spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Gundy
Premium
join:2002-10-29

New Parts, Different Errors Every Post...

Sigh.. where do I start... I ordered some parts from Newegg last weekend and got them this afternoon. I installed everything and got random errors throughout the posting process. First error was in reference to an IDE error, so I went through the motherboard BIOS and set it to IDE instead of AHS(C?)I or whatever it is. It's a WD Raptor Drive I had connected through SATA on my old setup. Motherboard that I just ordered is ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard. Is this normal? Also on boot SOMETIMES the mobo would have lights on, and sometimes it wouldn't have any lights on what so ever...

And the other error was a Memory Not Installed. I checked my RAM in my roommates computer and it worked fine, I would try different slots and it would work... then after rebooting to install drivers it would go batshit and blue screen and report that the selected spots I had ram in were not reading correctly (MEMORY NOT INSTALLED). The ram is CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600.

Randomly would get blue screen and crashes throughout driver installation, frustrated I called newegg support who walked me through some troubleshooting. Turns out there were some bent CPU pins at the corner of my cpu slot. Unsure if that was caused from me or some sort of shipping problem. Newegg is doing a refund and what not no problem, however I wanted to check with this forum for input on what could have been causing the issue.

Also installed EVGA Precision for my new 660TI I ordered, and it reports it as running at 324mhz and will randomly jump up to its boosted clock.. I am assuming it underclocks itself when not in use?

Is this ASRock mother board crap? It got a Toms Hardware Award so I assumed it would be alright for general gaming use.

EDIT: Overall I'm hoping it was just a bad board, as everything I ordered seemed to be working properly BUT the board.
--
| Im not really a ego maniac im just really good at what I do... |

Expand your moderator at work

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to Gundy

Re: New Parts, Different Errors Every Post...

Hard to tell the cause - all of those things can be caused by bad motherboard or a bad CPU.

Unfortunately - for things like this - finding a good local shop to help determine the issue. Many folks like Asrock - I personally don't care for them but anyone can have a bad board.

"Also on boot SOMETIMES the mobo would have lights on, and sometimes it wouldn't have any lights on what so ever..."
This sounds like it could be a PSU issue as well. Ram issues can be caused by a PSU going out (like on my wife's PC).

It is going to be a process of elimination unless you want to go with a local shop to determine the cause.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to Gundy

Is this a completely new build? Are you adding components to an existing build? Are you building new with some existing components? Can you explain that part a little better?

Gundy
Premium
reply to Gundy

Sorry my mind was busy last night and I was all over the place.

Basically I ordered new parts to merge with old. I'll list everything..

Ordered a brand new:

Asrock Z77 Extreme 4
Corsair Vengenace RAM
i5 3570K
eVGA 660TI

Merged it with my:

Corsair 750W PSU
WD Raptor 10,000RPM HD
A+ Diablo Case

--

Ended up RMA'ing the motherboard which newegg did right and sent me a new one. With the random errors I was receiving it only seemed like the motherboard was to blame. I tried my (new) RAM and PSU in my roommates PC and they worked fine.. not to mention when I packed all the new parts back up, I hooked the PSU back to my old system and it works fine. So that eliminates HD, PSU, and (new) RAM.

Some google research showed that this is a common problem with Asrock mobos and bent cpu socket pins. Random errors, mostly referring to the different RAM sockets. Funny thing is, sometimes it was able to boot and everything was reading properly. Then like I said in my previous post, upon driver installation I would get random blue screens.
--

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to Gundy

I would have guessed RAM given the weird things you were having happen. You'll see soon enough once you get your new board. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Gundy
Premium

said by Dissembled:

I would have guessed RAM given the weird things you were having happen. You'll see soon enough once you get your new board. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I thought so too, I tried just one ram in one slot close to the CPU socket and it worked fine on boot up, again would get errors but none related to RAM. Once I used any other RAM slot or both my sticks of ram in any of the slots I would get memory errors.

We will see friday I suppose.

