tactic, they undoubtedly will lose many, many viewers -- and that is not a sound business decision.

crgauth

join:2004-05-18
Glen Burnie, MD
kudos:1
said by fan15 :

If that is Verizon's tactic, they undoubtedly will lose many, many viewers -- and that is not a sound business decision.

Unless more cable systems pick them up, only option is satellite. And I can't believe that Verizon would even notice the number of customers that would leave over this one family of channels.
I like sports (maybe not as much as some) but really wish that Verizon get back to adding the more popular channels that are carried by multiple carriers instead.

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ

1 edit
reply to jodhak
First of all, ESPN Deportes is carrying the Supercopa, which is what I meant. That drew high ratings last year for them. The regular La Liga games drew the ratings among Hispanics the article states. I DID READ THE ARTICLE and the ratings listed there are minute. 50K viewers? That's nobody. Fox Soccer's EPL games aren't much better. Again, when people screamed and basically forced FSC HD onto FIOS, the Verizon people publicly admitted that FSC had lower viewership compared to the other HD channels they wanted to air. Low viewership.

Furthermore, I can remember when NASCAR moved to FOX in 2001, because nobody had FX, and they started airing Cup races on FX. People were furious, but it took Comcast a couple years to add it, and FX races drew millions of viewers not tens of thousands.

TJM4

join:2008-04-26
Red Bank, NJ
reply to jodhak
Now comes word that all US road qualifiers for World Cup '14 wil air on beIn. »msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/worl···52443950

FIOS4cable

join:2009-05-08
NYC

2 edits
reply to jodhak
No Update from FIOS customer support.

donjuan2002

join:2002-10-06
Kearny, NJ
reply to jodhak

FIOS4cable

join:2009-05-08
NYC
Comcast is about to add the channel

blue_trooper

join:2007-04-17
Exton, PA
reply to TJM4
said by TJM4:

Now comes word that all US road qualifiers for World Cup '14 wil air on beIn.

As opposed to being mostly on Pay-per-view in the past.

Acct101
Premium
join:2011-09-20
Bensalem, PA
reply to jodhak
Why do we need more soccer channels? It's probably the seventh most popular sport in the US behind the big 4, golf and auto racing.

rantanamo

@verizon.net
Soccer fans are hilarious. Barca and RM may be the most watched teams(they aren't normally) but that's in the world. Verizon FiOS is a US carrier. They would get better viewership for the Pac 12 network, Comcast Sports HD, CBS Sports HD and Cartoon Network, yet soccer fans think their channels should come first.

For those that laugh at MLS ratings, they get better ratings in the US than those leagues, which is where FiOS is, in the US.

dimi1963

Union, NJ
said by rantanamo :

They would get better viewership for the Pac 12 network, Comcast Sports HD, CBS Sports HD and Cartoon Network, yet soccer fans think their channels should come first.

This is a topic for those, like me, who want the channel, so please don't bash us. Yes we are in the US but there are many of us who enjoy watching the most popular sport in the world on TV. So in other words "don't be hating" I, for one, don't care if they add CBS Sports or Cartoon Network but I don't go on that page and criticize the peopole that are asking for those channels. So please go easy on us Soccer Fans.

Thank you

donjuan2002

Kearny, NJ
reply to Acct101
Reason is simple, there is 5 top league in the world, this channel hast 3 by next year they will have the 5 leagues, Fox soccer and goltv will be out of luck, not you get why we want this channel,

donjuan2002

Kearny, NJ
Also BEIn bought the rights for the USA soccer team games, non will be on regular tv anymore.

Keano

South Grafton, MA
reply to jodhak
Suonds like TWC will be adding beIn.

Verizon is a pathetic, pathetic company.

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:3
How many people really care about this new channels? I don't, for one. Don't flame me -- I'm allowed my opinion last I checked.

julesism

join:2001-12-12
Little Rock, AR
reply to Keano
Curious as to where you heard/saw this. I have a TWC sub just for HD soccer.