share rss forum feed

b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?

join:2004-09-07
Bellingham, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..

1 recommendation

Another example why "The Cloud" is a bad idea.

Even worse a local accounting firm that fell hook line and sinker for cloud services was crippled for three days when Amazon's cloud went down.

They learned their lesson the hard way and have since abandoned all could based services.
--
Bellingham Scanner Kicks Ass! »bhamscanner.kicks-ass.org/

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23

Re: Another example why "The Cloud" is a bad idea.

said by b10010011:

Another example of why "The Cloud" is a bad idea.

This this this! In Slashdot terms: mod parent up.

Users should always have full ownership (thus full control) of their data, not some random online entity. This is why I advocate people do their own backups to media they themselves own and have physical control over.

That said, I should note I do not have a problem with services like rsync.net because the overall demographic is different and they're less of a "black box" than these weird online "cloud" or "cloud-esque" providers -- but I still would not use them for data which I consider extremely important or mission-critical.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
reply to b10010011

said by b10010011:

Even worse a local accounting firm that fell hook line and sinker for cloud services was crippled for three days when Amazon's cloud went down.

They learned their lesson the hard way and have since abandoned all could based services.

"Amazon's cloud went down" is an ignorant and blatant lie.
Amazon Web Services has more than 30 different and separate services. I can guarantee on the life of your children and parents that the whole Amazon "cloud" DID NOT go down.

Amazon Web Services provides all the tools necessary to create a highly available, redundant and secure infrastructure that can continue to function if there's an outage in a specific datacenter, availability zone, geographic region or a continent.

If somebody is using AWS and they experienced an outage, it's their own damm fault for not following best-practices in creating a reliable and redundant setup.

If some idiot jumped from a plane with a single parachute, no backup and died, do you blame the whole skydiving industry for the actions of that idiot even though everybody told him to pack a backup?
--
[Sig removed by Administrator: signature can not exceed 20GB]

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23

MxxCon See Profile, I am in full agreement that the likelihood of a highly diversified cloud service (like AWS) going completely offline -- that is to say, EVERY geographic region going down -- is pretty unlikely.

However, there have been a few documented cases of entire AWS geographic regions going down:

* 2012/03/15 -- EC2 east region -- reference
* 2012/03/26 -- Amazon EC2 -- reference

I haven't seen anything on the outages mailing list (I'm subscribed) about AWS issues since then. I'd have to check NANOG as well to see if there were reports there too.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

MxxCon

Brooklyn, NY
Yes, a region can go down, but again, AWS offers people all the tools necessary to create an infra that can survive a region failure. If they did not implement and such an outage was unacceptable to them, its their own fault.

And I doubt that "a local accounting firm" would be using a bare-bones EC2 anyway. It would be either S3 or some seller.
If it's a seller that had 3 day long outage, then again, don't blame Amazon or "cloud" for actions of one incompetent company!
--

AnonMe

@comcastbusiness.net
reply to MxxCon
If you were one of those Amazon customer's in the unfortunate geographic region who couldn't access any of your data, from your propective, "The Amazon Cloud was down."

b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?

join:2004-09-07
Bellingham, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..
reply to MxxCon
said by MxxCon:

"Amazon's cloud went down" is an ignorant and blatant lie.

Whatever...

The cloud service they were purchasing from Amazon was unavailable for three days.

Call it what you will but from this businesses perspective Amazon's cloud was down.
--
Bellingham Scanner Kicks Ass! »bhamscanner.kicks-ass.org/

MxxCon

Brooklyn, NY
reply to AnonMe
said by AnonMe :

If you were one of those Amazon customer's in the unfortunate geographic region who couldn't access any of your data, from your propective, "The Amazon Cloud was down."

Actually, I was one of those customers that got affected by east coast outage. We were not down because we had infra setup on the west coast and in Singapore. And "amazon cloud" was not down. Only a specific service was, EC2 and EBS.
--

AnonFTW

@rr.com
reply to koitsu
Any engineer worth his salt who is hosting with AWS would set up redundancy in two, very geographically redundant, regions.

The fact several high profile sites didn't and went down along with a single AWS region just proves they should invest more money into infrastructure talent.

There is nothing wrong with "the cloud" as long as your provider is half-way competent.

Disclaimer: I am a SaaS cloud engineer. We don't host with AWS and we have geographic redundancy via BGP.