mellobob1 to ShawSean

to ShawSean

Re: [BC] Wynndel / Creston BC

Super. Any info would be appreciated!

crestonshaw
@shawpipe.ca

crestonshaw

Anon

Mellobob, i know like it seems like forever but it will get hooked up. I am on goat river road north and was just hooked up last month. There is a single tech that does the new installations (maintenance crews do the drops to the houses) and he is a very busy guy. After my stretch of road i know he had a 20 page list of people to hookup up in east arrow creek. Apparently the big stumbling block is almost no rural homes are setup for cable so the installations are taking 2 - 3 times as long as normal hookups.

The speeds are decent( I am on extreme), but they havent done the pure digital cutover in Creston yet so extreme is the limit for now. Apparently the new head end in Creston is close to completion which should see us go all digital within the year.

At least the rural broadband funding is starting to pay off, i have only been staring at the coiled up shaw cable on my power pole for the last 10 months!

Thank you Shaw!

I hope this answers some questions for you. I can PM you the installers contact info if you like, just let me know.
mellobob1
join:2012-08-18

mellobob1

Thanks for the update! "Seems like forever" is the understatement of the year! I've been waiting for about 10 years now

If you can PM any info I'd really appreciate it! Best I've been able to get from Shaw CS is that they are doing Arrow Creek and then they will do homes on the hwy 3a. Nothing about Wynndel. I do know that there is a coil of coax at the bottom of my road ...

BTW, did you get a flyer in the mail offering service? Nothing here ... so it might be a (long) while yet.

And, due to the stupid deal the govt. and Telus made in regard to the dinky wireless ISPs they have set up, Telus have signed a new 3 year no-comp agreement. Sorry, I'm ranting ... this is the dumbest approach to broadband I've seen.

crestonshaw
@telus.net

crestonshaw

Anon

Cant seem to get my login to work, i will PM you the number when i get back to Creston next week ( my login is cached on my main machine). I didnt recieve any notice, the installer basically showed up at my door, said they were lighting up the node and went over the promotions. I did have a bit of a heads up it was coming, a few weeks prior to the actual hookup they started terminating the coils of cables on the poles with splitters and had installed some amplifiers.

And i hear you with the whole Telus and local WISP thing, its a joke.
mellobob1
join:2012-08-18

mellobob1

Yes, please do. I'd appreciate any heads up stuff you can give me.

I can tell you that some time ago a CS agent I contacted (he was in Calgary) contacted "the lady in charge of this stuff" (I'm guessing she is in Cranbrook) and he told me that later this year Shaw would be doing connections along hwy 3a ... but had no plans for doing Wynndel. And, I've had a similar confirmation recently from this forum. Alas, I don't live on the highway!

I find this all to be very disappointing! And I really have to wonder what we good folk in Wynndel have done to tick off both Telus and Shaw. I know that Shaw got a very small amount of federal money ($10,000.00) to do hookups in Arrow Creek. And, I could probably go door to door here and raise that if it'd guaranty that we would get real broadband here.

Is there a wish list I can add a request to which would impact Shaw?
ravenchilde
join:2011-04-01

ravenchilde

If your community can get the money together you should talk to Shaw as a group. Where there is a will there may be a way. It's worth investigating IMO.

yep
@clearnet.com

yep

Anon

all the funding that went into the wireless providers in Wynndel is probably gonna kill it for us. Fortunately for me i'm on hwy3a, though I have phoned shaw loads of times and keep getting told to phone back in a few months.

fingers crossed for shaw, air card is killing my wallet