share rss forum feed

metalunna

join:2003-06-16
Clifton, NJ
kudos:1

Center Channel Static/Popping on Some Channels

EDIT - SORRY FOR DUPLICATE POST, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO DELETE. - SORRY
Hello,
For the past few weeks I have noticed that I am getting static and popping noises from my center channel when viewing some channels with a Dolby Digital Audio track.

The static is really bad on the Cinemax HD channels, some HBO HD channels and last night I noticed it on AMC.

My first thought was that it was the receiver, but I am not getting it when viewing Movies with 5.1 tracks from another source (XBOX or DVD).

I changed the digital cable from the Box to the receiver and I have also tried to configure my receiver to "No Center Channel" at which point the static then comes over the Left and Right speakers. I have also used another center channel speaker - which also produced the static.

I have yet to try and swap boxes (pulling them out of the cabinet is a nasty job) and I don't have another receiver to test, so I figured I'd post here to see if anyone else was noticing this.

From what I can tell, my cable box signals are good and aside from the occasional pixelation (not even that bad), the audio and picture from the box is just fine. It just seems that certain channels have bad Center Audio tracks.

Example: I DVR'd "The Thing" the other day from one of the Cinemax HD channels, and during certain parts, the static made the movie unwatchable (it was a bad movie to begin with). I could rewind it to the same spot and the static would occur each time. To test, I loaded up the On Demand Version (although SD, it has a Dolby 5.1 Mix). The same parts that were consistently staticy were just fine on the ON demand version

Any thoughts or experiences.

jbelluccirx

join:2012-10-10
I have the same exact problem. I've been searching online for a resolution with no luck. Glad to hear I'm not alone with this issue. Have you had any luck?

Dliv

join:2010-03-29
Lutherville Timonium, MD
reply to metalunna
I've had the same problem also with HBO and Max. I played a Blu-ray to make sure it wasn't my receiver and got no static or popping...So it must be those two networks with the issue.

metalunna

Clifton, NJ
Unfortunately I'm still getting it. Is so bad on some of the hbo and max channels that I can't even watch it.

I tried another cable box..ran a new cable..changed the splitter. I even tried an old receiver. Btw..im using a toslink cale..swapped that too. Same thing in the same spots of the movie..loud scratching and popping.

I read somewhere to turn off dynamic audio..I had mine set to High..I made the change yesterday, and it's still there but it seems more muffled..or maybe I'm just crazy (actually, I know I am).

I haven't called Verizon on it because I don't want to go through all the same old steps and eventually wipe out my router and cable box settings. Everything else on my fios line works fine. I just have to live with not watching Die Hard 2 for the 300th time. I'm just going to make a huge assumption is coming in with the source.

Seeing that others have the Mae problem just makes my assumption more valid.

willieneal

join:2012-11-30
Land O Lakes, FL
reply to metalunna
I also get the popping, but only on the Wealth network.

After talking to tech support, I've replaced the coax cable, digital audio cable and had a new box sent to me. None of which fixed the problem.

I'll be calling support back again.

Tarheel72

join:2005-12-18
Plano, TX
Verizon response: change out every piece of hardware you own one at a time. This includes the electric plug and the power outlet. There is no way this could be software or signal related. The fact that a thousand other people have the same problem is just coincidence.
--
Go Heels!

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by Tarheel72:

Verizon response: change out every piece of hardware you own one at a time. This includes the electric plug and the power outlet. There is no way this could be software or signal related. The fact that a thousand other people have the same problem is just coincidence.

A thousand other people have this problem? Wow!

TweakerInWA
Optimus
Premium
join:2001-12-11
Syracuse, NY
said by PJL:

said by Tarheel72:

Probably more than that... To dismiss the issue because there aren't 1,000 posts ranting about it would be misguided. To assume everyone uses an AVR to watch movies via Cable/Sat/FiOS is outlandish.
Maybe every now and then a few of us turn on the HT system to watch a movie, that percentage out of the entire pool of subscribers is probably small, I would guess less than 10%.

So I would attribute the lack of complaing regarding this issue more to lack of exposure...Moreso than just dismissing it...--
Smoke'm if ya got'em !!!

PJL

Long Beach, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by TweakerInWA:

said by PJL:

said by Tarheel72:

Probably more than that... To dismiss the issue because there aren't 1,000 posts ranting about it would be misguided. To assume everyone uses an AVR to watch movies via Cable/Sat/FiOS is outlandish.
Maybe every now and then a few of us turn on the HT system to watch a movie, that percentage out of the entire pool of subscribers is probably small, I would guess less than 10%.

So I would attribute the lack of complaing regarding this issue more to lack of exposure...Moreso than just dismissing it...

So your metric of "a thousand people" is a guess.

TweakerInWA
Optimus
Premium
join:2001-12-11
Syracuse, NY
More like "Thousand's"...

