uniqs
share rss forum feed

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
reply to Kilroy

Re: New Build, No POST

I haven't gotten a response back from Asus at the adress they posted in their New Egg rebutals. So, I requested an RMA for the Motherboard. I'll have the board ready to ship tomorrow if I don't hear from them by later this evening. I fully expect New Egg to claim bent pins. Though from looking at it when I reseated the CPU it looked like they were all bent by design to act as a spring to ensure contact.

I would like to address some of the responses I received.

rusdi See Profile - There is no way the CPU overheads in a fraction of a second. No way it goes from 75 degrees Fahrenheit to over 158 degrees in less than a minute, much less the second it is powered up. If it did Intel should get into the hot plate business.

Relkin See Profile - I don't have a meter, and it isn't up long enough to test. I am going to move the motherboard's 8-pin plug to the other connector on the PSU and see if that makes a difference. I can also try a different PSU, the one in my current machine, and see if that makes a difference. Kind of hope that the PSU is the problem since it is much easier to replace than the rest.

bbear2 See Profile - Assembling outside the case is bad for a few reasons. Grounding is the biggest. Physical support would be second, especially for a video card. I haven't had a case in quite some time that had a PC speaker. In the end I believe you can do more harm than good by assembling your machine outside of the case.

This isn't my first build, nor the first time I've had issues. However, I haven't built in years and this issue seems familiar, hence why I posted. I was hoping for a quick fix or sure problem would be known.

Unfortunately I believe I have an issue with one of three parts, motherboard, CPU, or PSU. The PSU is the only thing I can test since I don't have another motherboard or CPU that is known good and will work with these parts.
--
Want the shirt? - »www.despair.com/thedestructor.html
Not afiliated or making any profit from sales

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA
said by Kilroy:

bbear2 See Profile - Assembling outside the case is bad for a few reasons. Grounding is the biggest. Physical support would be second, especially for a video card. I haven't had a case in quite some time that had a PC speaker. In the end I believe you can do more harm than good by assembling your machine outside of the case.

Assembling the PC outside of the case (on top of the motherboard box with the antistatic bag below the motherboard) is actually quite a common troubleshooting mechanism.

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
said by Gordo74:

Assembling the PC outside of the case (on top of the motherboard box with the antistatic bag below the motherboard) is actually quite a common troubleshooting mechanism.

Just because it is common doesn't mean it is right. If you're not building in a case you should be building on a test stand.
--
Want the shirt? - »www.despair.com/thedestructor.html
Not afiliated or making any profit from sales

AsherN
Premium
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON
reply to Kilroy
said by Kilroy:

rusdi See Profile - There is no way the CPU overheads in a fraction of a second. No way it goes from 75 degrees Fahrenheit to over 158 degrees in less than a minute, much less the second it is powered up. If it did Intel should get into the hot plate business.

Haven't done it since the P4 days, but even then a CPU would not clear POST before thermal checking. Given the added density, yes I could see it in that short amount of time.

AsherN
Premium
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON
reply to Kilroy
said by Kilroy:

said by Gordo74:

Just because it is common doesn't mean it is right. If you're not building in a case you should be building on a test stand.

You need something to raise the MB of your work space (the box) and ensire that nothing can short the contacts on yhe underside of the board (the anti static bag).

Those rigs are great if you o a lot of testing as they allow a permanent PSU to a test setup. For the oe of we mostly all fo, box+anti static bag is great.

Relkin

join:2006-03-05
nightmare
reply to Kilroy
Here's another thought, did you try to power it up without the case switches for power/reset connected? It's rare but having a stuck switch can screw things up. Also the chances of a bad cpu are extremely low. Based on newegg and amazon reviews it does seem a bad board is the most likely.

rusdi
American V
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-28
Flippin, AR
kudos:2
reply to AsherN
said by AsherN:

said by Kilroy:

Haven't done it since the P4 days, but even then a CPU would not clear POST before thermal checking. Given the added density, yes I could see it in that short amount of time.

That's because it CAN and WILL go that high, that fast if the HSF isn't properly attached and contacting the top of the CPU correctly!

Not trying to be argumentative here, since this obviously isn't the problem, it was just a suggestion as a place to start looking.

Hope you find the trouble. Good luck!
--
Come fold for a cure with us @ Team Helix.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18

1 recommendation

reply to Kilroy
said by Kilroy:

There are hundreds of SETI/Distributed Computing Farms built outside of cases and run for years on end. It is very common and accepted.

»bhs.broo.k12.wv.us/homepage/staf···arms.htm
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?