how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rtbond

join:2007-11-28
Hopatcong, NJ

Travel Channel HD and SA 4250HD

My Scientific Atlanta 4250HD STB will not tune channel 763 (displays "????"), the Travel Channel HD on the Morris system. My new Samsung STB will tune 763, as will my CableCARD based HDHomeRun tuner.

I called Cablevision and the only help they could provide was to tune the SD channel (96 on my system) and the STB will automatically redirect to the HD channel (which it indeed does). This does not, however, address the channel surfing problem, where when surfing the 700 series of HD channels the Travel Channel is missing (i.e., 763 is skipped).

There are no blocked channels configured on the 4250HD.

Any ideas what might be happening with the 4250HD box to cause this behavior?

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
kudos:3

Is it listed as on Channel 763 in the TV Guide for your area?

»tvlistings.optimum.net/grid.jsp

rtbond

Hopatcong, NJ

1 edit

Actually 763 is not listed in the guide you linked to, but it is listed in the Channel Lineup for the Morris systems (see link below)

»www.optimum.com/lineup.jsp?regionId=27

So the Channel Line-up (763 = Travel Channel HD) seems out of sync with the guide.

As stated in the original post, my Samsung STBs tune channel 763 as the Travel Channel HD, as does my Windows Media Center PC (using the HDHomeRun prime tuner)

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

Well. I have a 4250 in Yonkers and the channel is not listed in the guide but it is listed in the lineup on 763. It does not show up if I tune to 763. So it is not just your system but whether it is deliberate or simply a screw up I have no idea. Obviously the channel is being transmitted but the info of placing it on 763 is omitted in the setup for the 4250 or ignored by the 4250.
--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.

rtbond

Hopatcong, NJ

Yes I agree, there seems be be a funky provisioning of the SA 4250HD with regard to the treatment of the Travel Channel HD (i.e., logical channel 763) or the box itself ignoring the HD Channel assignment. It obviously knows the location of the HD channel as it is able to redirect to the HD program when you direct tune the SD channel (96 on my system).

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

2 edits
reply to rtbond

I'm on the Hauppauge system on LI. When going through the guide in the 700 range, I don't see any channel with the call sign for Travel Channel HD (SA 8300). Sounds like it would be worth contacting CV about this.

Also, the PC/Mac app shows only 96 listed for Travel Channel.

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
reply to rtbond

Cablevision got rid of 763 on the HD boxes and it's now a combined SD/HD channel on 96. That was done awhile ago and it seems like Cablevision didn't update the lineups to reflect that.

rtbond

Hopatcong, NJ

said by kickass69:

Cablevision got rid of 763 on the HD boxes and it's now a combined SD/HD channel on 96. That was done awhile ago and it seems like Cablevision didn't update the lineups to reflect that.

I recall Travel Channel changes about 2 years ago. I cannot understand the logic in removing channel 763. Equally puzzling is the guide data from the new Samsung SMT-C5320 boxes indeed has the Travel Channel HD on 763, as does the Guide in Windows Media Center (which is based on the CableCARD data sent to the HDHomeRun Prime tuner) Both these device tune the Travel Channel HD on 763.

Anyway, not the end of the world, just a bit puzzling.

kickass69

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

That's interesting that the Samsung boxes tune to 763 but the SAs don't. Cablecard devices as mentioned above have the Pre-HD channel mappings...still wish they didn't do that with the boxes or atleast have the option to turn that off so people with HD boxes can record SD and not waste hard drive space and watch SD channels instead of 'faux' HD that stretches the picture.

tiger_scout

join:2010-02-20
reply to rtbond

Wow I forgot all about the Travel Channel. Its like it was demoted when they made it channel 96.

rtbond

Hopatcong, NJ
reply to kickass69

said by kickass69:

Cablecard devices as mentioned above have the Pre-HD channel mappings.

I am not sure what you mean by this comment. If you are referring to Windows Media Center (WMC) viewing/recording via the HDHomeRun Prime (a CableCARD device), then this appears to the have the same channel map as the new Samsung box (which include 763 as the Travel Channel HD). The one difference is the HDHomeRun Prime will tune and record SD channels (e.g., it will tune the SD program on channel 96 [Travel Channel SD] and will not do a forced re-tune to the HD program. Similarly if the HDHomeRun Prime tunes 141, ESPN News SD is shown (no auto re-tune to ESPN NEWS HD or perform any stretching of the SD image)

kickass69

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

That's exactly what I mean. The original mappings before they had lower channel numbers mapped to it's HD counterpart where one could choose channel 2 and have it be the SD channel and so on.

Cablecard devices are unable to do such SD to HD mapping and as such were left alone and just the SA boxes was doing that. I figure this comes back to two things... 1. CV accidentally put back 763 on the Samsung mappings and that eventually it'll disappear again or 2. CV preemptly put 763 on the Samsungs and the SAs will follow soon after.

rtbond

Hopatcong, NJ

Great, we are in "violent agreement".