EDIT: If it does turn out to be RAM it'll be easier to get a replacement as I can pick some up locally rather than having to wait on an RMA process. On a side note too, can't say I'm to pleased with venturing off the main producers for motherboards.. Assrock hasn't impressed me .
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

Can you run memtest on the ram via your friend's computer to verify it is working?

Also, I know this is for SSDs but am not sure if it holds true for HDDs--if you install the OS under IDE mode, it requires a reinstall if you switch to AHCI. It's a bad idea to take a current install for Windows and try to "transplant" the HDD with everything intact on the drive.

Back everything up to external or DVDs then zero the drive with HD Tune Pro. THEN ensure the mobo is set to AHCI and reinstall Windows once everything is working.

There's always a chance you'll get a piece of DOA equipment when you order electronics. I just completed an Ivy Bridge build with an $85 Asrock motherboard and the rig has been screaming along without a hiccup. YMMV.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

FizzyMyNizzy

join:2004-05-29
New York, NY

1 edit
reply to Gundy

Your gtx 660 ti is fine. When you are not playing games, or watching movies. It will lower it clock speed. Most people call it 2D clock speed. When you play games or watch video it will go back to 900+ mhz speed 3D clock speed. I do notice nvidia is having an issue with boost speed. Some times in game you will be on boost speed. A bit later boost is turn off for no reason. Tho, this bug doesnt happen when you benchmark using 3dmark 11, heaven etc.

IF you are playing a game and it is stuck on 2D speed than you might want to check the bios, check the installation, maybe try the newest beta driver etc.

Gundy
Premium

said by FizzyMyNizzy:

Your gtx 660 ti is fine. When you are not playing games, or watching movies. It will lower it clock speed. Most people call it 2D clock speed. When you play games or watch video it will go back to 900+ mhz speed 3D clock speed. I do notice nvidia is having an issue with boost speed. Some times in game you will be on boost speed. A bit later boost is turn off for no reason. Tho, this bug doesnt happen when you benchmark using 3dmark 11, heaven etc.

IF you are playing a game and it is stuck on 2D speed than you might want to check the bios, check the installation, maybe try the newest beta driver etc.

Yeah throughout some research I found theres a setting within the nVidia driver setting control panel that lets you turn off this 'power saving management' and always be at its full clock speed. It just caught me off guard when I installed all my new hardware and was getting random crashes.
--

Gundy
Premium
reply to Krisnatharok

Is there a simple and english translation explaining these two settings? I was under the idea my hdd raptor drive was hooked up via sata not an ide cable... But I'm starting to think this setting is referring to some type of mode rather than cable....
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

said by Gundy:

Is there a simple and english translation explaining these two settings? I was under the idea my hdd raptor drive was hooked up via sata not an ide cable... But I'm starting to think this setting is referring to some type of mode rather than cable....

You're correct. They are two different modes for the SATA controller.

Koitsu can probably sum it up the best, but since I am a user and not an engineer, I'll leave that to him.

In the meantime, here's a decent write-up of AHCI: »expertester.wordpress.com/2008/0···vantage/
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:2

Did you install the latest BIOS for the motherboard?

Gundy
Premium
reply to Gundy

Got the new board today, installed everything and it booted up without a hitch. However after installing most of the drivers from Assrocks website, I am hanging on B4 code at bios post ( USB HOT PLUG? )

It'll post after about 2 minutes, but its a bit ridiculous I have to wait that long for reboots but not causing any 'real' problems. Is there a fix for this I am not catching?
--

asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium
join:2012-05-09
kudos:3

Unplug all usb devices while it is booting including any mice.
Does it now boot properly?

kvn864

join:2001-12-18
Sun City, AZ
kudos:1
reply to Gundy

Also make sure to clear CMOS after BIOS upgrade.
I have the same motherboard, and had issues with it, it wouldn't post, just sit on ASrock screen. After pressing reset button 2 or 3 times it'd work fine, and then if I shut down the PC I was back to this problem. Strange. CMOS reset fixed it, give it a try.