Audio quality is sketchy (hit or miss) at best most of the time. Those of us (audiophiles) who have vested a decent amount of money into HT equipment and know what a soundtrack is suppose to sound like, are often disappointed to the quality of audio broadcast by most cable/dish providers. It is what it is... And yes I've experienced the problem mentioned in this thread, but I've just accepted it as being the norm for audio quality. I get every movie channel provided by Verizon, and would most certainly rather pop the movie into my Oppo- BDP93 before watching(listening) to it on cable or FiOS. But the wife has to have them, and she would be grouped into the 90% that don't even turn on the AVR or care what format the audio signal is in...
--
Smoke'm if ya got'em !!!

PJL

Long Beach, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by TweakerInWA:

More like "Thousand's"...

Not to be too repetitive, but your "thousands" is a guess. I was hoping there was a metric behind it so I could pass it on to my Verizon contact.

blue_trooper

join:2007-04-17
Exton, PA
reply to metalunna
I experience dropouts and popping on Fox Soccer all the time but I've never noticed it on any other channel. I always use an AVR in my main setup and my 2nd tv in the basement.

I've never noticed if the problem does or doesn't happen on our bedroom TV with which we only use the tv speakers, but I will check for it.

Dliv

join:2010-03-29
Lutherville Timonium, MD
Fox Soccer has always had audio issues,we've been waiting for over a year to get that one resolved. I think most of us are experiencing the problem on HBO/MAX when listening on our HT systems.The sound can be harsh during scenes with explosions or gun battles when played at higher volumes. It may be a HBO/MAX issue and not a FIOS one .I watched Under World Awakening on the Starz the other day and had no issues.

Tarheel72

join:2005-12-18
Plano, TX
reply to PJL
Get a grip. I was being sarcastic. Verizon's response to all transmission issues is the same. First, they usually ask if the box is plugged in. Then they start the reboot game. Then they tell you to change out the box. Then it must be the cable in your house. On and on.
--
Go Heels!

Greg2600

join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ
reply to metalunna
My old 7100 makes a crackle/popping sound often when changing channels. It's something with the HDMI signal that my Sony hdtv picks up. Just doesn't mesh well together I guess.

PJL

Long Beach, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to Tarheel72
said by Tarheel72:

Get a grip. I was being sarcastic. Verizon's response to all transmission issues is the same. First, they usually ask if the box is plugged in. Then they start the reboot game. Then they tell you to change out the box. Then it must be the cable in your house. On and on.

IanR

join:2001-03-22
Fort Mill, SC
reply to metalunna
In general the audio quality from FIOS seems sketchy, IMHO. Sometimes it's made even worse on specific channels and specific shows. I note it in spoken dialog via the center speaker as being rather "clipped". Perhaps symptomatic of a dumbed down digital feed to save bandwidth.
Recently I also tried to watch on BBCA (689) STTNG and the background hum (supposedly of the ship) came out so bad I had to shut the program OFF.

brutus

join:2003-12-16
Tampa, FL

1 edit
I get horrible popping on my local CBS through FiOS. This week's Last Resort on ABC also was really bad.

Reyr

join:2009-01-03
Wilmington, DE
reply to metalunna
I've been on Fios since they first moved into the Philly/Delaware area...never have I had any issues with audio. I'm running optical straight from set top box to my Onkyo. Just giving feedback.

metalunna

Clifton, NJ
That's the setup I have now..to an onkyo tx-nr609. By any chance do you have the HBO/cinemax channels to listen in on? More specifically, my Max channels stink the most.

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
kudos:2
If you both happen to have the same Onkyo, you might try a firmware update:

»www.intl.onkyo.com/support/firmw···609.html

metalunna

Clifton, NJ
Thanks for that. I've been on the latest FW for a while. However, the noise happens when I hook up my old Sony as well. I was hoping the previous poster may be able to duplicate the issue if we have similar hardware.

On a side note, the last 2 FW's from onkyo introduced random clicking noises fom the reciever itself, as if I was cycling listening modes. I contacted Onkyo and they said it was a design to help protect the device and no repairs were needed. I don't buy it, but I have it in writing. Just passing info in case anyone reads through this post.

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
kudos:2
I actually have two Onkyo receivers, I don't notice the popping noise from the center channel, however one of them does have the random clicking noises coming from the receiver.

brutus

join:2003-12-16
Tampa, FL
reply to metalunna
I was curious if this is the same audio glitches other people are hearing? These are what I get on CBS for the last month or so. This is from tonight's Big Bang Theory.

vimeo.com/55583171

password is FiOS

metalunna

Clifton, NJ
The noise I get is more of a constant static/crackle noise. Like a radio with poor reception. Or wireless headphones.

It sounds so much like a broken speaker, that I swapped it out for another one..no luck.

The noise comes from the center channel mostly during high action scenes..not so much during dialogue.