share rss forum feed

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to El Quintron

Re: Happy Returns

My Gigabyte board is currently running F7 bios. Is it worth it to flash to F8?

I've had no performance issues.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

said by Ghastlyone:

My way of doing it is the following

First time the computer is assembled, update to the latest BIOS at the time

After that look at what the new ver offers and see if it sound like its worth it.

Then on servers at work any time the OS is wiped and reloaded (ie 2003 to 2008R2 or just being re-purposed) I run the HP firmware update DVD (it updates the bios/Raid controller/Nic/Harddrive/iLo and any other firmwares that are on the system)

What I don't do is just randomly grab a bios update and toss it on, on a currently fine system.

FizzyMyNizzy

join:2004-05-29
New York, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to Ghastlyone

said by Ghastlyone:

I vote you do flash it up to F8. IMO

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV

Does flashing the bios have a potential to wipe my OS?

FizzyMyNizzy

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

said by Ghastlyone:

Does flashing the bios have a potential to wipe my OS?

Maybe the settings in the bios. It shouldn't wipe your OS. lol.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV

Haha, hey I'm just wondering. I've never flashed a Bios before. So I have no clue what could happen.

FizzyMyNizzy

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

said by Ghastlyone:

Haha, hey I'm just wondering. I've never flashed a Bios before. So I have no clue what could happen.

Oh. There are times it will wipe all your bios settings, you just have to set it again. Like IDE to AHCI, disable onboard sound, disable onboard graphics, video card to PEG(Unless your mainboard is on AUTO.) etc.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

said by FizzyMyNizzy:

said by Ghastlyone:

Oh. There are times it will wipe all your bios settings, you just have to set it again. Like IDE to AHCI, disable onboard sound, disable onboard graphics, video card to PEG(Unless your mainboard is on AUTO.) etc.

Add "recreate your RAID array" to that list, too.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·WIND Mobile
reply to Ghastlyone

said by Ghastlyone:

Take notes if you have it really customized that's what I usually do.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

jmn1207
Premium
join:2000-07-19
Ashburn, VA
kudos:1

When I updated my P8Z77-V bios, I did remember to change the settings back to RAID, but my PC would not boot because I had left the video setting at default instead of PCIe. I'm using a GTX-570 graphics card and I never installed the integrated graphics drivers, so when the bios was flashed, the video setting was put back to iGPU mode, which obviously the system could not recognize without any drivers.

Other than that 2 minute scare that was easy to resolve, I've had no problems with the motherboard.

I made sure to have all of the motherboard drivers and bios downloaded and unzipped on a USB thumb drive. I never even bothered with the installation disk that came with it. Easiest PC build I've ever had, and I do this about every 9 months.

Love it so far, and it does seem fast.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·WIND Mobile

said by jmn1207:

Love it so far, and it does seem fast.

As I stated upthread, when I rebuilt it with the replacement Mobo, I was floored by how fast it was. I love this thing now that it's working right.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

FizzyMyNizzy

New York, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to Krisnatharok

said by Krisnatharok:

said by FizzyMyNizzy:

said by Ghastlyone:

Add "recreate your RAID array" to that list, too.

That's why I put etc. >.>