spc
Search similar:

uniqs
floydb1982
join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA

floydb1982

Is Intel HD 4000 IGPU good as Nividia or AMD

Intel is claiming that there HD 4000 IGPU replaces the need to add a stand alone graphics card. I find that hard to believe when the AMD Radeon HD 6870 can handle 1080p high resolution graphics over the Intel HD 3000

1) First question
Can Intel's onboard HD 4000 Graphics run games that uses high 1080p graphics with built in IGPU vs the AMD and Nvidia stand alone PCIx16 video cards with GPU???

2) Second Question
Is an onboard IGPU as good as a stand alone video card GPU???
Relkin
join:2006-03-05
nightmare

Relkin

Can it run them? Yes.
Can it run them well? No

I have an older laptop with hd2000 graphics. It can handle some older games at low settings OK. Not sure how 4000 compares but am fairly sure it wont be replacing a proper stand alone card for any serious gamers.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to floydb1982

Premium Member

to floydb1982
My i3-550 can play blu-rays and even League of Legends with details turned down. For watching movies the iGPU is fine, but it is definitely a poor gaming solution.

It is probably on par with extremely low end GPUs, like the Nvidia GT 620 or Radeon 6400 series.
BoMarty
join:2001-02-01
Ballwin, MO

BoMarty to floydb1982

to floydb1982
said by floydb1982:

Intel is claiming that there HD 4000 IGPU replaces the need to add a stand alone graphics card. I find that hard to believe when the AMD Radeon HD 6870 can handle 1080p high resolution graphics over the Intel HD 3000

1) First question
Can Intel's onboard HD 4000 Graphics run games that uses high 1080p graphics with built in IGPU vs the AMD and Nvidia stand alone PCIx16 video cards with GPU???

2) Second Question
Is an onboard IGPU as good as a stand alone video card GPU???

1-yes and no. Can HD4000 compete with the latest video cards-NO
Can HD compete with 3 year old video cards-probablly
*I just did a recent custom build and while waiting for a a new video card, the on board HD 4000 did not keep up with the highest setting of a brand new intensive game release. When the new video card Radeon HD 7870 arrived, the game was played at highest everything settings and ran smooth.
*bottom line, if you are a gamer, get a good video card.
2-NO. Again, depends on video card. But no when compare to the higher end video cards. IF this was true we wouldnt have
any video card manufacture's

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to floydb1982

MVM

to floydb1982
It will work very well for normal PC work day stuff - what the vast majority of all PCs and video cards do. They are not designed to be gamers solutions and will not be the same as a high or medium end gamers video card.

MacGyver

join:2001-10-14
Vancouver, BC

MacGyver to floydb1982

to floydb1982
»www.videocardbenchmark.n ··· pus.html puts the Intel HD 4000 on par with a GeForce GT 230.

ccallana
Huh?
Premium Member
join:2000-08-03
Folsom, CA

ccallana to floydb1982

Premium Member

to floydb1982
I think if you look at the specifics of Intel's claim, it's not that HD4000 will replace your $400 graphics card - pretty hard to do that given the silicon real estate and power envelope constraints.

What they do say is that for most people (and OEMs building systems) they can save the expense of an add-in card by just using HD4000. It saves money, saves power, and for 99% of the things a computer is used for, works as well or better than the typical add in cards/chips used in systems.

I'm not a gamer by any means, but I have not found anything that I have thrown at my HD3000 (last year's model) that slows it down or shows any need for anything faster.

HD4000 is a pretty good graphics solution - especially for video, and even for basic gaming. The audience in this forum may be excepted from that of course, as this is not a normal cross section of the target user base

My comments are my own, not those of my Employer - Intel. I do not speak on their behalf nor do any of the statements above reflect any official comments or positions or marketing jargon from them.
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck to floydb1982

to floydb1982
Well, as someone who is running an Intel 4000 HD iGPU as part of a i7-3770 build I have to say I am quite disappointed in the performance of this iGPU for the things I want to do.

Two examples of my concerns:

1) Trying to run Flash based games in Fx or IE, everything updated, the result is an oft jerky mess with poor fill in with any serious scrolling that even on my old rig, a Core2Quad with an nVidia 9800GT wasn't a problem.

2) This one is a much bigger issue my remote desktop apps on my iPad (Splashtop HD or xDisplay) have seen their performance plummet for anything on the desktop that is graphics intensive (Though to be fair the above software claimed to be "Optimized for nVidia based cards" whatever that means)

NefCanuck