saillaw
Premium Member
join:2007-05-08
Dismay

1 recommendation

saillaw

Premium Member

[D3] Blizzard are dicks?

First I apologize if this was already posted and I missed it.

I wanted to share a story I just read at IncGamers.com.

Blizzard react angrily to IncGamers David Brevik interview
20 August 2012 by Paul Younger
Last night we posted an interview with Diablo creator David Brevik who is currently working on the ARPG Marvel Heroes. Over night things heated up and sadly members of the Diablo 3 development team took offence at David’s responses in our interview.

This is not how you conduct yourself
When I conducted the interview I asked David to be honest and open about the latest Diablo title, after all, he had invested years in helping build up the franchise name and created two outstanding ARPGs with the first two Diablo titles.

This morning I think the whole industry was saddened to see the Blizzard Diablo 3 team hit Facebook with very uncalled for comments. Not only was David polite but he was also entitled to his opinion, just like anyone who has picked up and played Diablo 3 since launch.

Having followed Diablo 3 more closely than most, I was extremely disappointed to see that Blizzard can not take criticism from their customers or from members of the videogame industry. It is highly unprofessional to react in the way they did.

As we all know, and David quite rightly pointed out in the interview, the Diablo 3 team made some fundamental game design errors which effectively turned many of the fans off the game in a matter of weeks. Not even Blizzard can deny that Diablo 3 has been hit by massive game issues, despite being alerted to them by the community for years, which is why the Facebook responses this morning were all the more shocking.

It is refreshing when a developer speaks his/her mind, the industry needs more of it. Constructive criticism from developers and the community is of the utmost importance during a game’s development cycle to help make a game the best it can be. Developers need to embrace this feedback, something Blizzard has failed to do for a long time now.

As Blizzard watched players numbers drop after launch they had to take notice of the community, Blizzard CEO Mike Morhaime stressed in a statement to the players he wanted this to be game that was played for many years to come so action had to be taken and fast. It was only after all the backlash from the players and the lack of people actually logging in that anything was done.

Blizzard has gone back to the drawing board to sort out the endgame and intemisation with patch v1.0.4, and as a Diablo player, I am hoping that these changes will revitalise the game and help bring the franchise back to its former glory.

What the current Blizzard team seem to forget is that although Diablo 3 sold 10 million copies on release, it was the previous two games that more than helped shift these numbers. David Brevik is part of the Diablo franchise legacy and Blizzard should not forget that.

If you have not seen the interview then you can watch it below…

»youtu.be/wT_XiT2mifo

From Ownedcore:

OwnedCore News

Blizzard taking close-mindedness to the next level?
by HI5 Published on 08-20-2012 05:19 PM

As probably all of you know, since release of Diablo 3 and even earlier since announcement of Mists of Pandaria - blizzard is having big issues with taking criticism. Jay Wilson, Chris Metzen and other blizzard workers are constantly trying to convince us that their semi-good ideas are brilliant and that we will love them eventually no matter what we're saying.

But just yesterday Blizzard took it to the whole new level - Jay Wilson and other Blizzard Developers has posted very non-professional and rude comments about incgamers interview with David Brevik, on Chris Haga facebook page (screen and link to the interview below). You might wonder why they've acted in such a childish way? was David Brevik rude in his interview? -no. Was he speaking honestly what he don't like about the game -yes (in a very polite way). Yet the Blizzard developers did something that professionals should never do (as example Jay Wilson comment "F**k that loser")

This is not the way professional should act, and its very sad that long year game developers company not only can't take criticism from their own customers / fans, but also from the other game developers.

You can find full article about this whole situation and the video with original interview on incgamers.com Blizzard react angrily to IncGamers David Brevik interview | IncGamers.com

Screen with comments:

TheThing
join:2012-08-10

TheThing

the only real non-professional comment I see is the Jay Wilson coment.

And as Game Director I'm sure the interview looks worst on him, since D3 is bombing

bottom line is Blizzard has gotten too big

saillaw
Premium Member
join:2007-05-08
Dismay

saillaw

Premium Member

Also the Jill Harrington comments

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
join:2010-08-24
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

»Re: Official Diablo 3 Thread

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to saillaw

Premium Member

to saillaw
They have a turd and they know it.
ohh
join:2011-07-16
San Jose, CA

ohh to saillaw

to saillaw
Yes, therefore things like this »[D3] Best Diablo 3 Review?

and many other reviews that poop on blizzard.

Tweakbl
join:2008-09-25
Rosedale, WV

1 recommendation

Tweakbl to saillaw

to saillaw
I will call it now. Fire Jay Wilson and the designers under him should at least be retained to alternative projects. Get new meat into Diablo III to save it. Otherwise screw it.

Koil
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC

Koil to saillaw

Premium Member

to saillaw
Jay posted an apology....It's in the main thread, follow Jobbie's link

»Re: Official Diablo 3 Thread
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO

me1212 to saillaw

to saillaw
Yes, he made a fast selling and crappy game. The others made the franchise a success.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

There really is a huge difference between huge pre-sales through marketing and hype (D3, SWTOR) and continued success through solid gameplay (League of Legends, WoW).

FizzyMyNizzy
join:2004-05-29
New York, NY

FizzyMyNizzy to saillaw

to saillaw
I am sure I wont buy diablo 4 and sc3 when ever that comes out. Nothing new comes out with this blizzard. Is like those stupid movies sequel. I miss the old blizzard.

Change the number. More or less sh-edit. Up the graphics skin.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· aV2fEeMM

Sc 2 i only play it for 5 mins. Not sure why i bought it. Diablo 3 only last 2-3 weeks.

shinjuru

join:2000-10-29
West Coast

shinjuru to saillaw

to saillaw
»Official Diablo 3 Thread