Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to neonhomer

Re: Oregon motorist billed for ripping off gas pump hose

said by neonhomer:

I don't know how those who live in states that require the fuel to be pumped for you do it.... I've lived in Florida all my life, and I've always pumped my own gas.

What do you do if you want to add an additive? Just hand them the bottle and hope the put the right amount in?

As for the price to repair? At least down here, all the pumps are equipped with quick disconnects at the pump, so if the filler nozzle is left in the vehicle when it drives away, it will pop off, and then a check ball in the disconnect seals the line. If it's caught and the nozzle and hose aren't damaged, you can just reconnect it. (This is what I was told by a pump technician who was working on a pump near me while I was refueling. He was replacing the quick disconnect fitting.)

We sit in our cars and let them do the work.

Unfortunately as someone who moved to one of those states from Connecticut I hate it when the station is busy and I have to wait to get a fill up. I am sitting there at the pump and the law is basically telling me I cannot get out and use the pump myself.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Become a regular customer at your local gas station. Be polite to the workers. They'll likely let you pump your own gas when it's busy.